Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:31 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,058,632 times

Advertisements

No one mentioned David Thompson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 07:25 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
No one mentioned David Thompson.
The explorer or Lord Thomson of Fleet? The way you spelled it suggests the explorer.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:30 AM

One Canadian who is very famous with a significant proportion of humanity would be Dashan...

Another issue I have with this thread is that there is no consideration at all given to fame *within* Canada. Can someone be considered famous if his/her renown is largely limited to Canada’s borders?

Are Beau Dommage losers just because they are almost exclusively known in Quebec? Are the members of Cold Chisel nobodies just because their fame is limited to Australia?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:28 AM

237 posts, read 870,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think you are greatly overestimating how pervasive American popular culture is around the world. Yes, I would agree that it is the most pervasive culture around the world, and one has to be a fool to suggest otherwise.

But that does not mean it is as pervasive everywhere as it is in English-speaking Canada, for example. To be famous in the United States is not to be automatically famous around the world.
bollywood caters mainly to east Asians. The countries that make their movies popular are not ethnically diverse. Arabic, middle eastern movie scene strictly targets a couple ethnic groups. As long as English is the language of choice in the world (In Europe, Africa, India, China, South America most people end up learning it even if it is as a second language) hollywood productions will have a much wider audience. outside of a couple countries hindi, mandarin chinese is not widely spoken.

[quote]
You chose Google hits as an indicator of people's fame. But millions of soccer fans (including many in Europe) do not have access to the Internet, which is much more widespread in the U.S. It's even truer of the markets for Bollywood movies. [\quote]

same can be said for millions of baseball fans in south america and the caribbean.

Quote:
Plus, Michael Jordan played basketball, the most "globally popular" of the American sports. But most people around the world have no idea who Peyton Manning or Mark McGwire are, and just because they are famous in the U.S. hasn't magically changed that fact.
you'd be surprised how many people have heard of Alex Rodriguez and Albert Pujols.

Quote:
Sure, your average Indian or Egyptian would know Brad Pitt and some other American celebrities. But their knowledge of "famous" American people doesn't extend as much as you might think. Heck, I live in Quebec right across from Ottawa and I betcha more than half the people on my street have absolutely no idea who David Letterman is.
I don't think late night tv is as popular in the US as it used to be.

Quote:
There are all sorts of cultural alternatives to Hollywood like this that exist around the world. Another good example are the Egyptian TV and movies that are the mainstream in most of the Arabic-speaking world.
another thing i think you're forgetting is the relatively larger budget hollywood films have. Their appeal to a much wider audience (one that transcends cultural, ethnic differences (since almost everyone in the world speaks some English and is aware of American culture), larger budgets attracts actors from everywhere. people don't leave hollywood for another place. it's the same reason the nba attracts more people from euroleague than vice versa.

Quote:
Even in English-speaking countries like the UK, Australia and New Zealand, classic American stuff like Saturday Night Live for example is surprisingly little known. I hardly think that Regis Philbin and Jeff Foxworthy are household names in New Zealand, let alone Brazil and Malawi.
what about the simpsons, friends, seinfeld, touched by an angel ?

Last edited by grmike; 09-23-2009 at 08:36 AM..

Old 09-23-2009, 08:42 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,280,740 times
There is a difference between fame and greatness. In our current time, that distinction is getting blurred. There are great people that have no fame, and more often the total opposite.

There is no doubt that the Octomom is famous, but really, what is enviable about her?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:57 AM

[quote=grmike;10880957]bollywood caters mainly to east Asians. The countries that make their movies popular are not ethnically diverse. Arabic, middle eastern movie scene strictly targets a couple ethnic groups. As long as English is the language of choice in the world (In Europe, Africa, India, China, South America most people end up learning it even if it is as a second language) hollywood productions will have a much wider audience. outside of a couple countries hindi, mandarin chinese is not widely spoken.

Quote:
You chose Google hits as an indicator of people's fame. But millions of soccer fans (including many in Europe) do not have access to the Internet, which is much more widespread in the U.S. It's even truer of the markets for Bollywood movies. [\quote]

same can be said for millions of baseball fans in south america and the caribbean.

you'd be surprised how many people have heard of Alex Rodriguez and Albert Pujols.

I don't think late night tv is as popular in the US as it used to be.

another thing i think you're forgetting is the relatively larger budget hollywood films have. Their appeal to a much wider audience (one that transcends cultural, ethnic differences (since almost everyone in the world speaks some English and is aware of American culture), larger budgets attracts actors from everywhere. people don't leave hollywood for another place. it's the same reason the nba attracts more people from euroleague than vice versa.

what about the simpsons, friends, seinfeld, touched by an angel ?
I did acknowledge that American Hollywood culture is the most pervasive in the world. But that doesn’t mean that it is as totally pervasive and dominant as you seem to suggest.

Sure, American stuff is very present in the UK, OZ nd NZ, but much of it also bypasses these countries for a variety of reasons (too U.S.-centric themes, presence of homegrown equivalents, etc.)

Seinfeld and other subtle comedies are well-known only in the anglo countries because you require a good mastery of the language in order to get the jokes, and that this type of humour doesn’t translate well. Most people in Germany, France, Italy, Argentina or even Quebec would not know Seinfeld.

American stuff that succeeds in non-anglo countries tends to be action and crime-oriented, or totally farcical (first degree) comedy like Hannah Montana that translates fairly easily. Or music and dance-oriented stuff like High School Musical.

The Simpsons’ humour is quite subtle but it does well in non-anglo countries because as an animated series the soundtrack is generally completely redone to reflect local themes.

Baseball is actually only popular in handful of countries in Latin America, and the baseball-mad countries (Cuba, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico) aren’t those with the biggest populations. Soccer rules in most of Latin America.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:33 AM

700 posts, read 637,692 times
Not certain why it hasn't been mentioned that Alexander Graham Bell was born in Scotland and filed the patent for the telephone in the United States. He made some great inventions, such as the photophone, while in Canada but not the telephone.

My understanding is that the inventors of the lightbulb were two brothers from Toronto but only one name is given.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:20 PM

237 posts, read 870,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trillion View Post
Not certain why it hasn't been mentioned that Alexander Graham Bell was born in Scotland and filed the patent for the telephone in the United States. He made some great inventions, such as the photophone, while in Canada but not the telephone.

My understanding is that the inventors of the lightbulb were two brothers from Toronto but only one name is given.
Bell said the phone was invented in Canada and made in the US. there are many other inventions he's credited with that were thought of, made, and patented in Canada. I think he spent most of his life in Canada including the last 30 years of his life in Cape Breton a place he considered home.
he made a big deal about the demonstration he did in Brantford, Ontario talking to someone a couple kilometers away.

Last edited by grmike; 09-23-2009 at 01:28 PM..

Old 12-05-2009, 03:19 PM

19 posts, read 90,964 times
Joeseph -Armand Bombardier - inventor of the snowmobile is Canadian.

I also find it interesting that many of the founders of the American hollywood film industry (Mary Pickford, founders of MGM, etc) were actually Canadian - Go Canada!

Old 12-12-2009, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,262 times
Your number one was actually Scottish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada