U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 10:57 AM

1,049 posts, read 5,843,930 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting article published in Vancouver's Georgia Straight newspaper:

For many immigrants, depression's part of life in Canada | Vancouver, Canada | Straight.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 11:31 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
I think that a country that receives as many immigrants as Canada does must do everything possible in order to make the transition a smooth one.

That said, immigrating is more often than not a huge upheaval in a person's life and so it is almost par for the course to face bitter disappointments and difficulties.

I think that many immigrants end up comforting themselves in that "they're doing it for the children", and that a partial sacrifice of their personal future will allow their kids to have a better one.

In the article, it actually says that the depressed fellow's kids are perfectly happy in Canada.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:42 AM

705 posts, read 1,631,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think that a country that receives as many immigrants as Canada does must do everything possible in order to make the transition a smooth one.

That said, immigrating is more often than not a huge upheaval in a person's life and so it is almost par for the course to face bitter disappointments and difficulties.

I think that many immigrants end up comforting themselves in that "they're doing it for the children", and that a partial sacrifice of their personal future will allow their kids to have a better one.

In the article, it actually says that the depressed fellow's kids are perfectly happy in Canada.
you are right. Kids are generally happier in Canada as they have more space to play and it is safer than most developing countries as well. Not to mention less homework

For the adults, that is a different story. Moving to a different countries means they give up their job, social network and come out of their comfort zone and face linguistic and sometimes financial difficulties. Plus, it is extremely to make friends in cities such as Toronto.

The worst thing is, many later find Canada doesn't offer the level of life quality they were expecting, which leads to the "I gave up everything I had just for this" kind of mentality.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:42 PM

287 posts, read 900,093 times
The people mentioned in this article also had the misfortune of moving here during the worst recession in decades, and lots of people aside from immigrants are worried and depressed right now.

The other problem is, in certain lines of work Canada will not recognize an immigrant's credentials no matter how highly accomplished they are, due to the different laws and regulations of that field. Not to say these people didn't, but it goes to show that prospective emigrants to Canada or anywhere else really need to do some serious research and know what they're getting into, especially with the high level of bureaucracy involved in the Canadian immigration process.

Fortunately there are some avenues of help for them, but probably not enough. I guess the silver lining is that their children are happy so in a sense they accomplished what they wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
Kids are generally happier in Canada as they have more space to play and it is safer than most developing countries as well. Not to mention less homework
Hmmm I didn't know Canadian schools have less homework than other countries.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:59 PM

1,655 posts, read 5,219,879 times
I find this study flawed, immigrants tend to instantaneously flee to their respective ethic enclave when they come to the GTA.. so it makes it an easier transition. I agree if they are not accustomed to the culture and that may create some stress but there are outlets available.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:56 AM

705 posts, read 1,631,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggo View Post
Hmmm I didn't know Canadian schools have less homework than other countries.
Well, I can't say for all, but the homework for a typical primary or high school student is probably half of that in my native country, where it is close to brutal. Last time I checked the class schedule of a 13 year old girl here in Toronto, I am shocked by how light that was and was saying to myself "wow these kids have a wonderful life!"

Old 11-27-2009, 06:33 AM

7,219 posts, read 6,572,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggo View Post
The people mentioned in this article also had the misfortune of moving here during the worst recession in decades, and lots of people aside from immigrants are worried and depressed right now.
This is very true. I know a lot of well established working people born in Canada who have either lost their jobs or had their hours reduced in the past 18 months. Same thing is happening in the States. This is causing anxiety for many people, not only new immigrants.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:34 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,157,921 times
Question What an odd comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
The worst thing is, many later find Canada doesn't offer the level of life quality they were expecting, which leads to the "I gave up everything I had just for this" kind of mentality.
Unless they came from a really wealthy country like Qatar or Kuwait or something, I doubt they would be complaining about the quality of life in Canada.

Canada has, hands down, one of the best ratings for "quality of life" in the world.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:01 AM

1,049 posts, read 5,843,930 times
True, but if you were successful in your old country, you're probably hoping to be successful in your new adopted country too.

The article's highlighting immigrants who were successful engineers and university professors in their old country, who were hoping to take on similar jobs in Canada - but cannot. As a result, they're not experiencing that same kind of success in Canada and can't build up the same kind of wealth in Canada that they had in their former country.

When you're jobless, you're typically not thinking of quality of life. You're thinking "how am I going to support myself? My family?" You're thinking survival.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:05 AM

1,746 posts, read 4,632,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Unless they came from a really wealthy country like Qatar or Kuwait or something, I doubt they would be complaining about the quality of life in Canada.
Right! If you have a job. And not any job. Did you bother to read the article at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or