U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:09 AM

146 posts, read 399,810 times

Advertisements

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but I just want to make sure I have this right. From what I read here about the Canada Child Tax Benefit, parents of a certain income level can receive monthly tax free benefit checks from the government to help raise their children. Using the calculator with general numbers I calculated that if we lived in Canada we could receive over $200 a month in benefits. Is this right? It just seems so wonderful that Canada would take care of it's families this way. Between this and the maternity benefit, there must be many women in Canada who can stay home with their young children.

If anyone can comment on how this system works I'd love to hear about it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 08:13 AM

705 posts, read 1,632,703 times
I think before having several children, the parents should consider if they can afford to to begin with, rather than relying on other tax payers' money to subsidize them. Why should a couple opting not to have kids subsidize those low income family who nevertheless choose to have 6 children they can't afford to raise? To subsidize the old and the handicapped, I support. But this, I don't. Parents should all be financially capable to have the number of the kids they want.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:42 AM

I don't think this is just a welfare program for irresponsible parenting. I was thinking it was something more akin to the Swiss system where you get about $200 a month per child just because that is the right think for a caring government to do. In the Swiss case I believe it helps pay for their mandatory health care premiums, plus other care.

I think the UK and France have similar systems.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:22 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,161,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogcreekwoods View Post
This is going to sound like a stupid question, but I just want to make sure I have this right. From what I read here about the Canada Child Tax Benefit, parents of a certain income level can receive monthly tax free benefit checks from the government to help raise their children. Using the calculator with general numbers I calculated that if we lived in Canada we could receive over $200 a month in benefits. Is this right? It just seems so wonderful that Canada would take care of it's families this way. Between this and the maternity benefit, there must be many women in Canada who can stay home with their young children.

If anyone can comment on how this system works I'd love to hear about it....
Well bascially depending on your income and the number of children you have, you get a monthly cheque called the Child Tax Benefit (there is also the GST rebate which is quarterly). In addition to the federal one, some provinces (e.g. Quebec) supplement it even further.

It's nice, but all depends on how you look at it, at the end of the day it is just the government giving you back some of your own money - part of what you have paid them in tax!

The 12 months maternity leave (actually parental leave, as parents can split it) IS wonderful - but it is a leave, so you are supposed to go back to work after the 12 months are up!

Old 03-01-2010, 06:25 AM

Is the Child Tax Benefit looked upon unfavorably, like "welfare" is in the US?

Personally I'm okay with wealth redistribution - we could use a whole lot more of it in the US.

I know Canadians tend to think they are taxed very highly, but really, for what you get, and in comparison to what we pay in the states and what we get, I think the Canadians make out better. But 'better' to me is more people being in the middle class.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:27 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,161,659 times
Quote:
Not at all - it is a tax credit - so in other words it isn't a handout - if you haven't paid taxes you don't get it - it is a return of some of the tax you have already paid and is income based - just as the more you earn the more tax you pay, the less you earn the more of the tax you have paid in you would get back with the Child Tax Credit.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:06 AM

Great - thank you!

Old 03-01-2010, 11:12 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Quote:
Generally speaking, there is no "shame" associated with receiving any public benefit in Canada that anyone who works is eligible for.

But welfare for the non-working is stigmatized in Canada much the same way it is in the U.S.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,576 times
Hey i just visit a website thenba.ca, related to same topic i.e. disability benefit in Canada, and find it good and full of information.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:37 PM

4,249 posts, read 8,142,796 times
Yes, this little-known outside of Canada benefit helps in raising kids. It probably has more weight in a family's monthly budget outside of metropolitan areas, or in places with depressed employment.

Personally, we had kids without the benefit of maternity leave for me, (I had out-of-Canada job experience in the few years prior, so was not eligible), so that child benefit helped us a great deal, while I was staying at home with the kids. Now that I'm working, it has less weight in the budget, but is a help nevertheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or