U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 11:50 AM

4,835 posts, read 4,825,778 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to Banff for a week next month but we also want to explore other parts of Alberta as well as BC.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 12:35 PM

8,602 posts, read 11,093,754 times
Icefields parkway to Jasper.

Lake Louise/Moraine Lake

Radium Hot Springs, Field and Golden BC. Travelling to Field you cross the great divide.

The best suggestion I have is to go to the Parks Canada office in Canada Place in Banff. It's just across the bridge to the Banff Springs on the south end of Banff Ave (the main drag). They have tons of info, and maps of places to see.

As far as Calgary or Edmonton, well if you've been to Denver, you've been to either of them.

Are you driving up, or flying in and renting a car?

Old 08-18-2009, 12:42 PM

4,835 posts, read 4,825,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post

Lake Louise/Moraine Lake

Radium Hot Springs, Field and Golden BC. Travelling to Field you cross the great divide.

The best suggestion I have is to go to the Parks Canada office in Canada Place in Banff. It's just across the bridge to the Banff Springs on the south end of Banff Ave (the main drag). They have tons of info, and maps of places to see.

As far as Calgary or Edmonton, well if you've been to Denver, you've been to either of them.

We are driving actually!

Old 08-18-2009, 03:56 PM

From CO Springs?

If so, take the 70 across and take US 89 up to the border, hit Glacier National Park/Waterton National park between AB/MT and then come up through Pincher Creek and AB 22 into Calgary.

Great scenery and roads through there.

Don't forget, when you get to Banff you need to stop and get a park pass for the car. There's gates immediately after Canmore.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:56 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,940,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post

Lake Louise/Moraine Lake

I agree. The Icefields Parkway has to be one of the great scenic drives of the world. Stupendous scenery, mile after mile, about 140 miles, with only about 3 or 4 locations along the way that are 'businesses'. It's a 'destination' in its own right, and getting as close as Banff, it would be a "crime" not to continue on up the Parkway. You'll need to pass through a guard gate just outside Lake Louise to enter the Parkway (Don't recall whether there's a fee or not, separate from the National Park fee).

Banff is quite a "busy", cosmopolitan place, with a huge number of international visitors...while Jasper has a quieter charm. I've stayed in Jasper a few times, and love the place....Never stayed in Banff, but passed through on several occasions. Canmore is also a nice little mountain city, just outside the Park boundary SE of Banff.

"Kananaskis Country" is also a beautiful 'alternate route', running south and east from Banff....a good worthwhile "extra helping" of mountain scenery for anyone en-route from the Banff area down toward (or up from) the Montana border, an alternative to the more monotonous Plains country south of Calgary. The 'Kananaskis' route is only a few miles longer than the "normal" route...and much more spectacular.

Bring your camera..AND binoculars.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:23 PM

5,823 posts, read 10,163,236 times
Banff is quite a "busy", cosmopolitan place, with a huge number of international visitors

can you tell me if there are French people among the visitors? someone told me that there are swarms of them right now in Peru and Bolivia, and I'd like to avoid my fellow citizens (otherwise what's the use of travelling?)

Old 08-22-2009, 04:56 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,940,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Banff is quite a "busy", cosmopolitan place, with a huge number of international visitors

can you tell me if there are French people among the visitors? someone told me that there are swarms of them right now in Peru and Bolivia, and I'd like to avoid my fellow citizens (otherwise what's the use of travelling?)
Not familiar with the specific demographics...but I'm sure there are PLENTY of French visitors to Banff...along with many other Europeans in general, lots of Japanese, Taiwanese, etc etc....and others as well.

If you're worried about the French tourists somehow 'dominating' the place, in my experience, that won't happen. If, on the other hand, you're determined to avoid them entirely , I suppose that's impossible.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post

Some, but if you want to be like most of the tourists in Banff, polish up your Japanese, and if you want to be like the employees, perfect your Aussie accent.

Oh, and no additional park pass required to do the Icefields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada