Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 03:03 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm not sure about "socially tolerant". Many Canadians aren't favorably disposed toward First Nations people, and Canada has been notorious among same, internationally, for having some of the worst policies. I suppose that all could be chalked up to the "there's always room for improvement" department, but still... If you're a First Nations member, you wouldn't feel the country is very tolerant.
Canadians only see the one side of the equation regarding First Nations being the recipients of largesse abused. We oftentimes forget to consider the first nations are only suffering the generational results of negative influences by the earlier governments of Canada.

We've got a lot of ground to make up as regards being co-partners in nationhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 05:29 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm not sure about "socially tolerant". Many Canadians aren't favorably disposed toward First Nations people, and Canada has been notorious among same, internationally, for having some of the worst policies. I suppose that all could be chalked up to the "there's always room for improvement" department, but still... If you're a First Nations member, you wouldn't feel the country is very tolerant.
Canadian First Nation are focused on decolonization.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:33 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
LOL that is true ,, I have a REALLY longtime horse show friend who's family's ranch I would go spend time on in the summers aways out of Saskatoon when I still broke out 2 year olds ( horses) and you are very correct , nothing English about that ! I am also SURE I don't have to explain what it was like when I would visit another close friend in Quebec City ... yes Victoria is exactly where I am talking about,I just go right across the border from here in Wa and it's ahhhhh <3 Plus most of what I watch on TV is Canadian so I forget where I am sometimes without all that hate and yelling.

The Netherlands let things get too far and they do not know how to handle what is going on .. the way they are they should have let no one in - of course I totally realize that is not possible but they can hardly handle anyone from anywhere else .. I lived there a good long while and they weren't too thrilled about me either and made it known loud and clear based on untruths about a general population ( I killed all of the Indians and I love the death penalty?? I thought they were kidding at first ) . Its a good thing I am kind of a loner .

Now we cannot go back due to the refugee situation . We have to jump through some fairly insurmountable hoops to go back .. not my husband or our youngest teen but because they are chained to me ( plain American Citizen / NL perm resident ) I am the one that makes it hard . Lots of $$ tests , 90 days for my husband to have a signed work 1.5 year contract worth x amount after not having been there over a decade , housing within 90 days and no living with any relative while my BIL has been waiting for a house for years now- he married a women from northern Holland sold his house to move to her town in Holland, then some years later they returned and they are still living with Pa waiting - we cannot live with Pa because I am not a Dutch citizen and it would be WAY too crammed for me and for all of us. The college level language test I now have to take , taught by random employees at the city hall you are registered with and after YEARS my Dutch is still awful.

I don't know what is going to happen over there .
The Dutch have a long history of opening their borders. Anyone remember the trouble with the South Moluccans?

Old 07-26-2016, 07:37 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,069,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
If a Canadian stands up and yells, I love Canada, everyone agrees with them. In the U.S., if someone yells I love America, people point fingers and call them an isolationist hatemonger.
It really depends on who's doing the yelling and in what manner

Old 07-27-2016, 09:16 PM

910 posts, read 1,081,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
If your premise is because a country is diverse it's prone to more gun violence, I would have to disagree.

If that were the case, other countries who are diverse would show that.

Your assumption that Canadians " are all the same " is ridiculous and false. Canada is a very diverse country.

"The usual suspects lead the list of culturally diverse countries: Chad, Cameroon, Nigeria, Togo and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. These and other African countries typically rank high on any diversity index because of their multitude of tribal groups and languages. The only western country to break into the top 20 most diverse is Canada. The United States ranks near the middle, slightly more diverse than Russia but slightly less diverse than Spain."

The most (and least) culturally diverse countries in the world | Pew Research Center

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rse-countries/

As for Europe, even with all the nut jobs the numbers of deaths by guns is nothing compared to the US.

Guns ARE the problem.
Canada is 80% white based on your most recent census. You may want to forget about rural Canada, like most Canadians I have met from cities like Vancouver, but it is a fact. I never said that diversity creates violence. What creates violence is bringing in a race of people by force into your country, many who never wanted to leave their homeland. Then on top of that, they are forced to stay and abandon their own culture. These people raise their children to resent their new home, and next thing you know, generations later, they are marching in the street, demanding changes to the country to fit their wants. They are raised to hate people who are different from them.

I grew up in an area in South Florida where whites were the minority. I found black and Latina women to be some of the most beautiful women in the world. So as a teenager, I made the mistake of trying to date black girls. What happened to me is the type of pure racial hatred that the media doesn't want to cover. I went to the front door to take a girl to a high school dance. Her father opens the door and says "heck naw, you gonna bring a craker to my house". He slammed the door in my face. I started to go back to my car. A group of black men come around from the back of the house and ask,"where you going white boy". I never saw the first punch. By the time they were through with me, I couldn't see out of both eyes, my lips were busted wide open, and my nose was swollen shut. Needless to say I missed that dance. The police did a report, and nothing happened as no one would talk to the cops. I then spent the better part of 2 months being randomly sucker punched in school. There isn't a single white person alive today that had anything to do with slavery. Yet the black community continues to bring the subject up. They want the whites of today to pay for a sin from over a hundred years ago.

Canada is blessed in they were smart enough to distance themselves from this. All of the people there that you mentioned with different backgrounds, they want to be there. You don't have a group of Mexicans claiming that California, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona were stolen from them and they want it back. You don't have millions of Africans there that were stolen from their homes and forced to be human mules, and then released into society where they didn't even count for almost 60 years. You don't have 3 groups of citizens that hate each other. I feel really sad for the United States, as we have a very rough road ahead.

And a gun doesn't have a thing to do with it.

Last edited by ericsvibe; 07-27-2016 at 09:37 PM..

Old 07-28-2016, 11:53 AM

230 posts, read 535,693 times
Quote:
I then spent the better part of 2 months being randomly sucker punched in school. There isn't a single white person alive today that had anything to do with slavery. Yet the black community continues to bring the subject up. They want the whites of today to pay for a sin from over a hundred years ago.
I'm not Black, but I doubt they want anyone to "pay for a sin from over a hundred years ago." They want acknowledgement that slavery, Jim Crow, redlining, white flight, police brutality, etc. have had disastrous effects on their people and communities, and that until we can acknowledge those issues and redress them appropriately, we will never solve the racial tension that currently exists.

Quote:
Canada is blessed in they were smart enough to distance themselves from this. All of the people there that you mentioned with different backgrounds, they want to be there. You don't have a group of Mexicans claiming that California, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona were stolen from them and they want it back. You don't have millions of Africans there that were stolen from their homes and forced to be human mules, and then released into society where they didn't even count for almost 60 years. You don't have 3 groups of citizens that hate each other. I feel really sad for the United States, as we have a very rough road ahead.
I have never known anyone of Mexican descent that believes that these states were "stolen from them." I don't dispute that some may believe that, but if that upsets you, you should also be upset at the amount of historical inaccuracies many White Americans believe about the US. That's far more shocking.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:34 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,069,942 times
I think successive administrations in the US have helped fuel the divide by setting up policy programs that hurt poor people in the long run. There appears to be no game plan or long view of a future goal. People seem too afraid to make the tough and unpopular decisions.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:57 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I think successive administrations in the US have helped fuel the divide by setting up policy programs that hurt poor people in the long run. There appears to be no game plan or long view of a future goal. People seem too afraid to make the tough and unpopular decisions.
Well duh. Tough and unpopular decisions keep you from getting re-elected and feeding at that sweet, sweet taxpayer funded trough until you can flip it to become a lobbyist to the next round of self centred numptys.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 748 times
Quote:
the real problem with the u.s., is our people. We came from everywhere, and due to this, we are fractured as a nation. Diversity doesn't work when all of the groups of people want to stay true to their heritage. Countries like canada, the nordic nations, most of europe, they have peace because they are all the same. Look at all of the problems there now, due to them letting in millions of people of color, without time for them to homogenize. The idiots of centuries past screwed our country up by bringing in millions of african slaves. We are paying for that sin 10 fold now.
this!

Old 10-02-2016, 10:45 PM

577 posts, read 1,474,534 times
Countries like ... Canada - have peace because "they are all the same"???
I'm having the biggest laugh ever. Very bad example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada