U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 07:54 AM

4 posts, read 12,693 times

Advertisements

A former tenant of mine absconded without paying a significant amount of rent money.

She has left no forwarding address except a fake on on the tenancy agreement but I did keep a record of her bank details when she made her first and only payment.

I know she's back in Canada and probably Montreal, and her account is with Royal Bank of Canada. From what I understand the first part of her account which is 091208 should reveal the exact area she is likely to be living in. Does anyone know of any website which lists the bank codes against the areas?

Last edited by learnbymistakes; 12-13-2009 at 08:24 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 06:28 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,874,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learnbymistakes View Post
A former tenant of mine absconded without paying a significant amount of rent money.

She has left no forwarding address except a fake on on the tenancy agreement but I did keep a record of her bank details when she made her first and only payment.

I know she's back in Canada and probably Montreal, and her account is with Royal Bank of Canada. From what I understand the first part of her account which is 091208 should reveal the exact area she is likely to be living in. Does anyone know of any website which lists the bank codes against the areas?
My bank account is located 200 miles away from where I live - so really, knowing the location of her bank won't tell you much, but, for what it's worth, here are some links which you may find helpful - one to a link that shows where the transit number is on an RBC cheque http://www.rbc.com/canada/images/EN_cheque_example.gif

and the other is to where you can look up the branch location from the transit number. RBC Royal Bank - Branch and ATM Locator

If I was looking for someone I would be searching on Facebook

Old 12-14-2009, 11:23 AM

9,019 posts, read 13,206,491 times
That and never discount the effects of PIPPA in frustrating your every search.

Personal Information Privacy and Protection Act effectively requires your written consent before any party can release any information about you. Consent is also revocable at will. Consequences for violation by a company or individual are quite severe.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:49 PM

Thank you both for the information. After more research, I've now discovered that I was looking at the wrong part of the account number which you call a 'transit code'. It's not 091208 but instead 07191. Using the link above, I've established the precise location of the bank my tenant uses. Also, using Google Street View, I can see it is just down the road from the fake address my tenant gave me. I say fake address, but in actual fact it is a real place on google street view, but it looks like a business of some kind - maybe a storage unit. There is a number and a name above the door but it's too blurred to make any sense of.

Any ideas how I can track her down? Can you recommend any licensed private investigators?

Old 12-14-2009, 02:08 PM

1,049 posts, read 6,263,507 times
Have you called the police?

Old 12-14-2009, 02:44 PM

The police won't get involved in what is regarded a statutory offence. If you walk out of a super market with a bag of shopping which you haven't paid for, you are legally a thief whom the police can apprehend. But if you stay in someone's property without paying rent and bills and then abscond, the police don't want to know.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:00 PM

By the way, one of you suggested searching on Facebook. How can I search for someone's address using Facebook?

Old 12-14-2009, 03:49 PM

250 posts, read 535,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learnbymistakes View Post
By the way, one of you suggested searching on Facebook. How can I search for someone's address using Facebook?
Same way you search for stuff on google!! www.facebook.com -search-john/jane doe-enter- scroll down list of several pages. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada