U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-23-2010, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Tennessee/Michigan
28,235 posts, read 47,693,105 times
Reputation: 19747

Advertisements

OTTAWA, Feb. 23 (UPI) -- Life expectancy in Canada rose to 80.7 years from 80.5 years from 2005 to 2007, Statistics Canada reported from Ottawa Tuesday.

The overall gain was significant compared with an average of 78.4 years from 1995 to 1997, but was most pronounced among men, the agency said.

Canadian life expectancy up to 80.7 years - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2010, 07:24 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,628 posts, read 13,919,703 times
Reputation: 2770
Maybe another good case for Universal Health Care.....here in the US. Some of us keep bringing up the Quality of life , financial stability, home values , and low crime rate that Canada has , as an example , to follow ....but no one wants to hear it...or listen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2010, 08:03 PM
 
65 posts, read 221,730 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Maybe another good case for Universal Health Care.....here in the US. Some of us keep bringing up the Quality of life , financial stability, home values , and low crime rate that Canada has , as an example , to follow ....but no one wants to hear it...or listen.
IT has nothing to do with healthcare. The United States has a huge under class of poor people compared to Canada which drags its life expectancy down.

I'm sure if all of the southeastern states suddently dissapeared the life expectancy in the U.S. would probably just by 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2010, 11:40 PM
 
4,285 posts, read 14,442,983 times
Reputation: 3867
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
OTTAWA, Feb. 23 (UPI) -- Life expectancy in Canada rose to 80.7 years from 80.5 years from 2005 to 2007, Statistics Canada reported from Ottawa Tuesday.

The overall gain was significant compared with an average of 78.4 years from 1995 to 1997, but was most pronounced among men, the agency said.

Canadian life expectancy up to 80.7 years - UPI.com


Awww, crap!

Another damn government plot designed to extract more tax dollars from my pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2010, 11:16 AM
 
3,060 posts, read 7,173,314 times
Reputation: 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by skifan77 View Post
IT has nothing to do with healthcare. The United States has a huge under class of poor people compared to Canada which drags its life expectancy down.
If healthcare has nothing to do with it then it is an incredible coincidence that the countries in the world with the highest life expectances correlate almost exactly to the countries with the highest rated medical systems in the world. Most, if not all, of which are universal healthcare systems.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ctbook.svg.png

The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems

Where poverty is concerned, universal healthcare in a poorer country (e.g. Greece) makes all the difference. I think we could give Greece a few points for the Mediterranean diet, but even looking at deaths from preventable diseases that people get and die from (e.g. the Greeks that don't eat as healthy and get said diseases), it is evident that access to proper healthcare for everyone, regardless of socio-economic status, makes a huge difference - as they get the medical care needed.

Preventable Deaths for selected countries, 1997-1998 and 2002-2003, issued 2008
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top