U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 06:19 AM

985 posts, read 3,189,350 times

Advertisements

How come Edmonton's warmer than Winnipeg, in spite of its being almost 4 higher in latitude and 430 m higher in elevation?
It doesn't get Chinooks, neither is it that close to the sea, which lies behind the Rockies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 11:26 AM

7,827 posts, read 10,349,004 times
Warmer when?

Winnipeg's summers are much milder than Edmonton's. If you think that the Pacific has no impact on the weather, then you need to validate what causes chinooks. Just because Edmonton doesn't reap the same level of benefits that Calgary does, doesn't mean that it stays locked in a frozen hell like Manitoba. (although it's close)

Old 12-14-2009, 12:22 PM

741 posts, read 2,497,604 times
because it's friggin cursed that's why...

Old 12-15-2009, 02:39 PM

9,595 posts, read 22,894,251 times
Something about Winnipeg's proximity Hudsons Bay might be part of it.
Have you seen how cold Churchill, Manitoba is?
Most of mainlaind Northwest Territories sees much warmer summers.

Air tends to flows westward, and Edmonton might experience many days with mild "compressional heating." (weak effects of "chinook")

Old 12-15-2009, 02:46 PM

741 posts, read 2,497,604 times
All I know is I sure wouldn't like to be in Edmonton these past few days...

YIKES!

Old 12-19-2009, 09:03 PM

8 posts, read 35,594 times
I agree with Cold Canadian, having seen so many years of weather forecasts, one prominent feature is how the isobars seem to take the dip, parallel waves like a ripple effect in a pond, from Hudson Bay. Even subsequent, more southern ones do the same dip. I have always thought of Hudson Bay as the villain that makes cities like Toronto and Detroit so much colder than their European counterparts of similar latitude, such as Rome.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:20 AM

9,595 posts, read 22,894,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyO1 View Post
I agree with Cold Canadian, having seen so many years of weather forecasts, one prominent feature is how the isobars seem to take the dip, parallel waves like a ripple effect in a pond, from Hudson Bay. Even subsequent, more southern ones do the same dip. I have always thought of Hudson Bay as the villain that makes cities like Toronto and Detroit so much colder than their European counterparts of similar latitude, such as Rome.
Ice on Hudson Bay was to blame for Toronto's cool June this year, and it's what, 1000 miles north of us?

Take a look at the averages for Timmins, Ontario.
I think it's still south the 49th parallel, western Canada's southern border.
Yet it's probably cooler/colder on average than places like Winnipeg, Regina or Calgary.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:59 PM

8 posts, read 35,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Ice on Hudson Bay was to blame for Toronto's cool June this year, and it's what, 1000 miles north of us?

Take a look at the averages for Timmins, Ontario.
I think it's still south the 49th parallel, western Canada's southern border.
Yet it's probably cooler/colder on average than places like Winnipeg, Regina or Calgary.

I think your example of Timmins illustrates my point. Timmins is much closer to Hudson's Bay than prairie cities, including Winnipeg (James Bay, a subset, to be more specific).

Also, its the spring in which Hudson's Bay impact is most pronounced. I forgot to state that. Toronto and Detroit sure get hot enough, and then some, in the summer, at least most years.

And, in checking the figures, Winnipeg is about two celsius degrees warmer in July than is Edmonton, but Winnipeg's spring is later off the mark, its about two degrees colder in April than Edmonotn and a phenomenal 6 degrees colder in January. Brrrrr. Winterpeg!

Check out the climate graphs on Wikipedia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada