Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 12:36 AM

5 posts, read 12,088 times

Advertisements

Hello, new to the forum, just looking for some honesty (preferably first hand) information.

Not going to bore you with the needless details but I will be working in the Video Game Industry and have 4 major choices for places to live.

Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto, Edmonton (which requires me to get a job with a specific company but I am putting it on the list anyway).

Basically I have 12 months to look at where to go but the specific questions I have are:

-A city that is Young Professional friendly, yet at the same time is a good choice for young families. I would enjoy being able to see my future children play on the street, walk to school, etc.

-What is the weather REALLY like in the above cities, having only visited each city I have no clue what it is like to live there (except Vancouver).

-Edit: A Quebec specific question, how important is French in day to day life and job hunting (for my girlfriend), I heard that West Montreal basically runs on English but how much of that is exaggeration and how much of that is fact? It is not necessarily make or break and we are perfectly willing to learn French, but obviously if you are simply unable to get along without French it will take too long to learn.

Any other information is appreciated but I already have a very good idea about housing costs, unemployment, economic conditions for certain jobs, so don't kill yourself getting info on those areas.

Thank you In advance.

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 08:56 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Regarding Montreal and French you might want to check out these two threads:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/canad...-montreal.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/canad...-montreal.html

Old 10-16-2009, 10:38 AM

21 posts, read 103,347 times
All of those cities are friendly towards young professional couples and young families, so I don't think you'll have a problem with that.

You can find all of your answers on weather, housing costs, and economic data from either wikipedia or citystats.ca:

Vancouver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Vancouver, British Columbia - Detailed City Profile

Montreal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Montreal, Quebec - Detailed City Profile

Toronto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Toronto, Ontario - Detailed City Profile

Edmonton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Edmonton, Alberta - Detailed City Profile

I think Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal have the best markets for video game development. Edmonton doesn't have any major studios, as far as I know.

Check out this list for video game companies, and look for Canada:
List of video game companies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, beware of EA Games, they are a notoriouly bad company to work for.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:43 PM

3 posts, read 6,449 times
Hi,

We are in Montreal and are English speaking only, my husband is in the games industry (ubisoft).
When we did our research Montreal was top of our list in regards to the games Industry, with Vancouver next. We have met many english speaking people here, who like us do not speak french, your girlfriend could find it hard to find a job but if she is willing to learn basic french then it shouldnt be a problem.

gamedevmap

We are a young couple with 2 small children 2yr & 7yr, quebec has heavily subsidized daycares and childcare $7 per day which could influence your decesion to bring up children. Schooling is English, french immersion or French depending on where you were educated !
Montreal is a very multicultral city with lots of festivals, resturants and places to see. Very family friendly lots of open parks and activities.
Downtown to the west Island are mainly English speaking. Westmount, NDG, Dorval, Pointe claire, DDO, Beaconsfield, Kirkland.
Weather can be very humid and warm in the summer from May-sep with winter being very cold -40 with the wind chill, it is a very seasonal proviance you know what the weather will be...

We will be here for another 3 years then will hopefully move onto Toronto, we would stay but there is the stupid 101 rule with schooling.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:46 PM

3 posts, read 6,449 times
www.gamedevmap.com

EA is not that bad, they pay a lot more but expect their moneys worth!!!

Old 10-16-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loppylou01 View Post
Hi,

We are in Montreal and are English speaking only, my husband is in the games industry (ubisoft).
When we did our research Montreal was top of our list in regards to the games Industry, with Vancouver next. We have met many english speaking people here, who like us do not speak french, your girlfriend could find it hard to find a job but if she is willing to learn basic french then it shouldnt be a problem.

gamedevmap

We are a young couple with 2 small children 2yr & 7yr, quebec has heavily subsidized daycares and childcare $7 per day which could influence your decesion to bring up children. Schooling is English, french immersion or French depending on where you were educated !
Montreal is a very multicultral city with lots of festivals, resturants and places to see. Very family friendly lots of open parks and activities.
Downtown to the west Island are mainly English speaking. Westmount, NDG, Dorval, Pointe claire, DDO, Beaconsfield, Kirkland.
Weather can be very humid and warm in the summer from May-sep with winter being very cold -40 with the wind chill, it is a very seasonal proviance you know what the weather will be...

We will be here for another 3 years then will hopefully move onto Toronto, we would stay but there is the stupid 101 rule with schooling.
We can agree or disagree with the rules on schooling in which language, but it is nonetheless an important point to be made.

Not sure if the OP has kids or is planning on having some, but if he/she is not Canadian (it's a bit more complex but this is the easiest way to summarize it), then his/her children will have to go to school in French if they go to public school anywhere in Quebec. The other option would be to send them to private school in English - on which there are no restrictions but you have to pay of course.

Access to English-language public schools in Quebec is limited to kids whose parents themselves went to school in English in Canada. The "all kids from other countries go to school in French" rule applies to kids from any country, from China to Australia to Brazil to the United States of America.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:28 PM

First off thank you to everyone for the replies, weather is not a big concern, I lived a lot of winters on the prairies. I am from BC so yes I will (in theory) would be able to send my children to English-Specific schools.

And both my girlfriend and I both have sub-basic French, and we will be spending the next 12 months learning French, hopefully we will be able to acquire a very-basic conversational skill in the language, never really know till you go there.

All job openings being equal I think that Montreal is the front runner so far, housing prices, culture, etc. The day care issue is one that had slipped my mind but is good to know! The only issue was the being primarily English speaking, not so much for me but for my family. I was worrying that because of the decreasing use of English as a primary language (according to stat-can). I having my children learn in English was a requirement of mine (not because I hate French, English is just far more valuable for them).

Old 10-16-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundymaphone View Post

All job openings being equal I think that Montreal is the front runner so far, housing prices, culture, etc. The day care issue is one that had slipped my mind but is good to know! The only issue was the being primarily English speaking, not so much for me but for my family. I was worrying that because of the decreasing use of English as a primary language (according to stat-can). I having my children learn in English was a requirement of mine (not because I hate French, English is just far more valuable for them).
Actually, I think the most recent numbers show English might actually be on the upswing as a "primary language".

As for your kids not speaking English, if you are an anglo yourself there is next to zero chance that they won't end up learning it no matter where you live.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Actually, I think the most recent numbers show English might actually be on the upswing as a "primary language".

As for your kids not speaking English, if you are an anglo yourself there is next to zero chance that they won't end up learning it no matter where you live.
Ya I just saw that the number of English Speakers rose 5.5% from 2001-2005. And I would like my Children to learn French non the less as it is a useful skill.

Edmonton is a choice as well, and although I dislike the city Bioware has office's there (and in Montreal). But yes thank you everyone I will hopefully be living in West Montreal (Island) in 12 months!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada