U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 11:38 AM

4 posts, read 44,104 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've been doing research for sometime and cannot find an answer anywhere, so I was hoping if you guys could help?
I'm currently in England and completing my degree to become a Barrister, which is just great, however, my fiance is Canadian and we would like to live in Canada. But will I be able to practice law in Canada without taking more exams and spending longer in school? Is their a different Bar I have to pass?
Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 12:45 PM

409 posts, read 1,349,074 times
If you are moving to Toronto (or somewhere in Ontario) then you'd have to ask these guys:
OBA.org – The Ontario Bar Association

You'll find that Quebec law is quite different from England but most other provinces will be based on the U.K. traditions. You'll still have to apply to a Canadian Bar Association. There is a significant annual fee and you'll probably have to jump through some hoops.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:33 PM

thankyou so much thats perfect

Old 08-08-2009, 02:46 PM

261 posts, read 598,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney17 View Post
Hi,
I've been doing research for sometime and cannot find an answer anywhere, so I was hoping if you guys could help?
I'm currently in England and completing my degree to become a Barrister, which is just great, however, my fiance is Canadian and we would like to live in Canada. But will I be able to practice law in Canada without taking more exams and spending longer in school? Is their a different Bar I have to pass?
Thanks for any help.
Ya you will have to do law school over again because your english traing was different than canadian training you willalso have to rewrite the bar and spend a year articling

Old 08-08-2009, 03:01 PM

hum :| do you know how long this will take, or cost for that matter?
But thankyou for your help.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:20 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,457,052 times
have you considered emailing law schools in Canada for advice on training.. they should be able to give you (free) advise as well as I am pretty sure you will not be the first UK trained barrister making an enquiry!

Old 08-09-2009, 01:30 AM

261 posts, read 598,321 times
Quote:
hum :| do you know how long this will take, or cost for that matter?
But thankyou for your help.
Yes, if you are very very very lucky they might actually recognize your grad degree (degree after undergrad that is law related if you have one-provided you come from a very good school like oxford that everyone knows). Canadian law and doctors are 2 groups where the law society and doctors association have fought tooth and nail to keep foreigners out . Also with the influx of so many immigrants many who do have real degrees, the docs and lawyers fear that their wages will fall if they do recognize all these degrees. Heck it wasn't until 10 years ago that a non-citizen/resident could legally practice law.
If you have to go back to root 1, then you could end up doing 3 years plus 1(internship) before you become actually lawyer. Worse case scenario they don't recognize your undergrad degree (Highly unlikely) then your doing 7 years. But I think your looking at 4 years, but it will be more like 5 1/2 for you. First you will have to be admitted to law school which will take minimum 1/2 year to 1 year. You don't want to go to a bad law school because in canada that =low paying jjob, degree not worth the paper it written and no one will hire you. I have a cousin who is 56, don't ask why whose remarried husband can't get a job because he went to the wrong law school. Law schools admit 1-2 a year depending on the school, so you will also have to write the LSAT which will take at least 6 months to prepare for to get into a good school. so you will have to wait basically 1 year before you get into law school. After 4 years of school you will have to wait some time before your called to the bar and it won't be until 1/2 year until you are actually getting a check in your hand.

A better option might just be for your wife to move to england, or both move to america, Canada just doesn't recognize foriegn degrees.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-09-2009 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: Commentary on moderation not permitted

Old 08-09-2009, 01:25 PM

5,689 posts, read 6,532,688 times
Quote:
Hi,
Thanks for any help.
No, you would not be able to practise law automatically. Canadian law is different than British law, and each province has their own peculiarities. Your accreditation might be accepted on principle but you would have to take classes in things like Canadian constitutional law. You would also have to pass the bar exam in the province in which you would be practising.

Your basic LLB degree takes three years in Canada but it seems unlikely that you would be required to go through the entire course but rather simply have to take a few additional courses. (My sister is a lawyer).

Here is a link that should answer your questions. FLSC - Guidelines for the assessment of legal credentials for accreditation

Old 08-09-2009, 05:37 PM

thankyou for the help

Old 06-03-2012, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 7,642 times
i started doing my British LLB degree in srilanka so could i be able to continue (from 2nd year) in canada?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or