U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-27-2009, 04:26 PM
 
52,610 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Reputation: 11626

Advertisements

What are some nearby American cities that Canadians like to visit or frequent? I ask because it is no big thing to see Ontario and sometimes Quebec plates here in the Syracuse area. This is especially the case in the city of Syracuse, the Northern suburbs(Cicero, Clay, North Syracuse, Liverpool, Mattydale, etc.) and the shopping malls and centers(Carousel Center, Great Northern Mall, Armory Square section of Downtown Syracuse, Marketplace Shopping Center in Cicero, the Towne Center at Fayetteville, the COR Center on Route 31 in Clay, Shoppingtown Mall, Northern Lights Shopping Center, etc.). Same thing in Watertown NY, Detroit and Buffalo from my personal experience.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2009, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
1,049 posts, read 5,718,255 times
Reputation: 1113
Most Canadians, if they live near the American border (which most Canadians do) will often visit whatever cities or towns are nearest to where they live. It's as simple as that. There reason they visit the USA frequently (more than Americans visit Canada) is that often the American cities and towns are much closer than the next closest Canadian city. People in Vancouver visit Seattle more than any other American city. People in Montreal visit Boston and NYC. People in eastern Canada vacation in the south-eastern USA (Florida). People in western Canada vacation in California and Hawaii. And so on.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2009, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Toronto
1,655 posts, read 5,089,585 times
Reputation: 809
I'm in Buffalo a lot.. and take the odd trip to Pittsburgh or Cleveland but no where beyond those points.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2009, 09:42 PM
 
9,326 posts, read 18,977,259 times
Reputation: 4394
When I lived in Toronto I went to Buffalo a LOT.
Niagara Falls: Outlet
Buffalo: Frank Lloyd Wright House tour, Allentown Art Fair, Art Museums, Saab dealer and..
BUFFALO AIRPORT - half of the cars in the car park seem to be Ontarians doing what I am doing, escaping the high cost of flying out of Pearson!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
20,571 posts, read 25,620,517 times
Reputation: 8094
I live in southwestern Quebec (Gatineau) which is right across the river from Ottawa, Ontario. We have to drive through Ontario to get to the States, but generally where people go to shop is Watertown, NY (don’t know exactly why) or Syracuse, NY (good shopping there). Neither of these places are tourist destinations for Gatineau or Ottawa people however.

Many people from Ottawa and Gatineau use Syracuse airport for flights to destinations in the U.S.

More touristy destinations across the border from us would be the Lake Placid and Adirondacks region.

People from other areas of Quebec will generally cross-border shop in Plattsburgh or Burlington for short incursions or push further into the States to places like North Conway, NH if they have more time.

Popular touristy destinations for Quebecers are the obvious ones: NYC, Boston and of course the “Ici nous parlons français” beaches of southern Maine around Old Orchard, Ogunquit, etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Boston
7,336 posts, read 15,298,585 times
Reputation: 8612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Popular touristy destinations for Quebecers are the obvious ones: NYC, Boston and of course the “Ici nous parlons français” beaches of southern Maine around Old Orchard, Ogunquit, etc.
I live in Boston now. Of course it's different when you're in a bigger city because the tourists sort of blend into the crowd, but I've still met many people from Quebec here. I used to live in Portland, Maine (actually, a year in Old Orchard too) and I laughed when I read your response. I would say that I saw as many, if not more, Quebec registrations as Maine plates in Southern Maine in the summer. Also, around Christmas (especially when the CAD is strong compared to the USD), most of the little hotels around the Maine Mall in South Portland are booked by Quebec natives. Even many of the street signs in Southern Maine kindly point (in French) the Quebecois back towards their province.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Vermont
3,290 posts, read 8,549,909 times
Reputation: 1928
We have lots of visitors in Burlington VT that come down from the greater Montreal area to shop/dine etc. Our airport is also very popular with folks north of the border.....30% of the passengers leaving BTV are from Quebec.
__________________
City Data Terms of Service:
http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 01:12 PM
 
52,610 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Reputation: 11626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I live in southwestern Quebec (Gatineau) which is right across the river from Ottawa, Ontario. We have to drive through Ontario to get to the States, but generally where people go to shop is Watertown, NY (don’t know exactly why) or Syracuse, NY (good shopping there). Neither of these places are tourist destinations for Gatineau or Ottawa people however.

Many people from Ottawa and Gatineau use Syracuse airport for flights to destinations in the U.S.

More touristy destinations across the border from us would be the Lake Placid and Adirondacks region.

People from other areas of Quebec will generally cross-border shop in Plattsburgh or Burlington for short incursions or push further into the States to places like North Conway, NH if they have more time.

Popular touristy destinations for Quebecers are the obvious ones: NYC, Boston and of course the “Ici nous parlons français” beaches of southern Maine around Old Orchard, Ogunquit, etc.
Watertown has Salmon Run Mall and Arsenal Street, has been built up a lot by the mall within the last 5-6 years.

I can see the rest of what you are talking about. You do see quite a few Quebec and Ontario plates at the Airport here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2009, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
20,571 posts, read 25,620,517 times
Reputation: 8094
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Watertown has Salmon Run Mall and Arsenal Street, has been built up a lot by the mall within the last 5-6 years.

I can see the rest of what you are talking about. You do see quite a few Quebec and Ontario plates at the Airport here.
It is just that Watertown is so tiny compared to Ottawa. Unless there was some big ticket item I was looking for and knew I’d save a bundle on, I just don’t see the point of someone who lives in a metro area of 1.2 million people going to Watertown just to shop.
Syracuse, on the other hand, although smaller than Ottawa, offers a lot of stuff you can’t find anywhere in Ottawa or Gatineau just because the chains are often not the same as in Canada.

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
 
52,610 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Reputation: 11626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It is just that Watertown is so tiny compared to Ottawa. Unless there was some big ticket item I was looking for and knew I’d save a bundle on, I just don’t see the point of someone who lives in a metro area of 1.2 million people going to Watertown just to shop.
Syracuse, on the other hand, although smaller than Ottawa, offers a lot of stuff you can’t find anywhere in Ottawa or Gatineau just because the chains are often not the same as in Canada.
Yeah, true. I think part of the reason some go to Watertown is because it is closer and they still might have some of the chains you don't find in Ottawa.

Syracuse also might have some locally owned stores that Canadians might like to check out like the ones on Marshall and Westcott Streets, both near Syracuse University or Armory Square. They both have some consignment stores and the Marshall Street area has a couple of good stores for shoes. Villages like Fayetteville, Cazenovia, Skaneateles and Liverpool have some nice stores and restaurants in their Downtowns as well. All, except for Liverpool are known for being relatively affluent too.

This also reminds me that I have to take a trip to Ottawa in the near future. I've only been there once for a little while, but it is a nice city with great architecture. It's also interesting that my area is closer to Canada's capital than the one in my own country. Both are still pretty close though. It's almost the same thing in regards to the two biggest cities for each country as well.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top