U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 9,438 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've just been granted my working-holiday visa from the Canadian Consulate General! I now have to decide where in Canada to spend time.

Does anyone have any suggestions, given:
- I'm a 25 year old I.T. professional Australian
- There needs to be employment opportunities, specifically contract I.T. work
- There needs to be young people to support a social life
- Place needs to be nearby to mountainous scenery - I'm a nature freak
- Needs to have a reasonably good public transport system

From reading these forums Vancouver sounds like the place to be. Ultimately I want to spend my time in as livable City as possible!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

On another note - if I arrive in October, is this going to be too late for me to catch the Autumn forest colours?

When does Winter thaw in Vancouver?

Can you do outdoor activities like walking and mountain biking pretty much throughout winter?

Thanks - I don't want to arrive and just spend the next 6 months indoors is all! I'm a bit nervous about arriving at the onset of Winter.

All the best,

Luke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 07:11 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,095,584 times
Vancouver is definitely the place to be ....other than the rain ...it is mild all year ...(though probably not by Australian standards) ....but it averages above freezing in winter ...January average high is 43 degrees fahrenheit (6 degrees centrigrade)...47 in february ....52 in March ...however winter is the rainy season ...closest Australian climate would be probably in Tasmania (Hobart?) ....so you could mtn bike in winter if/when dry enough ... October is peak for autumn color ...even into November ...though Vancouver has alot of evergreens ...you'll like the city ..it's young vibrant and plenty of night life ...lots of sports minded people ....especially up in Whistler (mountain ski resort area)

Old 06-04-2007, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 6,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hierophant View Post
On another note - if I arrive in October
If you come the first two weeks of October you may want to visit the Kitchener Waterloo Ontario area then as North Americas Largest Bavarin Festival takes place then.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 9,438 times
Thanks for the replies!

I see, so Vancouver stands to be cold and wet in Winter. When does spring arrive? April, May? Too bad about the lots of evergreens - I was looking forward to some crazy autumn colours.

Hobart in Tasmania is actually quite dry! But west coast Tasmania cops a lot of rain. In some parts, something ridiculous like 300 days of the year.

Anyway .. sounds like I'll have to fit the mountain bike with some serious mud-guards.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:42 AM

315 posts, read 1,270,492 times
Montreal is better for a young person. You will find many people your age from all over the world. There are much more reasonable rents such as 500.00 per month. Subway system, bike paths and a huge mountain in the middle of the city to take the bike on. Snow and cold didn't really settle in until the middle of January last year. Sure it's cold in January and February but if you dress right and are healthy it won't be that bad. I'd rather see sun throughout the winter than constant grey skies and rain like in B.C.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:15 AM

1,049 posts, read 5,844,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hierophant View Post
Thanks for the replies!

I see, so Vancouver stands to be cold and wet in Winter. When does spring arrive? April, May? Too bad about the lots of evergreens - I was looking forward to some crazy autumn colours.
You're probably here by now, but spring starts in February, flowers are in bloom in March, Japanese cherry trees are in full bloom in April, and by early May you have the late spring flowers in bloom. Vancouver has the longest and most beautiful spring in Canada. Everywhere else in Canada (with exception to Vancouver Island), it's basically winter until April when all the snow melts, leaving dirty slush everywhere. Trees don't get green leaves until May. Spring arrives in mid-late May, and then it's summer in June.

Right now is the best time for fall colours, but you won't see it in the wilderness, you'll see it in local botanical gardens, city parks, and in our residential neighbourhoods where oaks, maples, larch, alder, and chestnut grow along the streets. They're particularly beautiful out at UBC campus. As previously explained, Vancouver and for hundreds and hundreds of miles around, the forests in the mountains are entirely evergreen - cedar, pine, fir, hemlock, spruce, etc.

Temperature-wise you'll find Vancouver cold at first, compared to anywhere in Australia, but just wear the proper clothing. I wouldn't wear a wool coat and a sweater in a Melbourne summer, so you shouldn't wear just a t-shirt, shorts and sandals in a Vancouver autumn. Throughout the winter, it is quite rare that the temperate goes below freezing. 5 degrees Celsius is considered a normal winter temperature for Vancouver. It's just the constant grey skies and the off-and-on drizzle that gets people down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or