Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:46 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times

Advertisements

What would you say are some main cultural differences between people in the West Coast of Canada versus East Coast (not Eastern Canada- only the coastal areas)?
I'm not familiar with the East Coast but is the cuisine different? Where are people friendlier? Which place is more relaxed? How about the music people listen to, shows people watch, infrastructure, social issues? We often hear about BC vs. Alberta, or BC vs. Ontario, or the "West" versus the "east" but how about the opposite coasts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 06:03 AM

366 posts, read 1,185,537 times
The coles notes version:

East Coast = Maritime Provinces (Nova Scotia/New Brunswick/PEI and Newfoundland). Strong Celtic influence, with significant French and African Canadian communities amongst others. More rural in character. Famous for lobster and cod. Very friendly people. Do not think you can out drink anyone over the age of 16 from these provinces. You will be blind drunk by the time they're just getting buzzed.

West Coast = British Columbia only. The lower mainland is Canada's California. Nice weather (by Canadian standards), and beautiful scenery. People are stereotyped as latte sipping, granola crunching, mountain bike riding, and sushi eating enviro-liberals. Large Chinese and Indian communities amongst others. Salmon is a famous food export along with marijuana (aka B.C. bud). I can vouch for the salmon only!
Northern B.C. or the interior - lumberjacks and assorted rednecks.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:43 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
It may be a bit of a generalization but it’s still not much of a stretch to say the both coasts of Canada are quite similar to the adjoining parts of the U.S. Much of the Canadian Maritimes (especially the non-Acadian areas) is quite similar in feel and culture to Maine, for example. BC is quite similar to the states in the Pacific NW.

This is not to say that they are completely identical to their U.S. neighbours, and the border of the two countries does make a difference for certain things.

But with respect to culture as defined by TV shows, movies, books, magazines, etc., in both regions what people "consume" is pretty much the same as what you see elsewhere in North American. Regional particularities in these cultural areas are somewhat rare.

One big exception to this North American "sameness" however would be music, where there is a distinctive Canadian "East Coast" music scene (heavily laden with the Celtic influences that west end don alluded to). Maritimers have been really successful at creating a thriving regional music scene. The "East Coast" music scene’s annual awards gala is typically held in packed 5,000-seat hockey arenas, and is televised nationally across Canada. The music scene down there is quite the Maritime success story.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:16 AM

2 posts, read 42,361 times
I agree that the American coastal stereotypes ring true in Canada as well. I am a Maritimer who has been living in Vancouver for over a year now. In general I've noticed that: West coasters are more into health/fitness and appearance; do not tend to have personalities or interesting things to talk about; more environmentally proactive; and lack class (i.e., openly talk about their money) East coasters are more depressed and worrisome; have more culture (music and history); are more likely to "say it like it is"; and are warmer and more genuine.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:26 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealady7 View Post
I agree that the American coastal stereotypes ring true in Canada as well. I am a Maritimer who has been living in Vancouver for over a year now. In general I've noticed that: West coasters are more into health/fitness and appearance; do not tend to have personalities or interesting things to talk about; more environmentally proactive; and lack class (i.e., openly talk about their money) East coasters are more depressed and worrisome; have more culture (music and history); are more likely to "say it like it is"; and are warmer and more genuine.
thinking about moving back? sounds like you're missing east coast.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:06 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Default Newfoundland is not a Maritime province . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
The coles notes version:

East Coast = Maritime Provinces (Nova Scotia/New Brunswick/PEI and Newfoundland). Strong Celtic influence, with significant French and African Canadian communities amongst others. More rural in character. Famous for lobster and cod. Very friendly people. Do not think you can out drink anyone over the age of 16 from these provinces. You will be blind drunk by the time they're just getting buzzed.

The above four provinces are the Atlantic Provinces - but the Maritimes consist of only NS, NB and PEI.

The part about not being able to outdrink a 16 year old from any of these provinces is, alas, probably true.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 41,432 times
East coast - Easier to talk to people, more social, more collective, more humble, lower self esteem, talkers

West coast - People are more closed, more individual, superiority complex, much more conservative than the steriotypes, hearers (maybe not listeners) slower pace

I live in Colombia now - I thought Canada was diverse - the difference between cultures within Colombia is greater. Here in Bogota the culture is much more similar to Toronto than it is to Santa Marta (Caribbean coast of Colombia)

Colombia has way more personal freedom than Canada. Now when I think of Canada, I think of a place where you have to live by an awefull lot of rules.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:11 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
The coles notes version:

West Coast = British Columbia only. The lower mainland is Canada's California. Nice weather (by Canadian standards), and beautiful scenery. People are stereotyped as latte sipping, granola crunching, mountain bike riding, and sushi eating enviro-liberals. Large Chinese and Indian communities amongst others. Salmon is a famous food export along with marijuana (aka B.C. bud). I can vouch for the salmon only!
Northern B.C. or the interior - lumberjacks and assorted rednecks.
as a guy from the west coast that is so true
we are kinda arogant over here on the west side LOL
GO canucks GO!

Old 10-27-2009, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 36,466 times
Don't stop, keep it coming!

I'm a Canadian, who at 20 and a clutch of years has never even set foot in Canada. My Canadian father went over from England 30 years ago and naturalised, went somewhere else and produced me. He always speaks glowingly about Canada (especially BC) and has managed to instil an almost cringeworthy enthusiasm for the place in me. The trouble is, its been awfully hard to find good, nitty-gritty qualitative info and observations about Canada. There just isn't an awful lot written about it. That is, until I found this site. You lot must be doing something right for my dad to have brainwashed me like this. I hope to make it over there soon.

This could be a rather fascinating thread.

HP

Old 04-22-2011, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 33,866 times
East Coast: Slower paced, slow economy, nice people, in touch with nature, and very lonely and cold in the winter. lots of farming and only 1 sizeable city (halifax)
West coast: Boom or bust economy, fast paced in Vancouver, quiet and boring everywhere else, lots of skiing and festivals in the winter. The interior of BC is full of small logging towns and the island is full of retired people and poor first nations reserves.
Basically the West is just like Washington state, and the East is just like Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada