Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2011, 08:07 PM

21 posts, read 125,056 times

Advertisements

We hope to be relocating to Vancouver at some point next year. I am aware of needing a certificate from a vet stating that the animal is in good health and that the rabies vaccine is up to date, but my question is this: does anyone have experience in moving a pet across the border from the US?

Would it be easier to fly or drive the pet over the border? We have a friend who is willing to fly our pet across the border to us when we get there, but if it's easier to drive a pet across the border, we may just bite the bullet and invest in a good travel crate and pet-friendly hotels along the way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 01:26 AM

14,699 posts, read 14,843,088 times
A friend of mine from the States frequently travelled back and forth across the border in his vehicle with his dog. He needed to have the paperwork from the vet to show that the dog is healthy and up to date on all his shots and that the dog's license and rabies shots tags are visible on his collar. Most of the time the officers at the border (on both sides of the border) asked if he had the vet's paperwork with him but they rarely asked to see the paperwork. Other times they haven't even paid any attention to the dog. So I am thinking it might be easier to drive a pet across the border than to fly it across. Maybe there might be more red tape involved if a non-owner were to fly it across without you present (even with paperwork and letters of permission from you).

If it was me I would drive my pet across with me at the time I moved. I'd be a bit leery of leaving it behind for somebody else to take responsibility for transporting it by plane.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:22 PM

21 posts, read 125,056 times
thanks, that's all good to know. while i really do trust this person, it might be a while before we could fly her over: i think airlines have restrictions on cargo flying pets in the winter. we of course plan to have all the paperwork in order, but if it's that much easier driving a pet across, i think that's what we'll do.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:54 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,260,897 times
When I moved from westen Canada to eastern Canada we drove through the USA and crossed with our cats. We weren't even asked for paperwork at either border. Flying is a whole other ballgame. My cat was a basket case when it arrived in the UK from Canada - I know that was a long haul, but even so, a pet in the cargo hold (albeit heated pressurised hold) with all that noise and no human around? IMHO driving is definitely way less stressful on your pet.

If there was no other choice and it is little and you could fly with it under your seat it wouldn't be quite that bad, but it would have to be a mite!

Old 10-25-2011, 12:15 PM

7,259 posts, read 9,252,833 times
I've never flown with my dogs but we've crossed the border numerous times by land without any problems. Sometimes we've been asked for the vaccination papers and sometimes not.

I do agree though, that driving with an animal just has to be less stressful for the animal (and their human) than flying in a cargo hold. If you have any choice at all, I'd make it a drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada