U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:02 PM

986 posts, read 2,287,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
A "black accent" huh........Wow that sounds really bad "Not uniform"? says WHO? Society??????

Why are people always trying to judge you by how you DRESS, SPEAK, LIVE YOUR LIFE, HANG OUT WITH?

Even if they have a 'BLACK ACCENT" what does that mean? They are GHETTO and don't fit in or belong?
I didn't say anything about judging a person by her/his accent. It's just a fact that many Blacks in America have a distinctive accent. That's all.

Btw, this reminds me of a similar thing with the Pacific Northwest. Blacks who grew up there generally don't have any discernible accent.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~patrickp/AAVE.html

CAL: Topics: Dialects: African American English

It's AMERICAN culture, I'm sure you can understand that right? Which is why Canadian Blacks don't have the same "accent".
Thanks for the links. Even in the US this AA accent seems to be missing in certain regions, like in the Pacific Northwest, as I mentioned above.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunpack View Post
Neutre, what is it you are looking to find out? Blacks that are French, Dutch, Italian, etc., all having an accent that are distinctive to the country that they are in. American Blacks, have a much different history than most Canadian Blacks (or other Blacks) so although we (Canadians) share borders we have a different history.

Tell me, what is the "recognizable characteristics" you are are referring to?
You're right.
I can't really explain the characteristics, but there's this accent which when you hear it, you can be 90% sure that it's a Black person speaking. Some Blacks even seem to be able to switch it on and off. There's a girl I know who does that.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:22 PM

604 posts, read 1,192,794 times
in my sisters Queens university textbook (i forget the course maybe pshychology?) they said blacks often speak a different dialect. Like a white person might say "he is tired" while a black person might say "he be tired". that was actually what the book said. Im pretty sure it also said that they may speak like that with their black friends, but then they can change it off.
a lot of black people i know have like black slang.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:25 PM

10 posts, read 18,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
You're right.
I can't really explain the characteristics, but there's this accent which when you hear it, you can be 90% sure that it's a Black person speaking. Some Blacks even seem to be able to switch it on and off. There's a girl I know who does that.
I am curious of your motive for this thread? Are you an employer that conducts phone interviews and wishes to know what is distinctive about all Black voices so that you can hire (or not hire) accordingly? If you are truly intrested in lingustics and phonetics, maybe you should enroll in a few university courses and get scientific, historic, valued and respected opinions on a topic that appears to be quite delicate. These forums, I have found, does have its share of slack jawed yokels

Old 06-02-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
in my sisters Queens university textbook (i forget the course maybe pshychology?) they said blacks often speak a different dialect. Like a white person might say "he is tired" while a black person might say "he be tired". that was actually what the book said. Im pretty sure it also said that they may speak like that with their black friends, but then they can change it off.
I am glad I did not attend Queens, if they have books like that. Do you honestly believe that all Black people talk they way White people are expecting them to communicate? I was taught to enunciate my words and to speak clearly and concisely. But you know, no matter where you live, you can choose your friends and people you wish to emulate. Maybe, "chicken.or.the.nugget" you should up the ante about the places you befriend people.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:59 PM

27,054 posts, read 22,475,325 times
Quote:
I am glad I did not attend Queens, if they have books like that. Do you honestly believe that all Black people talk they way White people are expecting them to communicate? I was taught to enunciate my words and to speak clearly and concisely. But you know, no matter where you live, you can choose your friends and people you wish to emulate. Maybe, "chicken.or.the.nugget" you should up the ante about the places you befriend people.
I know what you mean. Some people might describe me as "talking white". It can get old.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Or you could also say "he tired".
It's more about pronunciation though. Many Blacks speak with a flawless standard English grammar, yet they still have this accent.

Edit: I'd like to make clear that I try not to judge people based on their accent. I know and have met enough well educated people who don't have a standard mainstream general american accent or whatever you call it.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:17 PM

Default No need to dignify this thread with a reply anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Or you could also say "he tired".
You know growing up in Canada and then living in the South (Alabama, Georgia, Texas) for quite a while has equipped me recognize racial sarcasm. My humble recommendation for people of visible minority on this forum, is to let this thread die with the Neutre's and the Chicken.or.the.Nugget's of this forum. Ignoring the ignorant always works

Old 06-02-2009, 03:24 PM

365 posts, read 740,290 times
Quote:
Wow. Really.
But you did mention Queen's University, so I'm not too suprised.

Quote:
You know growing up in Canada and then living in the South (Alabama, Georgia, Texas) for quite a while has equipped me recognize racial sarcasm. My humble recommendation for people of visible minority on this forum, is to let this thread die with the Neutre's and the Chicken.or.the.Nugget's of this forum.
If you let these types of threads die, City Data forum would cease to exist! Honestly, like 80% of the threads are comprised of stuff like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada