U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:33 PM

52 posts, read 193,311 times

Advertisements

Do you think Canada has good beaches? In comparison to other countries. What are some of the best beaches in Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 07:02 PM

6,151 posts, read 5,895,043 times
Could you please clarify what you mean when you say 'good' beaches. Good for what purpose, what does a good beach represent to you?

Old 04-18-2010, 01:09 AM

33,252 posts, read 39,435,703 times
The beaches at Tofino are nice,

Old 04-18-2010, 08:05 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,523,344 times
Canada has good beaches for Canada.

Compared to other countries? Not really. Depends on what you want out of a beach.

Totally different. Apples and Oranges. I enjoyed the beaches of the west coast when I lived there. Not for swimming so much (for me) but lovely to walk along, sit against one of the washed up logs and soak up a bit of sun, savour the gorgeous scenery, watch boats and ships go by, enjoy the sounds of nature, and get a bit of respite from city life and stresses.

I live in Perth, Australia for now, which has totally stunning beaches and wonderfully warm water for several months of the year. But they're completely different scenery-wise. Not as interesting scenery-wise.

When I lived in Vancouver, I enjoyed Spanish Banks, Jericho, Dundarave, Ambleside. On the west coast of Vancouver Island, Long Beach was gorgeous but freezing! I enjoyed it best when it was stormy and wild.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:14 PM

657 posts, read 2,333,308 times
Grand Beach in Manitoba is a white sand beach in the middle of the prairies that has been ranked on of the top 10 beaches in North America in the past few years.

There is Gimli Beach also in Manitoba which I personally enjoyed when I was in Canda.

I now live in San Diego and I must say that these two beaches are better than some of the beaches we have down here in terms of sand quality and over all experience.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:36 AM

287 posts, read 884,671 times
Prince Edward Island has beautiful red and pink(!) sand beaches:

http://images.google.com/images?um=1..._rfai=&start=0

Old 04-19-2010, 11:20 AM

20,752 posts, read 25,891,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggo View Post
Prince Edward Island has beautiful red and pink(!) sand beaches:

prince edward island, red sand beaches - Google Search
PEI's beaches are indeed beautiful.

Still in eastern Canada, Parlee Beach at Shediac, New Brunswick (near Moncton) is quite famous as well:

http://fr.academic.ru/pictures/frwik...age_Parlee.JPG

It is actually a lot bigger than this picture suggests, and can draw as many as 25,000 people on hot summer days.

Parlee and the beaches on the north side of PEI (Brackley, Cavendish, etc.) have temperatures around 20 C in summer and can go as high as 25 C during hotter periods.

Both places use "the warmest waters north of" either Virginia or the Carolinas in their tourism promotion. And although this may be a bit of a stretch, the water in these areas of Canada really is warmer than any of the ocean beaches much further south in New England and the northeastern U.S.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:41 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,490,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Canada has good beaches for Canada.

Compared to other countries? Not really. Depends on what you want out of a beach.

Totally different. Apples and Oranges. I enjoyed the beaches of the west coast when I lived there. Not for swimming so much (for me) but lovely to walk along, sit against one of the washed up logs and soak up a bit of sun, savour the gorgeous scenery, watch boats and ships go by, enjoy the sounds of nature, and get a bit of respite from city life and stresses.

I live in Perth, Australia for now, which has totally stunning beaches and wonderfully warm water for several months of the year. But they're completely different scenery-wise. Not as interesting scenery-wise.

When I lived in Vancouver, I enjoyed Spanish Banks, Jericho, Dundarave, Ambleside. On the west coast of Vancouver Island, Long Beach was gorgeous but freezing! I enjoyed it best when it was stormy and wild.
The water off Perth is rather cold for the latitude, thanks to the cold ocean current. Still not complaining, we have it alot better than Canadians!

Old 04-19-2010, 03:31 PM

1,049 posts, read 5,739,569 times
You don't have to have tropical weather in order to have good beaches. Canada has more coastline than any other country. There are plenty of beautiful, spectacular, if not downright awe-inspiring beaches. Again, we're not talking about tropical beaches, but fantastic beaches nonetheless.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:44 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,977,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
PEI's beaches are indeed beautiful.

Still in eastern Canada, Parlee Beach at Shediac, New Brunswick (near Moncton) is quite famous as well:

http://fr.academic.ru/pictures/frwik...age_Parlee.JPG

It is actually a lot bigger than this picture suggests, and can draw as many as 25,000 people on hot summer days.

Parlee and the beaches on the north side of PEI (Brackley, Cavendish, etc.) have temperatures around 20 C in summer and can go as high as 25 C during hotter periods.

Both places use "the warmest waters north of" either Virginia or the Carolinas in their tourism promotion. And although this may be a bit of a stretch, the water in these areas of Canada really is warmer than any of the ocean beaches much further south in New England and the northeastern U.S.
Actually, it isn't a stretch. On many days in the summer the water can get so warm that it is (almost) not refreshing! It has to do with the gulf stream - I can remember hitting the beaches in Maine and New Hampshire and being amazed that, although further south than Parlee, they are FREEZING!

Also of note in NB are the beaches at Kouchibouquac, Aboiteau near Cap-Pele NB and for surfing (albeit freezing water!!) Lawrencetown Beach in Nova Scotia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or