U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-08-2009, 09:24 AM

218 posts, read 774,491 times

Advertisements

Apologies if this has been done before.

Vancouver-San Francisco
Calgary-Denver
Edmonton-Minneapolis
Winnipeg-Kansas City
Toronto-Chicago
Ottawa-Washington DC
Montreal-New York City
Quebec City-New Orleans
Halifax-Boston

Old 11-08-2009, 09:37 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,242,313 times
Not bad.. couldn't really disagree with any up there. I'd add in:

Regina - Austin
Hamilton - Pittsburgh

Old 11-08-2009, 11:29 AM

1,645 posts, read 2,902,234 times
Regina like Austin? No way. Been to both places and Austin TX is way better than Regina.
Winnipeg like Minneapolis? Nope. Winnipeg is not nearly as cosmopolitan as Minneapolis. But it probably is as cold, or colder. It is an overgrown cow town with tons of restaurants and bookstores. The weather is awful and the wind. Oh, I remember winds howling all year long.

Blah.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:32 PM

218 posts, read 774,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
Regina like Austin? No way. Been to both places and Austin TX is way better than Regina.
Winnipeg like Minneapolis? Nope. Winnipeg is not nearly as cosmopolitan as Minneapolis. But it probably is as cold, or colder. It is an overgrown cow town with tons of restaurants and bookstores. The weather is awful and the wind. Oh, I remember winds howling all year long.

Blah.
I said Winnepeg is equivalent to Kansas City, and Edmonton is equivalent to Minneapolis.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:22 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,615,617 times
I would say Toronto and Minneapolis, except Toronto is more cosmopolitan and you can feel it's the heart of a nation.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:13 PM

793 posts, read 507,145 times
Vancouver-Seattle
Calgary-Denver
Edmonton-Nashville
Winnipeg-Kansas City
Toronto-Chicago
Ottawa-Washington DC
Montreal-Boston
Quebec City-New Orleans
Halifax-Portland, ME
Hamilton-Cleveland
Regina-Des Moines
Windsor-Detroit

Old 11-08-2009, 04:35 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,615,617 times
What about St. John's?

Old 11-08-2009, 06:08 PM

9,107 posts, read 12,606,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
What about St. John's?
Portland, ME?

Old 11-08-2009, 06:19 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,242,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
Edmonton-Nashville
Hamilton-Cleveland
How is Hamilton more like Cleveland than Pittsburgh.. Cleveland was not a steel city like Pittsburgh was, it's more into auto-manufacturing. Also i would like to know how Edmonton is like Nashville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
It's just..... better? Care to expand on why the "betterment" differs in the similarities with the cities?

Old 11-08-2009, 07:22 PM

793 posts, read 507,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
How is Hamilton more like Cleveland than Pittsburgh.. Cleveland was not a steel city like Pittsburgh was, it's more into auto-manufacturing. Also i would like to know how Edmonton is like Nashville.
Cleveland was not a steel city?

- Home to LTV: The Nations 3rd largest Steel maker and 2nd largest producer of flat rolled steel.

- Jones and Laughlin Steel company (based in Pittsburgh) moved into the Midwest Market by acquiring Otis J&L and making the Cleveland location the second largest operations in the United States.

- Jones Day (The worlds 8th largest law firm) was to "go-to" law firm for the Steel Industry in the mid 1900's. JOnes Day originated in Cleveland, OH.

Cleveland may have not been Steel City the way Pittsburgh was, but it was a major player, if not the number 2 behind Pittsburgh. The Steel Industry for many years had a larger share of Cleveland's GDP than the Auto-Industry.

Now the comparison more comes from what each city is today with a view to its history. Pittsburgh has done a much better job of diversifying its economy since the decline of Manufacturing than Hamilton and Cleveland.

Pittsburgh has shifted its focus to High Tech, tourism and services while both Hamilton and Cleveland have focused on Medical Research (Cleveland Clinic and McMaster University)

As far as Edmonton and Nashville are concerned I will reply later when I have a little more time, but the parallels between Cleveland and Hamilton are striking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada