U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 09:41 PM

4 posts, read 9,108 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks:

My wife and I are retiring early and looking for a good community in SW Ontario, particularly one where housing is still affordable. We have around $225k to spend on a detached house in a safe, reasonably quiet neighbourhood.

On paper, Welland and surrounds looks promising. Fonthill also comes well recommended, but from the looks of it is beyond our budget. We've never visited either place.

We're looking for any suggestions / advice /warnings at all on the Niagara area generally, and Welland in particular.

Many thanks.

Lee

P.S. Weather is not an issue at all. We're much more keen to avoid partying students and other noise pollution...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 05:42 PM

8 posts, read 22,691 times
I can't give you any info on Welland since I am in Grimsby (50kms east of Welland) but I can tell you I love the Niagara Peninsula. It's beautiful and peaceful. Good luck with your decision and I hope you'll get some answers.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:41 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,420,472 times
You say weather is not a concern, so I assume that you're aware that Welland is in a "snow-belt" area which can receive significantly greater snowfall amounts than areas 30 miles down the road?

The entire Niagara Peninsula has an abundance of natural beauty, but I would suggest you check local real estate prices to see if your expectations are in line with your budget.

REALTOR.ca - Welcome

Old 01-09-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfox2 View Post
I can't give you any info on Welland since I am in Grimsby (50kms east of Welland) but I can tell you I love the Niagara Peninsula. It's beautiful and peaceful. Good luck with your decision and I hope you'll get some answers.

We've heard / read good things about Grimsby as well, and being closer to the lake would be nice.

Two issues, though. First, it looks like $225k wouldn't go as far there. Second, the Escarpment, which apparently has the effect of shortening days in the winter as the sun drops behind it early for that part of the lakeshore compared to up on the Escarpment itself. But what I don't know is the time difference--i.e., does dusk arrive 15 minutes, or an hour, earlier. If 15 minutes, it doesn't sound like it would be that big of a hurdle...

Thanks for the overall Niagara report!

Old 01-09-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
You say weather is not a concern, so I assume that you're aware that Welland is in a "snow-belt" area which can receive significantly greater snowfall amounts than areas 30 miles down the road?

Snow itself is not really an issue for us. A community (or country--see U.K., current) that's not prepared for snow would be a different story. That's not going to be the case anywhere in Ontario. Except in the worst of the worst storms, power stays on and roads are plowed. Life goes on.

We spent many a winter in Vancouver. As many attributes as the city and lower B.C. have, leaden winter skies and (one year) 28 straight days of rain make shovelling your driveway and enjoying the rest of a bright snowy day an easy trade to make. Riding the Seabus across the inlet from North Van to Vancouver in February was like being an extra in a zombie movie. A shell-shocked-zombies-on-Prozac movie.

So if winter snow amounts are keeping realty prices lower in one town vs. another one a short distance away, but both towns are otherwise equivalent, yeah, we'd probably go for the snow.

Quote:
The entire Niagara Peninsula has an abundance of natural beauty, but I would suggest you check local real estate prices to see if your expectations are in line with your budget.

We're on it.

The difficulty comes in not knowing which part of a given town to avoid. $225K will buy a detached house in many Niagara towns according to online realty listings. But without reliable local information, we don't know whether these houses are in neighbourhoods high in meth labs, party noise, biker gangs, etc.

(We were once shown a bargain-priced house in Nova Scotia that seemed too good to be true. We found out why when we took a couple of extra minutes to drive over a nearby hill: there sat a huge intensive chicken farm, the malodorous effluent from which no one wanted to live near. Did the realtor tell us? Of course not.)

Fonthill, so far, seems to be the most consistently recommended, but (surprise!) this means it's also more expensive.

Cheers.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,239 times
check out ridgeway!

my family lives in Ridgeway (fort erie). It's a wonderful place to live. Ridgeway has a bustling downtown, home to the botique movie theatre, cafes, specialty shops and a vibrant farmers market in the summer. Ridgeway and Fort Erie have great parks and pretty beaches too! I believe the housing costs in Fort Erie are even to less thn Welland. Ridgeway is up and coming.

i've lived in welland and apreciate the authenticity of neighbourhoods on the "east side".
welland has little snow accumulation.

Good Luck!

Old 05-01-2010, 10:42 AM

87 posts, read 356,347 times
I was actually in the Welland/ St. Catharines area this weekend.

Loved it. Sucha a different feel than living in Toronto.
Might even move there at some point in the future.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:03 AM

FYI folks, we've extensively toured and moved to the Niagara Region, but not Welland.

For anyone considering Welland, two words: Don't bother.

Is it the worst, most miserably decaying rust-belt town we've seen? No. But it ranks.

A further FYI: The entire Niagara Region seems to be home to an endless parade of Harley riders who are too cool for mufflers. It's straight pipes all the way. This goes for 20-y.o. skinheads as well as 60-y.o. wannabees. Can't wait for the snow to shut the sh*ts down.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:06 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,559,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Skinny View Post
FYI folks, we've extensively toured and moved to the Niagara Region, but not Welland.

For anyone considering Welland, two words: Don't bother.

Is it the worst, most miserably decaying rust-belt town we've seen? No. But it ranks.

A further FYI: The entire Niagara Region seems to be home to an endless parade of Harley riders who are too cool for mufflers. It's straight pipes all the way. This goes for 20-y.o. skinheads as well as 60-y.o. wannabees. Can't wait for the snow to shut the sh*ts down.
So, where did you move too. If I had seen this thread earlier I would have advised St. Catherines. Lived there for 20 years and just loved it. It's still affordable and my wife and I are going to move back soon. Niagara falls would be my second pick. Anywhere else in the region is just too rural for me. NOTL is nice but the people there seem to go into St Kitts every day anyway for one reason or another. This might seem crazy to many but I really like Hamilton a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or