Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:09 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,404,361 times

Advertisements

No. Don't do it. Why? It's not right. It's also illegal, and you will get banned from the country. Bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 10:40 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,860,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
They do. Almost every single Aussie backpacker working in a Canadian ski resort has a temporary working visa which allows them to work legally in Canada for one year. Aussie backpackers with legal work permits are a dime a dozen in Canada. Ski resorts wouldn't hire illegal workers when they can choose from the thousands of legal workers that have their proper paperwork.
Okay- things must have changed from when my dear was there, a 'few' years ago.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:46 PM

355 posts, read 2,369,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
In another few words, you'll find that if you don't have a Canadian Social Insurance Number, nobody will hire you anyway.

From personal experience, I can say Robynator's statement is quite accurate.

I've been going over job announcements for a couple of months now in preparation for my move to Canada (waiting on my immigration papers). I've noticed that most job ads say something to the effect of "In accordance with Canadian immigration laws, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given a priority". That is something you would not see in the US. In my last two jobs in the US I received the offer, got hired, and on my first day on the job the human resources department asked me to show them my work authorization. It was actually a few days until everything was checked and I was confirmed in that position, but in the meantime, I worked full time, was issued a computer account and an ID card, got my office keys, etc. It seems to be that immigration status is one of the last things they ask about, maybe to prevent applicants from claiming discrimination based on national origin.

I tried to apply online for a few positions in Canada, and the places I tried (UVic being one) asked upfront if I was authorized to work in Canada. Although I could register (i.e., create an account) with them, when I would try to apply for a specific position I would get a message saying something along the lines of "Please try again when your status changes and you are allowed to work in Canada". As I said, very different from the US.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:12 AM

2 posts, read 6,783 times
Thanks so much, this is all really helpful.
I think might go over on a holday visa(6 mth temp resident) with a return flight booked for a few weeks after i arrive. I've been looking into it and I can apply to change my status while I'm there, it's quicker than waiting this end.It's illegal to work while the application is being processed so that's the sticky point. Not sure how to get arround that one. I have a Canadian SIN from my last stay a few months ago so this might help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada