Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 10:36 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,571,713 times

Advertisements

How are the people?
---Absolutely wonderful. You will never find better in the world..

I tried to find answers about the unemployment rates in NL on the internet but they were answered like 2 years ago. Are people still having difficulties to find a job there? I am a french teacher and my husband is an electronics technician. What do you think? Can I find a job in a school? Can he find a job
---Unemployment is terrible, there are very few jobs. But also not many people with special skills, so if you're well trained, there could be prospects.

What is the weather usually like in NL? Especially in St John's?
---Worst in the world. It could be depressing if the people there didn't have such a sunny dispositionm. It can snow in July. Very windy, never warm, lots of snow, but never extremely cold.

Are there any wild animals I can come across?
---If you drive across the island, it is very likely that you will hit a moose with your car, and the moose will win. Lots of interesting sea birds, but not much else.

Is it a suitable place to raise children?
---Yes, children still know how to go out and play.

Are there any universities and if there are, are they good, how do they rank?
---There is only one, and by Canadian standards, it is probably average.

Is Newfoundland safe? How are the crime rates?
---Very high rates of petty crimes like burglary and vandalism. But your are personally safe, and can walk anywhere at any hour of the day or night.

How much do a family of four need per month to live modestly?
---I can't answer that, but people are very generous and will help you any way they can if you're in need, even complete strangers. They know what it is like to be poor and desperate.

Are there any shopping malls?
---The same as you'd find in any Canadian city of comparable size. Which means a couple of them in St. Johns, a modest one in Corner Brook, but there are no other cities of more than about 15,000, and they wouldn't have any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada