Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 11,573 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Could you please tell me about Newfoundland and Labrador?
I have recently applied for an immigration visa and I have fallen in love with Newfoundland's scenery. But I need to know more to live in NL.

How are the people?

I tried to find answers about the unemployment rates in NL on the internet but they were answered like 2 years ago. Are people still having difficulties to find a job there? I am a french teacher and my husband is an electronics technician. What do you think? Can I find a job in a school? Can he find a job?

What is the weather usually like in NL? Especially in St John's?

Are there any wild animals I can come across?

Is it a suitable place to raise children?

Are there any universities and if there are, are they good, how do they rank?

Is Newfoundland safe? How are the crime rates?

How much do a family of four need per month to live modestly?

Are there any shopping malls?

Thank you very much in advance. I appreciate your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 11:50 AM

21 posts, read 103,105 times
People from Newfoundland are notoriously known to be friendly and welcoming.

Unemployment rate in NL for August was 15.6%, which is higher than most other provinces (Ontario was 9.4% in August). Source (http://www.statcan.gc.ca/subjects-sujets/labour-travail/lfs-epa/t090904a3-eng.htm - broken link)

Here are the average temperatures for St. John's:

You can get further weather details here:
St. John's, Newfoundland - Detailed City Profile - Climate

Yes, from what I've heard, it's not difficult to come across wild animals outside of St. John's, and it seems to be a fine place to raise children. Memorial University is a large/popular university in St. John's.

Crime stats are below average across the board, except for break and entering rates. More details here:
St. John's, Newfoundland - Detailed City Profile - Crime

Really, I would recommend reading the wikipedia entry, as well as the citystats.ca profile on St. John's to learn a bit more:

St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador - Wikipedia
St. John's, Newfoundland - Detailed City Profile

Old 04-20-2010, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 11,932 times
I've lived in St. John's the past 21 years. It is by far the best place in my opinion to raise a family. It is an extremely safe place to live, there's practically no crime, even in the "worst" neighbourhoods it's not scary in the least. The people here are very friendly and welcoming. A big problem is the weather. I'm sat here now looking out the window at +++ rain and fog. Summers are generally short but nice while they last! Winters are milder in comparison to other Canadian winters, however they are very long. There are shopping malls! There's the Avalon Mall, the Village Mall and several other shopping areas (ex: Stavanger Drive) in the St. John's area. Other malls throughout the rest of NFLD too.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,016,805 times
[quote=aliceK;11096665]Hi All,

Friendliest people you'll meet anywhere
Job potential can be found on the many online job sites,like this one= Search Jobs. Find Employment. Look for Work & a Career | Monster.com
Summer weather is nice mid 70's to 80's,spring and fall equally nice but a bit cooler,winter = snow usually the wet heavy stuff as the surounding ocean tends to keep the climate from the -20's and -30s
Great place to raise kids.
no idea how the universities rank but they are there
I'd say St john's is a very safe city to live as crime rates are negligible
How much to live on? thats relative but a lot of people do just fine between $3000-$4000 total income,some of the outlying areas do it for a lot less.

Shopping?you wont be wanting for anything
st johns shopping centre - Google Maps

Old 04-22-2010, 04:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,016,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

How much to live on? thats relative but a lot of people do just fine between $3000-$4000 total income,some of the outlying areas do it for a lot less.
That was meant to say per month.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:43 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,518,415 times
I am an honorary citizen of Fleur de Lis, NLFD and am very proud of that. I would move to NFLD in a heart beat.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:18 PM

11,154 posts, read 29,162,716 times
for animals
Moose Lynx Beaver Black bear Atlantic Puffin Snowshoe Hare Caribou Pine Martin Loon Coyote

Old 07-21-2011, 09:50 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,540,727 times
I'm not sure this isn't to old to reply but I too, have been wanting to travel to St. John's sometime. Can anyone from there give us your views on how living there, working/going to school, bars, entertainment, etc. is? Thanks alot, as I'm trying to interest my g/f to travel to see it soon but as of yet haven't done so.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:45 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,506,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I'm not sure this isn't to old to reply but I too, have been wanting to travel to St. John's sometime. Can anyone from there give us your views on how living there, working/going to school, bars, entertainment, etc. is? Thanks alot, as I'm trying to interest my g/f to travel to see it soon but as of yet haven't done so.
The transit system is pretty bad, so having a car is highly recommended if you live outside of the old downtown core. People are friendly, but property can be pretty expensive, especially taking into account the salaries that most people make. (Expensive property is a relatively new phenomenon and it's directly related to the rise of the offshore oil and gas industry in Newfoundland.)

Sometimes, you have to shop around a bit to save money when looking for groceries. Prices at the Sobey's chain in particular can be eye-poppinginly expensive for certain items. If you find yourself balking at the price of something at Sobey's, then you might be well advised to put the items in your cart or your basket back where you found them and make tracks for Dominion. Also, compared to Arizona, beer, wine, liquor and gasoline cost a lot more, and the sales tax is higher.

There's no way to dance around the following matter, and some locals may object to the way that I characterize it, but the weather is awful. While it's not as bad as the -40℉ that places on the Canadian Prairies see in the depths of winter, it's perfectly abhorrent in its own way. St. John's is the snowiest, the foggiest, the wettest and the windiest of Canada's principal cities. The weather isn't fun. Summer is normally an abbreviated six-to-eight week period when the weather can be tolerable, if not pleasant, but then the rest of the year, it can be very cool and inclement. St. John's may be populated by people with warm hearts, but its weather is cold.

Despite the generally bad weather, people do get out a fair bit. Going to pubs and listening to live music are both very popular activities. There is also an active local art scene if you're into that kind of stuff.

The local university is reasonably well regarded for science, engineering, medicine, allied health disciplines (pharmacy and nursing) and undergraduate commerce. There are other faculties and schools, including arts, music, education and social work. I believe that the School of Music is well-respected, but I don't know much about it. Arts can be hit or miss depending on the discipline and education was historically sought out by people from away as much as those from Newfoundland, if only because it used to be so difficult to get into teacher's college in Ontario. That may or may not be the case nowadays.

Coming from Arizona, Newfoundland would be a huge shock on may levels. I'd try to spend a good two or three weeks in St. John's before making any decision about whether it would be a good fit if I were you. Be forewarned that plane tickets to St. John's don't normally come cheap and accommodations can be pricey once you get there.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:04 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,506,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
... on may levels.
... on many levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada