U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:35 PM

6 posts, read 6,456 times

Advertisements

Here's my situation. I recently graduated university, and have become bored of the city I live in. I have work experience already. My girlfriend has another year to go before she graduates. I am considering renting an apartment until next year as opposed to buying a house (currently live with parents), with the intention of relocating. Now i'm not so sure - maybe I should buy a house - I enjoy the outdoors - a lifestyle which outweighs the nonexistent city life where I live. Now i'm beginning to think I should stay, buy a house and just rely on vacations to get my fill of new sights and sounds. I looked at the prices of apartments in bigger cities (particularly ottawa and some in vancouver) and found out they are more expensive than what I was hoping for considering what you get.
Has anyone else been in this situation - small town or big move?
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 03:39 PM

10 posts, read 34,462 times
Ottawa is boring dont come here on top of which it is a French city so that will limit your job scope

Old 03-07-2010, 05:02 PM

That's a valid point, thank you I appreciate your response.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:40 PM

1,049 posts, read 5,849,129 times
Where do you live now? It helps so we have some perspective.

Ottawa's not French, it's bilingual - French and English.

Also, what draws you to Ottawa and Vancouver? Those cities are so different, they may as well be in different countries. They offer completely different lifestyles.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:03 PM

You're right, they are a world apart, but I have family in both these cities so it helps.
I live in Thunder Bay. It's weird spending your whole life feeling like you cant wait until the day you can leave your small town, and when it finally comes you're really not sure what to do. Ottawa is a great city, unfortunately many of the job requirements include being bilingual. I hate to bash my hometown, it is a good place to live overall, but I feel like i've done everything there is to do more than twice.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:06 AM

21,961 posts, read 27,397,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawan View Post
Ottawa is boring dont come here on top of which it is a French city so that will limit your job scope
Ottawa is not a French city. It is in fact a predominantly English-speaking city though knowing French is also a huge asset (particularly for government jobs).

Note that most of the private sector in Ottawa functions predominantly (and in many cases almost exclusively) in English.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:32 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,547,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd515 View Post
You're right, they are a world apart, but I have family in both these cities so it helps.
I live in Thunder Bay. It's weird spending your whole life feeling like you cant wait until the day you can leave your small town, and when it finally comes you're really not sure what to do. Ottawa is a great city, unfortunately many of the job requirements include being bilingual. I hate to bash my hometown, it is a good place to live overall, but I feel like i've done everything there is to do more than twice.
I take it you are a relatively young person and young people almost always get bored and can't wait to leave their home towns. You don't say what you degree is in or what work experience you have, but the time to make moves is when you are young, before you have a mortgage and kids to worry about.

I currently live in a rural area and young people are always leaving but an awful lot of them end up returning at some point. There's nothing wrong with that and sometimes causes them to appreciate what they thought they never wanted to see again.

It's better to take a chance, then to spend the rest of your life regretting the chances you didn't take, imho.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:38 PM

thanks, exactly what i wanted to hear and what i was thinking. I'm 25 with a diploma in social work, degree in psychology and almost 5 years experience working with young offenders. I'm looking for new experiences and I think this is the time to do it, unfortunately this also means renting an apartment for a year while waiting for my significant other to finish her school, there's not really a way around that. I have been to all major cities east of quebec and have to say ottawa is the best. Not only is it the cleanest place i've ever been, the people are friendly and it feels like a community, not a big city.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:16 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,166,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawan View Post
Really? Have the "French" landed? I thought it was a Canadian city. Lots of Canadian francophones and anglophones. But the French have invaded. Scary!

Old 03-10-2010, 07:09 AM

21,961 posts, read 27,397,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Really? Have the "French" landed? I thought it was a Canadian city. Lots of Canadian francophones and anglophones. But the French have invaded. Scary!
Well, the dining scene has improved greatly and people on the streets are way better dressed! But watch out for the dog poop on the sidewalks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada