U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2009, 01:25 AM

3 posts, read 22,879 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!

I'm a 30 years old guy from north-eastern Italy, who is looking to move for a temporary job in Canada.
Last year i get a degree in pedagogy (children, disability, drug addict rehabilitation) and i want to live a new experience as far as possible from my old-decadent country...
I'm looking for a job concerning my studies, but i don't despise any kind of heavy or modest employment. I've got a good knowledge of english (i hope so...) and i'm able to survive using just french. I love culture and art (working on a library or a bookstore would be a dream).
What i ask you is: which city do you suggest for my taste? I don't care about cold winter (i love snow and ice): i'm just looking for a nice and livable city, with a human cost of living.

Thanks for all of your suggestions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 10:30 AM

409 posts, read 1,349,074 times
A quick tip would be that most people of Italian decent in Toronto (Woodbridge and/or Corso Italia) would be from the Napoli region rather than the north-east. There are about 200,000 people who speak Italian as their mother tongue in Toronto (making it the 2nd most commonly spoken language after English). There isn't too much French spoken in Toronto.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:47 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Derf View Post
A quick tip would be that most people of Italian decent in Toronto (Woodbridge and/or Corso Italia) would be from the Napoli region rather than the north-east. There are about 200,000 people who speak Italian as their mother tongue in Toronto (making it the 2nd most commonly spoken language after English). There isn't too much French spoken in Toronto.
Good assessment of Italian Toronto, but judging from his comments about wanting to his escape his "old-decadent" country, he may or not necessarily want to go to a place where there are lots of Italians.

While it is true that many people who immigrate tend to seek out people from the "old country" immediately upon arrival, others tend to avoid the Little Italies, Greektowns, Chinatowns, Little Indias, etc. like the plague and want nothing more than to integrate into the new country as quickly as possible.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
judging from his comments about wanting to his escape his "old-decadent" country, he may or not necessarily want to go to a place where there are lots of Italians.
You're right man!
And, first of all, i want to escape from southern italians...

No Little Italy at all! I'm escaping from real Italy, and i don't want to find a similar one...

Old 06-30-2009, 11:25 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon-ve View Post
You're right man!
And, first of all, i want to escape from southern italians...

No Little Italy at all! I'm escaping from real Italy, and i don't want to find a similar one...
I don’t have anything against Italy, Italians or Italian-Canadians, but I wanted to make sure your question was answered in the way you wanted it to be.

There are good sized Italian origin communities in all of the major cities in Ontario (Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton, Windsor, etc.) and in Montréal in the province of Québec as well.

However, they are more of a "presence" than a dominant group in these cities, as the cities’ overall populations are very diverse with people of many different origins. The exceptions would be in particular districts where Italians are concentrated (Woodbridge near Toronto as Fred Derf said, and also St-Léonard in the eastern part of Montréal).

There are Italians in all of the other parts of Canada as well, though the numbers are fewer than in Ontario or Montréal.

And most Italian-Canadians do have their origins in southern Italy: Sicilia and Calabria mostly.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don’t have anything against Italy, Italians or Italian-Canadians, but I wanted to make sure your question was answered in the way you wanted it to be.
Thanks for your involvement.
The first reason of my choice of leaving Italy is leaving italians. Italy is a wonderful country (history, beauty, sun, food and many more things) but it has a big problem: it's full of italian people! And, the most important, it's governed by italian politician.
So, my country could be a great place for a holiday, surely not to live in.
I'm trying to move as far as possible from everything which could remember italian people... So, i'm looking for your advices about a good place to stay in Canada (i'd prefer a middle size or a big city, not a little town).

Old 07-01-2009, 05:59 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,457,052 times
My vote is for Montreal. Lots of bookstores and cafes. Cost of living not too high. Lots of culture.
Then perhaps Toronto. Both would also be easy cities to get around without a car. Vancouver is wonderful but horribly expensiveer - but the winter is not harsh. In the Maritimes the cities do not have that large of a population and I'm not sure how hard it would be to find work in those cities. Calgary, Regina or Manitoba I can't comment on.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,785 times
Default just some information!

Good day simon-ve

I just want to ask what kind of documentation did you do to apply for working visa Or you are totally want to immigrate in Canada permanently? it seem so hard all the documentation that we need to migrate in Canada since we are planning to go there as family. We are on vacation now outside Italy so we still didn't gather proper information on what we need to do. Thanks!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon-ve View Post
Hi everybody!

I'm a 30 years old guy from north-eastern Italy, who is looking to move for a temporary job in Canada.
Last year i get a degree in pedagogy (children, disability, drug addict rehabilitation) and i want to live a new experience as far as possible from my old-decadent country...
I'm looking for a job concerning my studies, but i don't despise any kind of heavy or modest employment. I've got a good knowledge of english (i hope so...) and i'm able to survive using just french. I love culture and art (working on a library or a bookstore would be a dream).
What i ask you is: which city do you suggest for my taste? I don't care about cold winter (i love snow and ice): i'm just looking for a nice and livable city, with a human cost of living.

Thanks for all of your suggestions...

Old 06-14-2012, 10:14 AM

903 posts, read 2,240,248 times
Hello Lezea24,

Simon-ve posted this 3 years ago so may not be checking for replies anymore. You can click on the name in one of his posts and click SEND A DIRECT MESSAGE. that might get you some response if they still monitor the email account used to create the account on this site.

Otherwise you should join the conversation in this thread http://www.city-data.com/forum/canad...ments-etc.html . There is some good information and you'll be able to get some help with any questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or