U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 6,103 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our 30's with one child. We own a home in TX with a 30-yr loan. Our taxes are almost 3,000 a year.
Can we up and move? Not happy with the way things are going in the US and my husband is having a hard time finding work here in the states. I have found plenty of job offers in Canada hence why we are looking at our options.
Can we leave here and let our home go to foreclosure without it hurting us in Canada?
Could we find a home with 3 bedroom/3 bath in a nice area for 120,000 and qualify for a new loan?
I have read about the gas prices being drastically higher in Canada so I am not sure what to do. If anyone has any ideas for me, please let me know.
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 11:20 AM

1,655 posts, read 5,220,359 times
What particular part of Canada are you looking for?

Old 10-12-2009, 12:21 PM

21 posts, read 91,710 times
Best case scenario: You move to Canada, and your credit history starts from scratch (they may not recognize your previous history, which would be good in your case).
Worse case scenario: You move to Canada, and your credit history follows you (including your foreclosure).

In either of these scenarios, you would not be able to apply for a mortgage due to your either non-existent credit history, or because you have a bad credit history. You would need to rent.

Quote:
It is always best to try to work out an arrangement with your subprime lender. They do not want your property; they would prefer that you pay the loan.
Do some research online, as there are a lot of other people who are in the same situation as you. If you insist on defaulting on your loan and running, make sure you take precautions and do your research first. For example, you could probably stop paying your mortgage, and continue to live in your home for a while before being evicted.

In Canada, gas prices might be about 25% higher than you're used to, due to taxes.

Do some reading about some of the major Canadian cities on wikipedia and citystats.ca to get an idea of what part of Canada you're interested in, and go from there.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:05 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,492,076 times
Live where you want to live, the "what-Ifs" never end, life does.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:27 PM

5,691 posts, read 6,535,324 times
Whether or not you can find a job depends on your fields. But as to the price of housing, even in Manitoba, in Winnipeg, which isn't the most popular of destinations it would be difficult to find a nice home for $120,000. The housing market here hasn't dropped much at all, and a house in a nice area, as you describe, and as I understand nice area would be in the $200,000 range. $120,000 would get you only a fixer-upper even in the surrounding bedroom communities.

Popular destinations such as Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary or Vancouver would be even higher. The cities where housing prices would be lower, would also have tighter job markets.

If you aren't fussy about being in a big city, you have more options with regard to housing in your price range but you haven't provided enough details on what lifestyle you would be looking for for me to offer any relevant advice.

As far as letting your home go into foreclosure, Canadian banks have more conservative lending practises than American banks. I think the odds are against them not checking out your credit history.

And you'd have to check out government immigration sites to see if you even qualify for immigration. Check out some of the other threads regarding immigration and you'll find a lot of links.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:22 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,460,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisha Dewey View Post
My husband and I are in our 30's with one child. We own a home in TX with a 30-yr loan. Our taxes are almost 3,000 a year.
Can we up and move? Not happy with the way things are going in the US and my husband is having a hard time finding work here in the states. I have found plenty of job offers in Canada hence why we are looking at our options.
Can we leave here and let our home go to foreclosure without it hurting us in Canada?
Could we find a home with 3 bedroom/3 bath in a nice area for 120,000 and qualify for a new loan?
I have read about the gas prices being drastically higher in Canada so I am not sure what to do. If anyone has any ideas for me, please let me know.
Thank you!!
Have you even checked out the immigration Canada web site to see if you have the points to qualify to migrate? Google the site.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:19 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,536,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
This is a great quote. So brilliant yet so simple.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:41 AM

5,963 posts, read 10,750,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
So true!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:45 AM

5,963 posts, read 10,750,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisha Dewey View Post
Thank you!!

Check out this link:

Immigrating to Canada

We've been through Canada several times on our trips to and from the lower 48. I do know from talking to some Canadians briefly that they basically complain about the taxes, high cost of living, etc. (sounds like anywhere doesn't it?). Their gasoline is very expensive. I do know that they have strict guidelines who can immigrate there. Your best bet would be to secure employment in Canada and go from there. Good luck.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:16 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,492,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
This is a great quote. So brilliant yet so simple.
Not a quote, I made it up-LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or