U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 04:23 PM

315 posts, read 1,270,706 times

Advertisements

What is it like living in the country? I have only lived in two very crowded cities.
If you are from a city: Was it a huge adjustment to move to the country?
Plus also is it just too isolating if you are single to live this way?!? I guess it would be interesting to try it out. I like to paint and wonder if others have found happiness as an artist living in the country. Do you ever get together with other artists?

I would think winter has a profound effect on this type of arrangement as well? I would appreciate some opinions/ideas. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 05:55 PM

148 posts, read 795,612 times
Well, I saw this topic a little while back and didn't reply, figuring I'd wait for someone to take the lead so that I could jump in... But now, I just spotted it again at the very bottom of the first page with no replies so I'll take the initiative and offer you something to read since I've noticed your contributions on this board.

That being said, I live in "rural" eastern Ontario depending on your version of what rural is. It would be a small town approximately 30 minutes from Ottawa. Living outside the city is not as bad as some people think it is. Depending on the size of the village/town you live, most of what you need will be available to you, groceries, a few restaurants and a couple fast food joints, banks, parks and the like.

I would not recommend it however, if you do not drive or own a vehicle to get around. Buses aren't going to be helping you around here, although we do have buses that reach the city in the morning and back to home in the evening.

I still take the drive every day to work in Ottawa and it's not so bad depending on where you work. I also attend school in Ottawa in the fall and winter... and I'm not the only one to be driving to Ottawa on a daily basis, many others do.

Living outside the city is definitely a more laid back lifestyle. No heavy traffic and cars moving around the entire day... or homeless people bothering you for change.

I suppose in the end, it all depends what you like and what you are looking for. I believe you mentioned that you are single and live alone. It MIGHT be a bit tough meeting people outside the city, but that also depends on how social you are. Neighbors can be very friendly, and there are always a lot of community events going on here and there, if you get involved, it is a different story.

Hope my comments have helped somewhat. Sorry for the lack of proper grammar and formatting.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:28 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,426,467 times
Default Cazelais, Have I Got the Place For You

Living in a rural setting in south eastern Ontario doesn't necessarily mean one is isolated in the woods with only the bears and black flies for company. It just depends where you go.

In the past you've expressed interest in Kingston and Ottawa, with a slight lean to Kingston because of the milder weather and the increased gardening opportunities. Now you're expressing curiousity about a location out of the city which is artist friendly.

What if I told you there was an area with a mild, (for the region), climate, on the shores of Lake Ontario, 2 hours from Toronto, 3 hours from Ottawa and 4 hours from Montreal? What if this region had an eclectic mix of United Empire Loyalist villages intermixed with tastefully designed new housing? Would it be even better if that area had micro climates mild enough to support a burgeoning wine industry, and an established group of artists ranging from painters to sculptors to musicians to photographers to writers?

Try these 2 web sites to sample the delights of Prince Edward County:

www.pec.on.ca

Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada - a beautiful island adventure!

Old 06-19-2007, 09:09 AM

Thank you Ocuri and Cornerguy1 for your replies. I wouldn't do it without a car, Ocuri, as it would be too limiting. I gather Winter could be a real drag as well. I am not a Winter sports buff but I could take a stab at it. Maybe all I need is a huge back yard with neighboring houses not too close. Where I live now is like the Hitchcock movie "Rear Window". I can see many tenants across the alley. Though there is a good distance.

Cornerguy1, I did look into Prince Edward County. I would have to take a room there for a week or less and catch the vibes. It seems very pricey and it might be a bit conservative and cliquey. I am just not sure. Plus I might want to be closer to Montreal for family reasons. Yet four hour drive is doable. I look at real estate prices too and if I remember correctly it was very expensive around there.

I have seen some incredible prices for country houses in eastern Ontario. Maybe they come with a slew of problems. I am thinking of buying a cheap place in the country and just visit whenever. It might be the way to go. I know these type of places get broken into though. Will have to research that. To be near a lake. (Big sigh) Or right on the lake. I wonder about the climate and if it will bring future flooding. This is a valid worry though another topic.

The best thing to do is to spend time in places that seem good and not
jump into anything. Rent. Get the car, money, and try it out. Ottawa would be a great place to start out too since it is easier to grab a job and place. I have one friend there too. Have to experience these things in Winter since it makes a big difference in how you enjoy a place. Again, Thanks for the imput.

Last edited by cazelais; 06-19-2007 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: missing word

Old 07-02-2007, 10:21 AM

59 posts, read 126,638 times
Do you like to camp? If so the Ottawa Valley is the best. Within an hour of Ottawa there are more than a hundred campsites. There is everything within driving range. You can have suit and tails or beachwear events. There is always something going on whether it is summer or winter..even if you are not into winter sports.
Living outside the cities you can find great buys. I am about 45 min. from Ottawa and rent is about $400. and up for a small house. Less if you want to buy.
Take the time to check everything out. Then decide. Take a drive around. You will be surprised what you can find.
Best of Luck to you.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:18 PM

Thanks Kitty50 for your encouragement. I was starting to think this forum or rural Canada is pretty quiet. Maybe too quiet. I don't know if I can live in the country. I could see myself getting really fed up of it too. In a city you can live in an apt. and let someone else shovel. Or shovel only a few stairs. You can live above someone and let them help heat your apt. I am not into Winter sports. In fact if I never see another Winter again....The rent sounds great! At that price, why buy? Just rent and try it out for a year or two. Well, it sounds good. Though 45 min. drive seems awfully long to get in to Ottawa proper. What with gas prices too. I want to keep it simple. Thanks again.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,174 times
Eastern Ontario is beautiful. Two very pretty villages that are close to the Nation's Capital, Ottawa, are Almonte and Pakenham. Both communities are small, friendly and very active. You can enjoy county and village life at its finest, yet still be very near a major city. (Within a half hour drive.)

Pembroke is a nice city, but it is at least a two hour drive from Ottawa, the largest city in Eastern Ontario.

Kingston is another nice city. You really do need to come for a visit and see for yourself. There are many lovely bed and breakfasts in the area that are friendly and safe for single travelers. I think if you came for a visit you just might be pleasantly surprised with what you will find tucked away in the remotest corners of this area.

For me, winter is the most beautiful time of year in Eastern Ontario. Many homes (including mine) have cozy fireplaces, the snow sparkles like diamonds and there are a lot of fun, winter activities to do, as well.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rencie View Post
Eastern Ontario is beautiful. Two very pretty villages that are close to the Nation's Capital, Ottawa, are Almonte and Pakenham. Both communities are small, friendly and very active. You can enjoy county and village life at its finest, yet still be very near a major city. (Within a half hour drive.)

Pembroke is a nice city, but it is at least a two hour drive from Ottawa, the largest city in Eastern Ontario.

Kingston is another nice city. You really do need to come for a visit and see for yourself. There are many lovely bed and breakfasts in the area that are friendly and safe for single travelers. I think if you came for a visit you just might be pleasantly surprised with what you will find tucked away in the remotest corners of this area.

For me, winter is the most beautiful time of year in Eastern Ontario. Many homes (including mine) have cozy fireplaces, the snow sparkles like diamonds and there are a lot of fun, winter activities to do, as well.
Rencie, thanks for that info. I will check out those places you mention. Never have of them except Kingston. I can't wait to explore!

Old 09-12-2007, 01:02 PM

8 posts, read 22,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazelais View Post
... I am not into Winter sports. In fact if I never see another Winter again....
.. Ouch! That's the kind of statement where I would strongly suggest you reconsider E Ontario. I have lived in this area for over 40 years and I still dislike winter. {Note that the word "dislike" is a mild and family oriented one. Normally I use more, um, descriptive words when talking about winter here! }.
.. I don't ski. I don't skate. Snowshoeing is strange. Snowboarding? Nah, that's for the younger folk. Hate to ice fish, usually just end up catching a cold. I used to be a great curler, but then I gave up drinking and it wasn't as fun anymore. I do kinda enjoy watching the snow fall thru my double-paned thermal windows. While wrapped up in my cozy comforter. Drinking an extra-large Tim Horton's coffee. Kinda sorta enjoy, that is, because I know that I'll have to go out there and shovel all that white stuff!!
.. With that said, there must be something that keeps me here. The people, the heritage, the cities and towns and villages, forests, lakes, hills, fields, all that natural beauty... yup, Eastern Ontario is a wonderful place to set down roots!

.. Now, if only someone could offer me a job in Phoenix AZ from November thru April...

Robb in Ottawa

Old 09-12-2007, 04:15 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,426,467 times
Quote:
I used to be a great curler, but then I gave up drinking and it wasn't as fun anymore.

ROFLMAO.

To true in a way only a Canadian would understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or