Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 08:36 PM

8 posts, read 25,623 times

Advertisements

Hello I was looking for information about Winnipeg, How are the trades (tool & Die) out there? if any. How are the schools?
Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:54 PM

17 posts, read 60,974 times
I lived in winnipeg for 4 years but this was back in the mid to late 80s. I know things have changed economically as well as ethically since I lived there, but one thing will never change... IT'S COLD AS HECK!!

Old 03-09-2009, 12:06 AM

39 posts, read 284,611 times
It's moderately cold...but you don't know cold until you've been to the territories...or Churchill, Manitoba! If you're going to live in Winnipeg, or spend an extended amount of time there, I highly recommend taking the VIA Rail Hudson Bay train to Churchill. This is the most northern point in Canada accessible by regular scheduled trains, and there are no roads. The only other option is flying, but this is very expensive.

Winnipeg is a very nice city, with fresh air and a lot of green space. It's home to the windiest intersection in the world, according to the guiness book of world records, at Portage St. and Main St.
In the summer, a popular way of getting around town in by bike. Although there aren't much in the way of paths, it is a very popular meens of transit. It's quite a flat city, with a lot of agricultural industries surrounding it, especially various types of mills.
Unfortunately, Winnipeg doesn't have much of a night life...I was there last summer, and much to my dismay, everything seemed to shut down around 4-5pm, when everyone would hop in their trucks and head out to the suburbs and surrounding rural areas. The French Quarter seemed to me to be the most vibrant, while the financial district (at Portage and Main) was like a ghost town, after dark.
Winnipeg is very much a suburban city; drive for ten minutes or so in any direction away from downtown centre at portage/main, and you'll start to come across housing developements, and before long the mills, and then the farmlands.

Winnipeg isn't a very diverse city, but aside from the caucasion residents, there is a fairly large community of natives (inuits) who have migrated from the northern parts of the problem for school and work, and the city also contains a fairly large Muslim population. The French Quarter might be a bit misleading...I didn't here any French there!

Fun fact: the city wasn't designed to be driven in by large transport trucks, so long-haul truckers delivering goods to winnipeg drop of their loads in designated lots on the outskirts of town, and specially trained workers take it the rest of the way to its final destination.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:16 PM

4 posts, read 20,714 times
Would have to say that Winnipeg IS actually very culturally diverse and has the largest multi-cultural festival in the world, annually. This is put on by each cultural community and there are many, 42 cultural groups participate. The French population is the largest ouside of Quebec in all of Canada. A reference to a less than vibrant night life in the summer is a bit misleading. There are always many things going on but most definitely with all the lakes and beaches within one hour+ of the city and because the winters are cold, Winnipeggers soak up every single second of summer and are crazy-busy taking off to the lakes, fishing, cottages, camping, beaches, music festivals all over the province, visiting and entertaining so at times it seems like everyone clears out of the city. There is usally good night life in the Italian area, patios, cafes, restaurants and lots of people walking Corydon Avenue with gelato; also the Forks is a busy area for night life. The schools are good but you have to ask people and visit them to decide what needs your kids have and what area should you live in. Some public school are better than others. There are many French immersion schools if that appeals to you as a second language for your child. There are also excellent private schools and two universities and because you can get anywhere in about 20 minutes, that is great for university students commuting to campus. Don't know anything about the tool and die trades but the new airport under construction is being built to become a huge cargo hub in Noth America and will likely provide many new opportunites for employment. Winnipeg is the geographical centre of North America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada