Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Regina or Winnipeg
Regina 4 57.14%
Winnipeg 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 08:15 PM

495 posts, read 610,868 times

Advertisements

Winnipeg is a unique gem of a Canadian city. It is rich in singer songwriters (the weakerthans, wailing Jenny's, burton cummings, randy Backman and the guess who, Venetian snares, crash test dummies, the mongrels (this is an oldie from the long lost days of eagle records)

The city also has unique subcultures: Icelandic settlers in Gimli, Metis and french in st Boniface, Mennonites and Hutterites (known as Manitoba Dutch

The city crosses 2 rivers joined at the Forks (red river and Assiniboine) and water taxis run through it

Lots of cultural Fests ...folklorama, fringe fest, winnipeg folk fest

Indie concerts at west end cultural centre

CN Railroad history

Freemasonry

Victorian Art "Dalnavert museum"

Labour history

Ukrainian and Polish farmers

Poppie seeds and yellow canola fields

UM has a great agricultural engineering school

Osborne District Rocks at night

Winnipeg's Exchange District rocks during the day

Farmers markets
Elms
Lakes and parkland

I love Winnipeg...and the MTS centre and the NHL Jets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 08:23 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
UM has a great agricultural engineering school
UM has a large and beautiful campus and is a school with great faculty and students. The univ is a part of the city that stayed with me long after my first visit.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:38 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Its nice to read some positive comments about Winnipeg.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:50 PM

564 posts, read 1,040,104 times
Ah, Winnipeg. Reminds me of this shot from an episode of The Simpsons:

Old 11-18-2014, 11:51 PM

909 posts, read 1,152,832 times
Winnipeg will always have a special place in my heart considering I was born there and it's my childhood hometown where I lived for 10 years. I love all the lakes and parks nearby and of course The Forks.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:24 AM

81 posts, read 154,636 times
IMO winnipeg is not a very interesting city with any sort of unique culture. There's really nothing there that can't be found anywhere else in North America. recently an IKEA opened and the city treated it like a big cultural event...I think that speaks for itself. BUT what I do appreciate from the city is the sort of "no frills" vibe where everyone is satisfied with what they have (it's alot less pretentious than Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, etc.) in a way it's the "most canadian" city there is. oh and sometimes it's colder than Mars

again this is just my own opinion so feel free to think otherwise. To each his own.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,738 times
I know this is an old thread; however, as a Texan from Texas, I thought I'd chime in...

I've bounced across North America: while working my way through college, I drove long-haul tractor-trailers across 47 states and three provinces. I saw LOTS of ON and QC, and went to BC a few times (and man, they aren't kidding when they call it "Beautiful British Columbia"!). I really, really dig Canada: I haven't been back since I graduated, but I'd love to visit again.

The only part of Canada I've never really experienced is the Prairies: I know all about AB (thanks to all my buddies in the oil bidness who seem to be heading to Edmonton every week!); however, all I know is that they're COLD. Like, BRUTALLY COLD. I've seen cold weather in ON, but there are lots of parts of the US that get colder than Eastern Canada. OP (if you're still reading this), like me you're from Texas: unless you're from up in the Panhandle, you don't know ANYTHING about cold weather. It's the evening of November 27th, and here in Houston it's a chilly 50F/10C. That's winter weather here; however, the entire rest of North America thinks we're pansies for complaining about it!

I've heard that Saskatoon is pretty and Winnipeg is a cool place, but take it from a guy that drove three winters across the rest of North America: you don't know cold, BRUTAL COLD, until you've been in it!!

Old 11-27-2014, 07:21 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Winterpeg

Old 11-28-2014, 10:47 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisamazing View Post
I know this is an old thread; however, as a Texan from Texas, I thought I'd chime in...

I've bounced across North America: while working my way through college, I drove long-haul tractor-trailers across 47 states and three provinces. I saw LOTS of ON and QC, and went to BC a few times (and man, they aren't kidding when they call it "Beautiful British Columbia"!). I really, really dig Canada: I haven't been back since I graduated, but I'd love to visit again.

The only part of Canada I've never really experienced is the Prairies: I know all about AB (thanks to all my buddies in the oil bidness who seem to be heading to Edmonton every week!); however, all I know is that they're COLD. Like, BRUTALLY COLD. I've seen cold weather in ON, but there are lots of parts of the US that get colder than Eastern Canada. OP (if you're still reading this), like me you're from Texas: unless you're from up in the Panhandle, you don't know ANYTHING about cold weather. It's the evening of November 27th, and here in Houston it's a chilly 50F/10C. That's winter weather here; however, the entire rest of North America thinks we're pansies for complaining about it!

I've heard that Saskatoon is pretty and Winnipeg is a cool place, but take it from a guy that drove three winters across the rest of North America: you don't know cold, BRUTAL COLD, until you've been in it!!
But it's a dry cold.

Okay, that's cold comfort some days but I think I'd rather live with -40 than have the snow that eastern parts get. We just don't get that here. Our snow is a light powder. You can't even usually make a decent snowball out of it, there's not enough moisture in it. And I've lived in places with mild-by-Manitoba standards and wet cold, and I was really, really cold. I could never warm up. And I wouldn't have believed that if I hadn't lived through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada