U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 07:28 AM

8 posts, read 33,855 times

Advertisements

Background : Im 21 and I want to relocate for school, which city would be the easiest to transition to. TORONTO, OTTAWA, VANCOUVER, CALGARY.

I am 21, somewhat shy, but love the outdoors. I would be moving by myself, therefore not no anyone. What are the pros and cons to each of these cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 08:02 AM

409 posts, read 1,349,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnwinn View Post
Background : Im 21 and I want to relocate for school, which city would be the easiest to transition to. TORONTO, OTTAWA, VANCOUVER, CALGARY.

I am 21, somewhat shy, but love the outdoors. I would be moving by myself, therefore not no anyone. What are the pros and cons to each of these cities.
Different schools are known for different things. Macleans Magazine has an annual roundup of post secondary (University) education in Canada. Ottawa has Carlton and the University of Ottawa (which is either entirely or significantly French speaking). I know a lot of people who went to Carlton for one year and it has a reputation as a good 'party' school. Perhaps that is a good destination if you are still a virgin.

Seriously though. Calgary has, what, the University of Alberta? UofA is a massive school but at least some (most?) of it is based in Edmonton. I'd live in Calgary a heck of a lot sooner than I'd like in Edmonton (sorry, Edmontonians but it, like Ottawa, is a government town). Depending on your program, not everything may be available in Calgary.

Vancouver has UBC and SFU and probably a few others to boot. Like Toronto (UofT, York, Ryerson) there should be some decent choices.

In terms of outdoor living, Vancouver should have everything beat. The worst you'd have to deal with is clouds and light rain. You can drive a short distance to the mountains for skiing. There should be lots of hiking and other outdoor options.

Toronto has a lot of parks so there are hiking/biking options available here without leaving the city. One city motto is 'A City Within a Park'. The climate isn't as mild as Vancouver but it is generally better than Calgary and Ottawa (although Calgary gets some nice chinooks every once and a while).

Old 06-03-2009, 08:21 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Derf View Post
Ottawa has Carlton and the University of Ottawa (which is either entirely or significantly French speaking). .
The University of Ottawa is officially bilingual, but about two thirds of its students are now actually English-speaking. It has also substantially relaxed its bilingualism requirements for obtaining a diploma in recent years. Used to be you had to take a test in your "other language" at the end of your studies in order to get your diploma. Not so anymore I think.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:23 AM

793 posts, read 1,190,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnwinn View Post

Your first priority should always be your education when relocating to study. So your ideal location will depend on your major and field of study.
I personally graduated from UofT and think it is an excellent school that has opened doors for me wherever I have lived.

As far as transitioning is concerned, you will probably be able to make friends through school, so depending on the student population of the school you are attending you should be able to adjust quickly.

As far as outdoor activities are concerned the two cities that stand out from your list are Vancouver and Calgary. They are both naturally more appealing than Toronto and Ottawa. I also found that people out west are alot more active generally than those in Toronto (being a very active person myself)

If you like the arts, theatre Toronto will offer the best options with its extremely large theatre scene, museums and galleries.

If you are a foodie and love to dine out, then Toronto and Vancouver would be your best bet (Toronto for ethnic food, Vancouver for local, high end and inventive dining)

As you can see depending on your interests there would be a city for you, but as I mentioned education should really come first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or