Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 07:46 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times

Advertisements

Newfie: An affectionate term for a native of the province of Newfoundland.

Newfie jokes abound, some of the best ones told by Newfoundlanders themselves. For example:

Four Newfies were driving in their pick up truck; three in the cab and one in the back. As the truck approached a bridge over a small canal, the driver lost control and the truck went off the bridge into the water. Good fortune intervened into a desperate situation as the 3 men in the cab managed to get the doors open and swim safely to shore. Sadly, the man in back drowned when he was unable to get the tailgate down.

In reality, the people of Newfoundland have a well-deserved reputation for being the friendliest and most hospitable in the country. Historically, the Newfoundland economy hasn't been strong, and fishing woes on the Grand Banks have strained things further, but Newfies are famous for cheerfully sharing whatever they have.

Shortly after the true horror of 9/11 was realized, the American government closed US airspace to all incoming aircraft. This left many planes en route from Europe desperately searching for a place to land before they ran out of fuel. A signifigant number of those aircraft landed in St. John's, Newfoundland.

With a couple of thousand unexpected guests arriving, the Newfoundland government sprang into action with the standard Canadian disaster relief plan; they opened the Mile One Center hockey arena as a disaster shelter.

When the citizens of St. Johns heard that many unfortunate travellors, mostly Americans, were destined to spend a couple of days at the rink, many residents of the capital drove down to the arena and offered to take individuals to their homes as an alternative. The result was very few stranded travellors having to spend their time in the shelter.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:50 PM

75 posts, read 347,827 times
Thanks for the education, and the laugh. I drove through Canada when I was a kid on our way to Alaska. I hope to visit Canada again one day. I didn't go through Newfoundland of course, but I hear it is lovely.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:33 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Two things I learned about Canada when I was cross-border trucking; the province names are two-lettered, just like the U.S. (and none duplicate U.S. states) and Tim Horton's has the best coffee in North America! (I believe the two-letter province abbreviations probably came about due to some international postal agreement) Cornerguy, I actually heard "Newfie" jokes when I was in Canada; thanks for the memories! Ya know how you recognize the Canadians in a U.S. city? They're the ones that actually wait for the "WALK" signal at a street corner!

Say, whatever happened to Bob n' Doug Mackenzie?

Old 06-15-2007, 11:21 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Canada's favourite touque-wearing, back bacon-eating, beer-swilling brothers recently made a return to the small screen when CBC aired Bob and Doug's 2-4 Anniversary on May 20.

The tribute show was in honour of the 24th anniversay of the siblings' big screen debut in Strange Brew.

The characters, played by actors Rick Moranis, (Honey I Shrunk the Kids) and Dave Thomas, (Grace Under Fire), startlingly shot to fame in the early 80s after appearing in a 2-minute skit on the late night comedy show SCTV. The skit was originally designed to poke fun at Canadian content rules on Canadian television, but the MacKenzie brother's penchant for beer-drinking and ending every sentence with "eh" struck a chord with viewers.

So, from the Great White North: Good day, eh!

Old 06-16-2007, 08:33 AM

48 posts, read 166,560 times
Canadian and Americans are a lot the same in some ways and very different in others. I have been in Canada for 3 1/2 years now. People are pretty friendly, but in the smaller towns it takes them a bit to warm up to new blood in the neighbourhood.

Rednecks are everywhere you go. You can not escape them. AND we all probably have 1-2 in our own family that is a redneck. I think I have well established redneck roots! lol

We went to Niagra Falls 3 years ago and on the Canadian side I found the Americans were pretty rude there. All the other Americans I have come across in Canada haven't been that way, but for some reason they were just plain rude there.

I do know that when my family comes here from the States they feel uncomfortable because its not AMERICA. There is nothing different here, the scene is more beautiful, except for the fact there are no mountains where I live now. It is hard wired into people that America is the best place in the world and why would we ever need to leave here.

That is true it is a very nice place, but there are many other nice/nicer places in the world. I am American so I know this is hard wired into us.

Now Canadians have harsher gun laws, but look at Toronto. They seem to be having shootings all the time. Now keep in mind that Toronto is the largest Canadian city. Regardless of the gun control they have them everywhere you go.

In The Statest you are tought that people are bad not guns. In Canada they teach them very young that guns are bad.

Big difference there.

It is all a matter of what you are comfortable with. Americans think that Canadians should be more like them and Canadians think Americans should be more like them. I think the Americans could learn a little more from the Canadians, being an American... I have learned a lot in the last 3 1/2 years.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:52 PM

177 posts, read 613,945 times
Obira_an makes some great points.

When I first met my dear friend from Toronto, the first thing she said was "are you an arrogant American?" I responded, "what do they look like?" She never brought that up again. I was as interested in her culture and experiences as she was with mine. But honestly, I think there is complexity within the societies of each country that neither of us understand about oneanother.

I mean, I look at the vast differences between the Southeast and the Southwest, and their causes...that's astounding. Then I look at the West coast with its roots of mining and exploration. That's attracts a certain type of person, and a lot of times develops a mentality that is somewhat common in many people of that area. The industry, Hollywood, creates a culture that causes many people to see LA as being superficial. Here in the South, the Civil War is still having an affect on many states. So we areplaying catch-up in many ways to the East coast. The East Coast is the launching pad of America. It's the capital region (hope I don't anger any fellow Americans). The majority of the major/influential/cornerstone cities are there. Big business and government THRIVES there, and spreads itself across the rest of America. Then you have the Midwest. Farm people. Makes for a whole different set of people and way of thinking.

People so quickly want to say Americans are arrogant and stuck up. And yeah, we are in a way. But I don't think the majority of people mean to be. It's actually hard enough trying to make sense of this enormous conglomerate known as the USA. Let alone another country. Not trying to sound insensitive or anything. I think you should always try to understand what's going on in the other neck of the woods. But I think people from other countries are quick to make assumptions about the US. Then when they get here it's like "Oh...now I see."

Old 06-18-2007, 06:07 PM

31 posts, read 130,703 times
Generally, I have found Canadians to be somewhat easier to make friends with than Americans, but that may just be my personality (perhaps I was born to be Canadian?). I believe part of this is due to the culture in the US that tends to emphasize being independent and the whole wide-open space thing.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:05 AM

19 posts, read 59,897 times
Default Canadian/American

Hey,
I cant believe I am reading this! I honestly thought I was the only one who had noticed this, or thought it was my imagination.
For my part it IS true. I have had a number of canadian friends for the past 30 years and they are clearly and definitely more respectful, kinder, more considerate, intelligent....I could go on and on and they have been from one coast to the other, from Prince Edward Island to Vancouver.
I am very proud to know them and call them my friends.
Rassss

Old 06-22-2007, 10:17 AM

323 posts, read 1,390,829 times
I don't see any difference in my Canadian vs American friends at all. Except that Americans and businesses tend to be a bit more generous.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:27 PM

82 posts, read 619,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Canada's favourite touque-wearing, back bacon-eating, beer-swilling brothers recently made a return to the small screen when CBC aired Bob and Doug's 2-4 Anniversary on May 20.

The tribute show was in honour of the 24th anniversay of the siblings' big screen debut in Strange Brew.

The characters, played by actors Rick Moranis, (Honey I Shrunk the Kids) and Dave Thomas, (Grace Under Fire), startlingly shot to fame in the early 80s after appearing in a 2-minute skit on the late night comedy show SCTV. The skit was originally designed to poke fun at Canadian content rules on Canadian television, but the MacKenzie brother's penchant for beer-drinking and ending every sentence with "eh" struck a chord with viewers.

So, from the Great White North: Good day, eh!

Between this and the mention of Tim Hortons coffee, i am now officially homesick lol. Luckilly, we have friends in Detroit and we recently visited. My precious cargo ( a tin of Timmies finnest) now sits in the fridge awaiting guests and special occasions. Not even scotch gets this kind of treatment in my home !

My father and I once drove three and a half hours out of our way in his 74 roadrunner to see the latest in coffee inovation many years ago. It was the first "Drive Through" time hortons in Nova Scotia!!! I remember being absolutely amazed. Funny thing is, we got our goods from the window, pulled into the parking lot, and went inside to enjoy them !

*sigh* off topic, sorry.

As for Us/Canada who'se friendlier? It's a crock. You'll meet great and horrible examples of both, and part of your experience with them will entirely be determined by YOUR attitude and perhaps your manners and expectations... I've met wonderful and horrid in both countries...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada