U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:53 PM

485 posts, read 1,460,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamseCA View Post
Toronto has never been a top earning city. In the last 20 years entirely 90% of wage gains have gone to 5% of earners. This is a nationwide trend. Most Torontonians are living paycheck to paycheck. All the decent paying jobs are now in the bloated public sector which is on the verge of imploding sometime this decade. Most University graduates are having a hard time finding anything over 15-20/hr these days. If you are making 70k out of school you should consider yourself lucky.
Bay St. and Senior Public Sector I am assuming you are referring to... Agreed. Bay St. is a goal for many Torontonians not so much for the work but the pay... $70k out of school is definitely not unusual in Calgary and Northern Alberta though.

Many people take the income hit in Toronto for the lifestyle. This occurs in Vancouver as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 08:23 AM

85 posts, read 85,850 times
I make about $65k in Dallas and do okay, but I have an $80k job offer coming up in downtown Toronto.

I'm a 24 year old Network Engineer with years of experience and heavy references, and I think living in downtown Toronto would rock at my age and income level. I have a car payment and some CC debt I am paying down but other than that, if you were in my shoes, would yo do it? I want to store my car up there and ride public transit everywhere, I hate driving!

I think I could maintain my lifestyle, even edge out in front of where I am now by a little bit with the salary jump even with the cost of living.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetter2 View Post
I make about $65k in Dallas and do okay, but I have an $80k job offer coming up in downtown Toronto.

I'm a 24 year old Network Engineer with years of experience and heavy references, and I think living in downtown Toronto would rock at my age and income level. I have a car payment and some CC debt I am paying down but other than that, if you were in my shoes, would yo do it? I want to store my car up there and ride public transit everywhere, I hate driving!

I think I could maintain my lifestyle, even edge out in front of where I am now by a little bit with the salary jump even with the cost of living.
Please let us know if you take the job and how it turns out to be with the increased salary. I'm a 29yo sysadmin from Washington DC and am curious to find out what kind of salary would be "enough" to maintain a similar lifestyle in Toronto..

Old 07-29-2011, 02:07 PM

3,098 posts, read 2,102,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetter2 View Post

80K is sufficient, I think on average that is a good salary and about right for Net-Eng, but to be honest, I dont see many guys making 6 figures, but 80K-90 for senior level sure.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avironneur View Post
I'm out in Waterloo but our salaries are more or less on par with Toronto (we have an office there and they are paid the exact same as we are)

I have interviewed and received offers from the IT divisions of the larger banks (CIBC BMO TD) and they were 10k more but less vacation etc

You can live downtown but you wouldn't be in a large brand new condo on Lakeshore I'll tell you that much if single unless you are debt-free

I'm not sure what field you are looking, but 80k it would be starting position in IT. Helpdesk junior makes about 70k in banks/insurances.+10-15% bonus.
with your degree plus 10 years exp you should be in 90-120k range with 15-40k bonus plus 10% RRSP etc. and this is not management position.
You are way under paid or doing something wrong.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 488 times
All sounds good. wish I was born in Canada. For us immigrants with tonnes of experience and even PhD, we cant but curse our leaders in Africa. I'm sad with all this experience all I can get is $25000. Still better than most African countries except a few like Nigeria, South Africa and maybe Ghana. Sad Sad Sad. No one will give me a job that will pay enough to feed my family. Many times I sit on my stairs and cry. I cant go home cos my leaders stink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada