U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:20 AM

226 posts, read 566,403 times

Advertisements

cbc did a documentary on 10 people they considered the most famous but I disagreed with their list.

here's my list

1 Alexander Graham Bell - inventor of the phone.
2 Sir Sanford Flemming - the person responsible for time zones around the world.
3 Jack Warner and his family - they founded warner brothers which today is the biggest entertainment company in the world.
4 Frederick Banting - insulin
5 Louis B Mayer - MGM founder
6 James Naismith - invented basketball
7 Reginald Fessenden - had the patents for sonar, television, performed the first audio radio transmission, worked for Thomas Edison.
8 the Canadian who invented the candu nuclear reactors.
9 Henry Woodward - invented the light bulb
10 Joe Shuster - co creator of superman comic books
11 John Kenneth Galbraith - keynesian economics, revolutionized economic thought, served in the Kennedy, Roosevelt, Truman governments.
12 Lewis Urry - invented the alkaline battery
13 Andrew Bonar Law - only prime minister of Great Britain that was born outide of Great Britain
14 James Cameron - produced, directed, wrote the titanic, terminator 1,2,3, true lies.
15 James Gosling - invented java script
16 Celine Dion - by the end of her career she could be considered the best French, one of the best English singers of the last 100 years. she's sold as many albums as madonna, whitney houston.
17 Mary Pickford
18 Benny Hinn - had a big part in the Christian Evangelical movement.
19 John Candy
20 Terry Fox
21 Michael J. Fox
22 Eli Franklin Burton,James Hillier, Albert Prebus - produced the first electron microscope

some others alex trebec, william shatner, margot kidder, keannu reeves, Matthew Perry, Kiefer Sutherland, jim carrey, dan akroyd, phil hartman, oscar peterson, peter jennings, howie mandel, pamela anderson, Joshua Jackson, Neve Campbell, Haydon Christensen, Eric McCormack, mike myers, jennifer tilley, Leslie Nielson, shania twain, kim cattrall.

Last edited by grmike; 09-09-2009 at 03:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 08:32 AM

9,973 posts, read 10,926,193 times
I would say that if you as a Canadian who is putting together a list of famous people can't remember the name of the guy who invented the Candu reactor, then he probably isn't that famous.

Having travelled around the world, I would say that Pierre Elliot Trudeau is by far the most well-known of our prime ministers internationally, and certainly deserves to be on the list.

Lester B. Pearson, though less in the spotlight than Trudeau, also deserves mention for coming up with the idea for using soldiers for peacekeeping duty.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:55 AM

12,271 posts, read 7,685,443 times
IMO, the most famous Canadians in history are the Canadian Foreign Service staff who risked their own lives to smuggle Americans from the American Embassy in Teheran out of Iran when the hostage crisis began.

O CANADA!

YouTube - National Anthem of Canada (O Canada)

Old 09-09-2009, 09:45 AM

904 posts, read 954,789 times
Brett "the Hitman" Hart!!

Old 09-09-2009, 03:52 PM

i just remembered another one. Elias Disney.

the father of Walt Disney, where Walt Disney got his last name from.
is there a way to edit past posts ? the edit button isn't there anymore.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:38 PM

3,171 posts, read 2,730,765 times
well, I wouldn't put basketball anywhere on a list of famous Canadians, but that may be a matter of how cheaply fame is defined these days. From my point of view, fame is meaningless unless it contributes somehow to the betterment of the country or the world. I just can't see basketball in that way - although I had no idea that a Canadian invented basketball. You sure about that?

So I wondered why Tommy Douglas CBC.ca - The Greatest Canadian - Top Ten Greatest Canadians - Tommy Douglas (http://www.cbc.ca/greatest/top_ten/nominee/douglas-tommy.html - broken link) wasn't on your list.

And I didn't see Lester B. Pearson there either. As the father of the modern United Nations peacekeeping idea, and a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, I would certainly put him before Mary Pickford, Michael J. Fox and several others on your list. Lester B. Pearson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I'd definitely put Margaret Atwood and Naomi Klein Naomi Klein on the list before John Candy etc.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
well, I wouldn't put basketball anywhere on a list of famous Canadians, but that may be a matter of how cheaply fame is defined these days. From my point of view, fame is meaningless unless it contributes somehow to the betterment of the country or the world. I just can't see basketball in that way - although I had no idea that a Canadian invented basketball. You sure about that?

So I wondered why Tommy Douglas CBC.ca - The Greatest Canadian - Top Ten Greatest Canadians - Tommy Douglas (http://www.cbc.ca/greatest/top_ten/nominee/douglas-tommy.html - broken link) wasn't on your list.

And I didn't see Lester B. Pearson there either. As the father of the modern United Nations peacekeeping idea, and a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, I would certainly put him before Mary Pickford, Michael J. Fox and several others on your list. Lester B. Pearson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I'd definitely put Margaret Atwood and Naomi Klein Naomi Klein on the list before John Candy etc.
James Naismith invented basketball. even though he was born in Ontario before confederation, he was raised in the country when Canada was formed and educated at McGill university.

where would you put the Disney name on the list ? walt disney inherited his last name from his father who was born and raised in Canada.

I think John Candy is one of the 10 best actors of the last 40 years so maybe I overrated him a bit. he does get 23.7 million search results on the internet even after being gone for 15 years.
there are lots of other people like martin short, carrie anne moss, neil young, sarah mcglauchlin, bryan adams, and less known people like natalie appleton, keshia chante, amanda marshall, lara fabian, chantal kreviazak, roch voisine, michael bublé, kevin zegers, devon sawa, michael cera, morley safer, ellen page, guy laliberte (cirque de soleil), peter lymburner robertson (robertson screw), John Hopps (cardiac pacemaker), JGA Creighton (invented hockey), Abraham Gesner (invented kerosene).

Last edited by grmike; 09-09-2009 at 09:46 PM..

Old 09-10-2009, 07:25 AM

3,171 posts, read 2,730,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
James Naismith invented basketball. even though he was born in Ontario before confederation, he was raised in the country when Canada was formed and educated at McGill university.

where would you put the Disney name on the list ? walt disney inherited his last name from his father who was born and raised in Canada.

I think John Candy is one of the 10 best actors of the last 40 years so maybe I overrated him a bit. he does get 23.7 million search results on the internet even after being gone for 15 years.
there are lots of other people like martin short, carrie anne moss, neil young, sarah mcglauchlin, bryan adams, and less known people like natalie appleton, keshia chante, amanda marshall, lara fabian, chantal kreviazak, roch voisine, michael bublé, kevin zegers, devon sawa, michael cera, morley safer, ellen page, guy laliberte (cirque de soleil), peter lymburner robertson (robertson screw), John Hopps (cardiac pacemaker), JGA Creighton (invented hockey), Abraham Gesner (invented kerosene).
Interesting about basketball, particularly since it is so much more popular in the States as opposed to here.

I wouldn't put Walt Disney's father anywhere. It's Walt that is famous, not his father.

Again, we would obviously define fame differently. There are many well-known Canadians in music and acting, but I personally would always put people who contribute ideas above any sports player, or sports game and above most actors and musicians.

One exception would be Leonard Cohen as he is both a musician, and a man of ideas as voiced in his poetry and the layers of complexity in his lyrics. He isn't a star of the moment. He is an artist for the generations. I would put Bob Dylan (an American, I know) in the same category - that of being that unique voice that speaks to a generation and whose name will never be forgotten.

I would not put Bryan Adams, Chantal Kreviazuk or John Candy in that category. There's a few artists (in whatever field of the arts) who manage that curious mixture of intellect and say, music, or painting, that will last forever. But not many, in my opinion.

Fame in and of itself is kind of empty without something special to define it. I mean Paris Hilton is famous. But for what? There's nothing there that will ever contribute to a nation's self-knowledge or enter into the psyche of the undefinable thing that makes nationalities unique. (I mean, if she does, oh god.)

But as you said, you disagreed with the CBC list. Everyone has their own ideas I'm sure.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:46 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,205,879 times
Terry fox.. wayne gretzky?

Old 09-17-2009, 04:19 PM

314 posts, read 288,153 times
Robert Service and Jack London would rate a mention wouldn't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada