U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 12:04 PM

231 posts, read 555,029 times

Advertisements

I start law school this fall and am planning to move out of state (out of Florida) and move up north. - To a state where I can get married or foresee gay marriage happening for that state soon. I’m reviewing all my options.

My Father was born in Canada; I was born here in Florida. According to the new citizenship law I think I might be able to claim citizenship. So I need to start considering a few things about Canada. How is your economy right now? Availability of clerical/legal jobs? Weird taxes I should know about? I know your school is cheaper and I think I should be able to transfer to a law school up there w/out much trouble. I'm thinking Toranto..maybe..I need a liberal environment with a city life. I like to shop and do stuff. I don't want to live in a city where businesses close at 5pm or aren't open on Sundays.

Of course your laws are different.. Free speech? Separation of church and State (I'm an atheist if that matters)...

Any advice you might have would be most appreciated. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 12:45 PM

54 posts, read 293,408 times
I am not sure about the economy, IMO it is okay, but I still have my job so I might be biased.

In regards to city living etc. Toronto is a beautiful city! Very liberal, seperation of church and state is apparent. The city is always busy, and there is plenty to do at night, there is tons of shopping and there is always something to do on Sundays.

Winters are cold, as you have most likely heard, but subsequently there is plenty to do indoors and involving snow and ice! fun fun fun.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:35 PM

175 posts, read 1,510,665 times
Economy is NOT good, especially in manufacturing sector. So don't get your hopes too high right now. I don't think church is such a big deal in Canada in general as in the US. Who in the city still go to church anyways. People from small towns do because they have nothing else to do.
In terms of shopping, Toronto is fantastic, however things maybe a bit more pricy than down there. And stores usually close at 6 or 7pm on Sundays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada