U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 02:31 PM

14 posts, read 51,477 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving to Canada, preferably either Vancouver or Victoria, and I've asked questions about Vancouver but haven't asked any about Victoria. So, here are my questions

Is Victoria a clean city?
Are most of the people in Victoria nice?
Smart?
Is it expensive to live in Victoria?
Is it interesting or boring?
How's crime in Victoria?
Is Victoria a safe city?
Is there much to do in Victoria?
Are there a lot of godless folks in Victoria?
Are most of the people in Victoria liberal or conservative?
Is it difficult for an American to get a good job in Victoria?
Is it difficult to find a job opening for university professor?

I know, a lot of questions. I'd be very appreciative to anyone who answers any of these questions. So, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 03:41 PM

1,049 posts, read 5,845,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoreticChaos View Post
I'm planning on moving to Canada, preferably either Vancouver or Victoria, and I've asked questions about Vancouver but haven't asked any about Victoria. So, here are my questions

Smart?
How's crime in Victoria?
Is Victoria a safe city?

I know, a lot of questions. I'd be very appreciative to anyone who answers any of these questions. So, thanks.
It's a lot of questions, but assuming you're a university professor, I'll assume that you have research skills. Haven't you done your own research on Victoria so far? What have you found out about Victoria? What do you know about Victoria? I mean, most of your questions can be easily answered by doing simple Google searches. I assume you've done at least that much. Am I right?

It would also be helpful for you to provide a bit of information about yourself and your perspective so we can better answer these questions.

A lot of these questions are also too vague.

Is it safe? Yes. Safe compared to what though? Crime stats are available everywhere. Violence is rare in Victoria but property crime would be more of an issue. How much of an issue? Well, it's negligable, and it would depend on what you're used to. Typically though safety's one of the last things to worry about in and around Victoria.

Difficult to get a good job? Only if you're not qualified, I suppose. It also depends on the industry you're trying to get into. Seeing how I'm not an American and I'm not qualified to gain entry into a university as a prof, I have no idea. It would depend on the faculty and the demand for such professors. Knowing what I know about universities, I'd say it's possible but definitely no easy walk in the park...

... unless you're in demand and you're qualified.

Are people liberal or conservative? What an American-centric way to look at Canadian politics. Drop your American political dichotomy at the door. This is Canada. Any quick search on political ridings on Vancouver Island will show that Liberal, Green, and NDP are much more relevant in Vicotoria than the Conservative Party. Or maybe you meant liberal/conservative in the other way. Well, socially Victoria can be conservative (they're not boisterous people). They're certainly open minded to alternative lifestyles and the like. It's certainly a hotbed of hippy, back-to-nature, yoga, new age, vegetarian, health-conscious culture.

Is Victoria interesting? Sure! Boring? Sure! But it depends on what you're seeking and what you're comparing it to. Victoria's sleepy next to New York and big city to somebody from Wyoming.

Come on, provide us with a little hint that you've done at least some preliminary research, and give us a little bit more to work with. Don't make us do all the work for you.

Also, what the heck are "godless folk"? People who don't care about religion one way or another? As a general rule of thumb, religion doesn't play a prominent role in the lives of Canadians as it does to the average American in the US. It's more of a private matter here. You could say "live and let live" is the typical mantra in Victoria and along BC's west coast. Religion plays little in everyday life here, although there are churches and synagogues and mosques and temples what have you for those who practice religion. Nobody will care what religion you practice... again, it's an inclusive mentality. Live and let live. Believe in what you want to believe in.

Last edited by Robynator; 03-01-2010 at 03:58 PM..

Old 03-01-2010, 03:55 PM

7,244 posts, read 6,585,166 times
Robynator, this person claims to be a young student in school in the states, has asked the same questions elsewhere on the board about Vancouver and Seattle and been answered. I think maybe the questions being asked are for research for a school project.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:59 PM

1,049 posts, read 5,845,806 times
Thanks Zoisite! I've been out of the loop with the Olympics and all.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:07 PM

7,244 posts, read 6,585,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoreticChaos View Post

Smart?
How's crime in Victoria?
Is Victoria a safe city?

You asked these same questions in the Seattle forum when you said you wanted to move there, the answers you got for Seattle are the same as for Victoria.

re: Is it difficult for an American to get a good job in Victoria? Only if you have not become a Canadian citizen or have not gained permanent residency status.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:28 PM

14 posts, read 51,477 times
I'm a junior in high school and I plan to move to either Canada or Seattle when I graduate. I also have searched on google for hours but haven't found any clear answers to my questions. Anyway, thanks for the answers so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada