U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-17-2011, 11:00 PM

9,096 posts, read 12,472,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I've heard many arguments against the right to bear arms and this response is poorly written. What if you are 60 years old and 2 guys break into your house with baseball bats or knives etc? It's purpose isn't to allow people to kill others, it's for protection against criminals who threaten your life or from the government if they ever become crazy and dangerous to the public.
I thought the right to bear arms came about as they wanted people to be armed to fight the British? Times change.

I think that scenario of a 60 year old fighting 2 men breaking into his house with knives and baseball bats is as rare as a 45 year old virgin male having his house broken into by 2 hairy drag queens who tie him up and force him to watch Priscilla, Queen of the Desert on betamax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 11:14 PM

8,990 posts, read 4,816,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Is this just more liberal non-sense? Barring Fox news from Canada does not make it more enlightened. In fact, it makes Canadian society more sanitized because another side of the political discussion is refusing to be let heard. That's called censorship. Canada enlightened my ass, they might as well start burning conservative books
Fox news is not barred from Canada at all. The truth of the matter is that here in Canada you can not lie about public affairs over the airwaves. If you do you will be forced to retract publicly what you said and be fined. If you persist your licence to broadcast will be forfeit and you will be done in the media business. That rules fox out right there because they would not be interested in reporting actual the truth. I have watched lots of Fox and I don't think I have ever heard one single little bit of truth on that network. Zero, nada, none!! Everything is slanted, distorted, misrepresented and false.

I just think it's great that the sepcial interests can't broadcast their POISON, their HATE for their own country and whip up the lunatic fringe the way they have in the USA. Fox is nothing new in the USA. Over a hundred years ago William Randolph Hearst took credit for starting the Spanish American war and he was probably at least half right. That war was the beginning of American imperialism and it's been going on ever since much to the detriment of the country and the people of the USA. We don't need or want a bunch of half witted idiots dictating public policy in this country.

It's a totally different country altogether. Can you imagine a Canadian politician claiming some journalist was unfair, asking a gotch question? LOL. Our government and I mean every single member of it get grilled mercilessly every day in the house of commons. They had better have their thinking caps on or they will be laughed out of office. Not only do they have to answer the questions put to them by the opposition who's main job it is to discredit and embarass the government whenever possible. They are not allowed to lie by the rules of parliament, will be in a heap of trouble if they do and can be forced to produce any documents relating to the question and the answer. It's not unusual at all for a member of the house to be thrown out of the house until such time he comes clean and asks the house's forgiveness for breaking the rules.

That produces a real debate. You Americans do not have any real political debates because your politicians are not answerable to anyone. Because of that fact you have many stuffed shirts elected who don't have a clue about anything at all.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:19 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,890,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Because it's perceived as too right-wing for most Canadians. Most Canadians are centrists or center-left, ..... I doubt you'd ever have watched it, and you seem like a liberal for saying stuff like that..... So that's another thing you apparently aren't aware of because of your political bias ....... What's your voter apathy like? That's a good indicator of how many Canadians may attention...... Oh, I'll probably have to remind you, but please don't call me a Fox News watching conservative. I'm one of those conservatives that is not consumed by the likes of.....

From what I've seen on posts here, it seems like it's usually the Canadians that talk about politics first, and feel the need to start bashing to feel morally superior. But, hey, me personally, I never talk about politics in real life. If someone feels the need to talk about it and then bash me for something I didn't do ..... then are they even worth talking to in the first place? By the way, the P&OC forum is not representative of most Americans. The forum is only representative of people that sit on both the far right and far left.
Now I want you to know I'm not trying to hassle you here, I'm just trying to make a point about something by picking out and bolding some of the things you said in reply to me.

Your post indicates to me that you don't think of me or Canadians or yourself or other Americans as individual persons. It indicates to me that you think of people in terms of being political entities. Now this is a trait that I have noticed in all Americans - they define themselves and other people by their political status, or what they assume other people's political status is. People are labelled. They are liberal or conservative or far right or far left or right wingers or left wingers or centrist or left of centre or right of centre. Or they are apathetic, as in voter apathy. These are all labels used to define people by their political leanings, and often these labels get used to describe people's lifestyles, or used as expletives to express disgust or displeasure, like swear words, depending on who's using the labels. America has an entire vocabulary to identify with people in connection with politics.

Whatever happened to people just being people without any political affiliations or beliefs that are influenced by politics? When did people stop being people and become political entities whose lives are ruled by politics?

I won't call you any kind of conservative because I don't think of you as any kind of conservative. I think of you as a person. I'm not particularly interested in how you define yourself politically or what your political interests are, I'm more interested in how you define yourself as a person, a unique individual who is one of a kind, just like I am a unique individual and expect to be perceived that way.

You said you thought I was a liberal because of the things that I said. You were wrong about that. I have no political affiliation and don't identify myself with politics just as I don't identify other people by their politics.

The reason I'm mentioning all this is because I had said in my earlier post that most Canadians aren't obsessed with politics the way Americans are. When we meet people we don't want to know what their politics are. We want to know who the people are, what they do, what their hobbies and interests are, what they like to eat, what they do for fun and excitement, etc. We don't care about what their politics are. Politics is a private thing with the majority of Canadians. Something you and I are in agreement about is what you said ..... "If someone feels the need to talk about it and then bash me for something I did or didn't do ..... then are they even worth talking to in the first place?"

If you and I ever meet each other (which I doubt would happen, but if ....) I won't ask you about your political beliefs and if you ask me about mine I will tell you that is private and not something I'm willing to discuss. That attitude might leave some Americans feeling totally off balance and at a loss for words because they would be pushed to try to find some kind of common ground to identify with. The real common ground would be in the discussion about other things that makes each one of us a unique individual apart from our politics.

One other thing, just as an afterthought. We don't have to identify ourselves with any particular political party when we register to vote in Federal elections the way you have to in America. I can't begin to express how shocked I was when I learned you have to do that in America. Such an invasion of privacy.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:44 AM

3,062 posts, read 4,179,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
...most Canadians aren't obsessed with politics the way Americans are. When we meet people we don't want to know what their politics are. We want to know who the people are, what they do, what their hobbies and interests are, what they like to eat, what they do for fun and excitement, etc. We don't care about what their politics are.....
Love love LOVED this post. You worded so eloquently what most Canadians would simply voice as "I don't give a flying f--- what your politics are (or your religion is for that matter) and don't ask me about mine - because the way I vote (if I choose to exercise that right) and the God I pray to (if any) is none of your business!!"

Old 09-18-2011, 05:26 AM

20,068 posts, read 16,258,763 times
Quote:
Now I want you to know I'm not trying to hassle you here, I'm just trying to make a point about something by picking out and bolding some of the things you said in reply to me.

Your post indicates to me that you don't think of me or Canadians or yourself or other Americans as individual persons. It indicates to me that you think of people in terms of being political entities. Now this is a trait that I have noticed in all Americans - they define themselves and other people by their political status, or what they assume other people's political status is. People are labelled. They are liberal or conservative or far right or far left or right wingers or left wingers or centrist or left of centre or right of centre. Or they are apathetic, as in voter apathy. These are all labels used to define people by their political leanings, and often these labels get used to describe people's lifestyles, or used as expletives to express disgust or displeasure, like swear words, depending on who's using the labels. America has an entire vocabulary to identify with people in connection with politics.

Whatever happened to people just being people without any political affiliations or beliefs that are influenced by politics? When did people stop being people and become political entities whose lives are ruled by politics?

I won't call you any kind of conservative because I don't think of you as any kind of conservative. I think of you as a person. I'm not particularly interested in how you define yourself politically or what your political interests are, I'm more interested in how you define yourself as a person, a unique individual who is one of a kind, just like I am a unique individual and expect to be perceived that way.

You said you thought I was a liberal because of the things that I said. You were wrong about that. I have no political affiliation and don't identify myself with politics just as I don't identify other people by their politics.

The reason I'm mentioning all this is because I had said in my earlier post that most Canadians aren't obsessed with politics the way Americans are. When we meet people we don't want to know what their politics are. We want to know who the people are, what they do, what their hobbies and interests are, what they like to eat, what they do for fun and excitement, etc. We don't care about what their politics are. Politics is a private thing with the majority of Canadians. Something you and I are in agreement about is what you said ..... "If someone feels the need to talk about it and then bash me for something I did or didn't do ..... then are they even worth talking to in the first place?"

If you and I ever meet each other (which I doubt would happen, but if ....) I won't ask you about your political beliefs and if you ask me about mine I will tell you that is private and not something I'm willing to discuss. That attitude might leave some Americans feeling totally off balance and at a loss for words because they would be pushed to try to find some kind of common ground to identify with. The real common ground would be in the discussion about other things that makes each one of us a unique individual apart from our politics.

One other thing, just as an afterthought. We don't have to identify ourselves with any particular political party when we register to vote in Federal elections the way you have to in America. I can't begin to express how shocked I was when I learned you have to do that in America. Such an invasion of privacy.

A joy to read..thanks

Old 09-18-2011, 07:31 AM

5,690 posts, read 6,289,777 times
Quote:
Technical corrections: In many states, you don't register to vote with a political affiliation. Most are open primary states, or some variation thereof, in which you choose which primary you wish to vote at the polling station. I've never had to register as affiliated with any political party, so I've voted in both Democrat and Republican primaries. Furthermore, the U.S. does not have federal elections. Elections for federal office are still run by the states.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:49 AM

8,567 posts, read 5,139,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Technical corrections: In many states, you don't register to vote with a political affiliation. Most are open primary states, or some variation thereof, in which you choose which primary you wish to vote at the polling station. I've never had to register as affiliated with any political party, so I've voted in both Democrat and Republican primaries. Furthermore, the U.S. does not have federal elections. Elections for federal office are still run by the states.
That's the way it is in Texas, no party affiliation. Unless of course, you want to join a party, usually for the purpose of giving it money and/or for personal gain. But not for voter registration.

