U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 08:05 PM

58 posts, read 143,592 times

Advertisements

From the research that I have done so far, it sounds as if you have options throughout regular schooling but to attend a Canadian Univ. you must be bi-lingual. Y or N?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 08:11 PM

21,962 posts, read 27,416,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohdi1 View Post
From the research that I have done so far, it sounds as if you have options throughout regular schooling but to attend a Canadian Univ. you must be bi-lingual. Y or N?
No you don't. The vast majority of universities in Canada teach in English, and in the vast area of Canada outside Quebec, all of the major universities except one (Moncton) teach in English, with a handful (less than 5) bilingual ones like the University of Ottawa thrown into the mix.

Most universities in Quebec teach in French of course, although Quebec also has a few English universities, the most famous being McGill.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:11 PM

321 posts, read 697,134 times
I know lots of people who go to Canadian universities - for example Brock University which is just down the road from where I live - and they don't speak a word of French.

Canadians are encouraged to be bilingual as a welcome to our French Canadian bretheren but it isn't law. I know only the French I learned in high school. I've yet to find it a problem anywhere.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:31 PM

20 posts, read 98,110 times
lol, unless you're going to the backwoods of Quebec, you don't actually need to know French anywhere in Canada, definitely not outside of Quebec.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:46 PM

1,049 posts, read 5,850,671 times
I think you're confusing immigration to Canada with admission to Canadian universities. If you speak French in addition to English, you basically gain a fraction more eligibility points to be considered for immigration.

Saying that, unless you're going to a French language university, you don't need to speak French to get admitted to a Canadian university. Most of Canada's universities are entirely in English, just like the majority of Canada. Quebec is really the only province in Canada where French is the primary first language.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:44 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,208,625 times
Nooooooooot at all.

I go to a canadian university (dal) and all I can say is "Bonjour. j'mapple pat. TABERNACKKK"

Even at most Quebec universities (my dad went to mcgill and spoke very little french) you don't need to know any french

Old 04-01-2009, 06:48 AM

21,962 posts, read 27,416,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Nooooooooot at all.

I go to a canadian university (dal) and all I can say is "Bonjour. j'mapple pat. TABERNACKKK"

Even at most Quebec universities (my dad went to mcgill and spoke very little french) you don't need to know any french
In fact, you *do* need to know French at *most* Quebec universities, because a good dozen of them teach in French. Only three teach in English: McGill, Concordia and Bishop’s.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:09 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,268,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In fact, you *do* need to know French at *most* Quebec universities, because a good dozen of them teach in French. Only three teach in English: McGill, Concordia and Bishop’s.
That's right. Universite de Montreal is in French as are Laval and the others. I go to Concordia where still a huge percentage of the students are francophones who are fluent in English. We also have the option to take several class in French if we prefer.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:34 PM

1,049 posts, read 5,850,671 times
Yes, in Quebec one needs French if planning to attend a French language university. Outside of Quebec, one does NOT need French to attend university as practically every university out of Quebec is an English language university.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:50 AM

43 posts, read 75,201 times
I spent 5 years at the University of Waterloo, and in all that time I never heard a single word in French.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or