Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 01:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post
I am the OP - posted this 5+ years ago!! I haven't been back to this site in ages. Imagine my surprise when I saw my post is still generating some interest... thanks everyone!!

I am now back living in Canada once again. The first few months I went nuts having all those Canadian food items... of course when they are around all the time, you sort of return to an ambivalent state, LOL

Just a note on the "all dressed" pizza controversy it is definitely location-specific. I'm back in Sask. and most pizza restaurants do use this term to describe a pizza with 3 to 4 types of meat, usually with green peppers and onions.
Welcome home ! Food is always a good topic to discuss ! So now that you are back in Canada, what foods do you miss from the U.S. that you can't get here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 02:34 PM

266 posts, read 1,195,515 times
LOL... yes, there are some things I miss, for sure... there is a frozen item called "pizza pockets" I do not believe they sell here (nothing like the "pizza pops" for sale everywhere). I used to just love them - about the size of a shredded wheat cereal bit, stuffed with cheese and pepperoni - and very flavorful. Also, I lived in upstate NY and the grocery store Wegmans was awesome... they had these cheese dips made in-house, and I have not been able to replicate them despite trying!! Another thing I miss from the US were the much cheaper prices for groceries (at least in the areas I lived in)... probably miss this most of all, haha. I'm sure there is more - I'll probably remember later.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:40 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
LOL... yes, there are some things I miss, for sure... there is a frozen item called "pizza pockets" I do not believe they sell here (nothing like the "pizza pops" for sale everywhere). I used to just love them - about the size of a shredded wheat cereal bit, stuffed with cheese and pepperoni - and very flavorful. Also, I lived in upstate NY and the grocery store Wegmans was awesome... they had these cheese dips made in-house, and I have not been able to replicate them despite trying!! Another thing I miss from the US were the much cheaper prices for groceries (at least in the areas I lived in)... probably miss this most of all, haha. I'm sure there is more - I'll probably remember later.
Pizza Pockets? Do they have an all-dressed variety? LOL Sorry couldn't resist.

I love cheese. When you tried to replicate them did you use the recipes that are online? I think I might try some of these.

Cheesy Artichoke Dip*| Wegmans

Roasted Delicata, Spinach, and Goat Cheese Dip*| Wegmans

Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 PM

Hey, thanks for the links... do you know, I didn't even think to look up copycat recipes!! There was also a buffalo chicken cheese dip - I can look for that one too.

LOL on the all dressed pizza pockets... if only, hee hee

I definitely miss the US BBQ restaurants too - they sure know how to do it right. Plus a couple of US chain restaurants - UNO Chicago (ok - now there is some good US pizza!! hadn't tasted that when I made the OP)

Old 02-03-2013, 03:52 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Pizza Pockets are made by McCain got a box of 4 peperoni too watch the Super Bowl and have as a Quick snack later on this week

Old 02-04-2013, 12:30 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
Canada has some great snacks i fondly remember when i was there for awhile with a Cdn ex:
-Hickory sticks (smokey flavored potato 'sticks')..they generally have a more daring range of chip flavors like ketchup, pickle, bacon
- Wagon Wheels (choc covered marshmallow rounds with a cookie center)
-also the packaging on their candy (chocolate) bars are different for the same items, and they taste a little different too- Oh Henry, Reese peanut butter cups..there are tons you cant find in the US (or vice versa i guess) like Coffee Crisp, Cherry Blossom, Eat More and Smarties

Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,907 times
LOL Pizza Pockets and candy bars.

None of that stuff should be eaten with any regularity.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
LOL Pizza Pockets and candy bars.

None of that stuff should be eaten with any regularity.
Everyday foods are pretty much the same, though in the US and Canada... it is some of the special treats that stand out in one's memory and that are different.

Last edited by kitty71; 02-04-2013 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 02-06-2013, 01:25 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,423,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Canada has some great snacks i fondly remember when i was there for awhile with a Cdn ex:
-Hickory sticks (smokey flavored potato 'sticks')..they generally have a more daring range of chip flavors like ketchup, pickle, bacon
- Wagon Wheels (choc covered marshmallow rounds with a cookie center)
-also the packaging on their candy (chocolate) bars are different for the same items, and they taste a little different too- Oh Henry, Reese peanut butter cups..there are tons you cant find in the US (or vice versa i guess) like Coffee Crisp, Cherry Blossom, Eat More and Smarties

f1000..................you guys don't have Hickory Sticks!?!?!?!?!?!?!? So sad for you lol.

Man, it's really strange learning what's here and not there. As far as Hickory Sticks are concerned, I can't say I've ever seen any other variety other than the smokey flavoured ones though.

You know what I love about Hickory Sticks? Even with a really small bag, they seem to last forever.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:02 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,408,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
You know what I love about Hickory Sticks? Even with a really small bag, they seem to last forever.
Love Hickory Sticks! Great snacks! And they do seem to last forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada