U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 05:04 PM

3 posts, read 5,708 times

Advertisements

I apologize in advance, this is a bit of a long and complicated.

I was born in Louisiana in 1989 to parents who moved from Calgary, AB for a job opportunity and shortly after found out I was on the way. We moved back when I was 1-2 years old, and later applied for a Canadian Citizenship card for myself in between 1990-1994, we're all unsure of when I received it. It was lost over the years and the only documents we have is a Commemoration of Canadian Citizenship.

My commemoration certificate however does not have the date issued stamped, I've read that when this is the case for certificates before 1980, and it was put on a letter that was sent with the documents, which doesn't make sense for one issued in the 90s. On the application form it indicates you need the date it was issued to apply for a new card. I feel like it would be a waste to spend the money on photos, fill out the forms and ready the payment, send it off to Sydney, NS just to have it all returned because of the date. I've tried calling their offices, when I do this I go through an automated system for about 5 minutes, then puts me on hold for a few minutes, then tells me all the representatives are busy, please call back later, their least busy hours are Thursday-Friday, mid afternoon. I've tried a good 15 times over the course of 6 months, on and off their "least busy hours". All I need is to get through to them to find out if I can apply without the date since I do have a certificate #. I've gone to all government buildings in Calgary and they know nothing about this.

I've had opportunities to travel that I've had to turn down, and will continue to turn them down. I cannot apply for my Canadian Passport until I have my Citizenship card, I have no idea what to do.

Can anyone shed some insight onto this situation? I have no idea what action I should take next, I feel very stuck and I've put my life on hold due to this, I intended to move to the US since I have Dual Citizenship, do I have to drive to Sydney, NS and bang on some doors??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 10:13 AM

3,060 posts, read 6,933,177 times
No need to turn down travel opportunities - you are born in the USA - why don't you just travel on your American passport?

Old 04-06-2010, 06:42 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,126,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
No need to turn down travel opportunities - you are born in the USA - why don't you just travel on your American passport?

Because the member currently resides in Calgary and, without proof of Canadian citizenship and only a US passport, is not guaranteed re-entry into Canada if she leaves.

Getting in touch with CIC can be a frustrating experience.

Perhaps you should call your local Member of Parliament's office, explain your situation, and see if they can grease the wheels a little for you.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:22 AM

5,475 posts, read 6,172,511 times
I was told a way to circumvent the endless loop of press 1 and press 2 is by pushing the zero button. I have used that to success with several businesses and got connected to an actual real person, but I have not had occasion to use it to connect to an actual real government person.

Maybe worth a try? I'd be curious to know if it worked.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:42 PM

The other unfortunate thing is I cannot even apply for an American Passport until I can travel, If I've read the correct information you need to apply in person at an American building, and of course.. not being able to leave Canada..

I'm totally shocked that they don't have a better phone setup, I'd much rather sit on hold for 3 hours than have it route me all over the place just to tell me to try later because we don't have a proper setup.

I'll try your recommendations cornerguy and netwit. You know I posted all over several forums and it was really nice to see some responses here. I hope I manage to resolved this so I can help other people out in the same situation, but I'm beginning to think the only when for me to figure this out is by sending in the filled out forms/pictures, then praying that 8 months later it doesn't get sent back.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:51 PM

7,827 posts, read 10,327,980 times
There's a US consulate downtown Calgary to get your US papers from.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:30 PM

16 posts, read 58,308 times
Charnelle, here:

The Consulate General of the United States of America - U.S. Consulate Calgary - Calgary U.S. Consulate (http://calgary.usconsulate.gov/content/index.asp - broken link)

Old 04-24-2010, 02:56 PM

Fantasic, Thank you guys. Hopefully now I can start to get the ball rolling. However they won't let me back into Canada without my citizenship card, so let's hope I manage to figure that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or