Of course, Canadians don't talk about politics or voting so they don't really know or seem to care how their government abuses them. And with no political discourse there's little opportunity for political growth.

I think that's a part of why Mark Steyn left Canada and became a U.S. citizen. Certainly a gain for the U.S.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:40 AM

8,990 posts, read 4,816,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
That's the way it is in Texas, no party affiliation. Unless of course, you want to join a party, usually for the purpose of giving it money and/or for personal gain. But not for voter registration.

Of course, Canadians don't talk about politics or voting so they don't really know or seem to care how their government abuses them. And with no political discourse there's little opportunity for political growth.

I think that's a part of why Mark Steyn left Canada and became a U.S. citizen. Certainly a gain for the U.S.
"Little opportunity for political growth"?????

Canada has grown more politically in the last 30 years than the USA has in it's entire history. We have a new constitution that is workable and CLEAR in it's intent. The USA has a document for it's constitution that is so open to to abuse that slavery was permitted under it. There will be no political growth in the USA until they ditch that old, old, old thing!

The most important political change that has been made in USA politics in eons was undone by your disfunctional and partisan supreme court.
The citizens united decision just shows you how impossible it is to reform anything in the USA.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:12 AM

3,062 posts, read 4,179,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
"Little opportunity for political growth"?????

Canada has grown more politically in the last 30 years than the USA has in it's entire history. We have a new constitution that is workable and CLEAR in it's intent. The USA has a document for it's constitution that is so open to to abuse that slavery was permitted under it. There will be no political growth in the USA until they ditch that old, old, old thing!

The most important political change that has been made in USA politics in eons was undone by your disfunctional and partisan supreme court.
The citizens united decision just shows you how impossible it is to reform anything in the USA.
Oh quit making so much sense!!

Old 09-18-2011, 01:30 PM

585 posts, read 448,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Fox news is not barred from Canada at all. The truth of the matter is that here in Canada you can not lie about public affairs over the airwaves. If you do you will be forced to retract publicly what you said and be fined. If you persist your licence to broadcast will be forfeit and you will be done in the media business. That rules fox out right there because they would not be interested in reporting actual the truth. I have watched lots of Fox and I don't think I have ever heard one single little bit of truth on that network. Zero, nada, none!! Everything is slanted, distorted, misrepresented and false.

I just think it's great that the sepcial interests can't broadcast their POISON, their HATE for their own country and whip up the lunatic fringe the way they have in the USA. Fox is nothing new in the USA. Over a hundred years ago William Randolph Hearst took credit for starting the Spanish American war and he was probably at least half right. That war was the beginning of American imperialism and it's been going on ever since much to the detriment of the country and the people of the USA. We don't need or want a bunch of half witted idiots dictating public policy in this country.

It's a totally different country altogether. Can you imagine a Canadian politician claiming some journalist was unfair, asking a gotch question? LOL. Our government and I mean every single member of it get grilled mercilessly every day in the house of commons. They had better have their thinking caps on or they will be laughed out of office. Not only do they have to answer the questions put to them by the opposition who's main job it is to discredit and embarass the government whenever possible. They are not allowed to lie by the rules of parliament, will be in a heap of trouble if they do and can be forced to produce any documents relating to the question and the answer. It's not unusual at all for a member of the house to be thrown out of the house until such time he comes clean and asks the house's forgiveness for breaking the rules.

That produces a real debate. You Americans do not have any real political debates because your politicians are not answerable to anyone. Because of that fact you have many stuffed shirts elected who don't have a clue about anything at all.
I think you bring up some fantastic points. Especially about the US politicians not being answerable.

I was amazed last time I was in Canada to see how tough the journalists were. I was watching TV in my hotel room, and some political candidate/office holder was on - I don't know who or what side he was on - and he was getting GRILLED the interviewer. That just made me feel all warm and fuzzy because that was the press doing the job the press is supposed to do.

Contrast that to the USA, where the press asks a question, and the responder just blathers on about whatever the heck (s)he feels like, whatever the talking points of the day are, whether or not it has anything remotely to do with the question asked. The press interviewer almost NEVER says, "you didn't answer my question". The press is so wimpy, they really aren't good for anything but milquetoast stories about what's going on in the world.

Also, in the USA, politicians just outright lie constantly, and the only ones who call them on it are fringe outlets like mediamatters.org and truthout. The mainstream press is completely useless for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada