U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:38 AM

65 posts, read 49,776 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have read this site for a couple of days to get info, but nothing is exact to my situation. I am planning my first trip to Canada. I am trying to decide between Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal. Let me explain what I'm looking for to get the best advice....

Size is an issue. I am looking for a city that feels large. Big city/metro population, want a large feeling on street level and walkability with loads of energy on the street. Very good musuems, restaurants, nightlife and overall enetertainment to be top notch.

I think this describes Toronto the best, but not sure? Overall in a nut shell, more of a world class city. I am looking for a Canadian version of NYC or Chicago.

Last edited by DC26; 01-26-2010 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 08:21 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC26 View Post
Hello,

I have read this site for a couple of days to get info, but nothing is exact to my situation. I am planning my first trip to Canada. I am trying to decide between Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal. Let me explain what I'm looking for to get the best advice....

Size is an issue. I am looking for a city that feels large. Big city/metro population, want a large feeling on street level and walkability with loads of energy on the street. Very good musuems, restaurants, nightlife and overall enetertainment to be top notch.

I think this describes Toronto the best, but not sure? Overall in a nut shell, more of a world class city. I am looking for a Canadian version of NYC or Chicago.
A Canadian version of NYC or Chicago is not necessarily the same as "a large feeling on street level and walkability with loads of energy on the street. Very good musuems, restaurants, nightlife and overall enetertainment".

Certainly, skyscraper-wise and bigness-wise, Toronto is the closest thing to NYC or Chicago in Canada.

But as far as on-street vibrancy and urban energy is concerned, most people would agree that Montreal (about 75% of Toronto's size) is probably where you want to be.

Vancouver is an attractive city as well, though if you are in DC (as your name suggests), it's a whole other ball game as far as transportation costs are concerned.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:23 PM

519 posts, read 722,031 times
Neither.......For a mix of all the three, I say choose the capital....Ottawa.

Trust me...Ottawa has everything the 3 cities combined do not and then some more.

* The Museums are the finest and world class.

* Downtown is really cool

* Best winter city by far especially if you like ice skating

*If you feel overwhelmed, Ottawa also has a very laid back town feel which is 15 minutes ride away from Downtown

*Cheaper than all the other 3

*A major airport hub(international)

Old 10-01-2010, 02:45 PM

705 posts, read 1,631,237 times
It you can only go to one of them, definitely Montreal.
Toronto would be the least worthy of your time among the three you mentioned IMO.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:47 PM

705 posts, read 1,631,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post

Trust me...Ottawa has everything the 3 cities combined do not and then some more.

*If you feel overwhelmed, Ottawa also has a very laid back town feel which is 15 minutes ride away from Downtown

I am actually going to Ottawa in a few days. Could you recommend a few places to see besides Parliament Hill? I would have probably a whole day (include a night) in Ottawa.
Thanks.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:51 PM

1,655 posts, read 5,219,387 times
Montreal.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:46 AM

24 posts, read 80,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post

I strongly disagree with your post, my good sir.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:10 AM

793 posts, read 1,190,722 times
I guess the closest comparison to Chicago or NYC would be Toronto, but the target city you have in mind really is more complicated than that.

Toronto has a more cavernous feeling similar to Chicago and a decent downtown street vibrancy. With that being said Montreal while being smaller is more walkable and strikingly more vibrant at street level (and more interesting architecture wise) than Toronto. The nightlife in Montreal is also more active as well.

When it comes to the Arts and Culture Montreal also comes out ahead. The breaking point in the end is the restaurant scene. Both Montreal and Vancouver offer more vibrant and creative eating options than Toronto. Yes Toronto has a decent amount of variety due to the large amount of immigrants, but the restaurant scene is very mediocre and boring if you are looking for something cutting edge or creative. There is also a greater food culture in general and respect for food in Montreal.

In the end Montreal would come out on top for me.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:03 AM

78 posts, read 252,113 times
If you're going to Montreal, make sure you take a day trip (or more) to Quebec City. For someone who's going to Quebec for the first time, it's a must.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:14 AM

3,044 posts, read 4,012,148 times
Default A Canadian version of Ch. or NY? Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps7028 View Post
If you're going to Montreal, make sure you take a day trip (or more) to Quebec City. For someone who's going to Quebec for the first time, it's a must.
Montreal is more user friendly than Toronto if you have a sense of adventure. Save Vancouver for skiing, salmon fishing, and the outdoors. If your interest is interacting with people I'd take either Toronto or Montreal, but for a first trip to Canada: la belle province.

note: I love Ottawa for Hull and the Museum of Man but Pierre Trudeau always went home for the weekend to Montreal. And so did everybody else!

Last edited by thedwightguy; 10-02-2010 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or