Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 08:01 PM

160 posts, read 631,386 times

Advertisements

Hi there -
My husband and I will be in the vicinity in a few weeks. Any recommendations on hotel / B&B in the area? How about restuarants? Also, other than the Falls and nearby wineries - what else is there to do in the area?

Speaking of wineries - any suggestions?

Thank your for any info or advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 09:25 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
What is there to do? Hmmmmm

The main street of Niagara-on-the-Lake is littered with various upscale shops where you can pay twice as much as what something is likely worth.

You can check out the Shaw Festival at Shaw Festival the best of Ontario Theatre to see if something in the live theatre area tweaks your interest.

If history is your thing, you can visit the Brock Monument at Queenston Heights or take a tour of Fort George.

There are plenty of wineries to choose from. I personally favour Peller Estates and Reif Estate. On the other side of the coin, Frogpond Farm certainly had a catchy name and an organic presence, but the product in the bottle was more suited to brush cleaning than sipping. There's a neat map available at http://winesofontario.org/region_niag.php (broken link)

Hotel properties at Niagara-on-the-Lake tend to charge top dollar; there are much better deals available 10 miles down the road in Niagara Falls. That said, the Prince of Wales and the Queen's Landing Inn are both very nice properties.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-28-2010 at 09:37 PM..

Old 04-01-2010, 08:39 AM

11 posts, read 60,465 times
I hope I get the name right, Strauss? winery has to be experienced.

As for accommodations just look for a B+B close to the main street and you'll be fine, I stay at: The Olde Angel Inn | Niagara-on-the-Lake Pub, Restaurant and Live Entertainment

Old 04-28-2010, 06:34 PM

160 posts, read 631,386 times
Thank you for the advice. We had a wonderful trip. Kave - we took your advice and stayed at the Angel Inn. It was great - we walked everywhere and ended each night with a pint! Corner - we did not make it to the wineries you mentioned. However, we went to Jackson and had a personal tour of the place. It was great.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:08 PM

69 posts, read 187,512 times
Iniskillin, hands down. Best icewine around! For accomodations, Princess of Wales, Pillar and Post. Not far up the road is Fort George historical site (just a little past the Shaw Fest venue), right on the water with wonderful views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgirl View Post
Hi there -
My husband and I will be in the vicinity in a few weeks. Any recommendations on hotel / B&B in the area? How about restuarants? Also, other than the Falls and nearby wineries - what else is there to do in the area?

Old 05-04-2010, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgirl View Post

Personally, my favorite is Jackson Triggs. Picturesque as well....

http://www.jacksontriggswinery.com/

(http://www.jacksontriggswinery.com/en/ourWines/awards/index.html - broken link)

Last edited by gateway312; 05-04-2010 at 05:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada