U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2007, 07:28 AM

47 posts, read 128,233 times

Advertisements

I am researching places to move to. I have lived most of my lift in Connecticut, USA and then lived in North Carolina and I am now in South Carolina. I miss Connecticut, but the cost of living is so high. My husband and I have mentioned maybe looking into Canada to move. I want to be on the coast, I have checked the website on Nova Scotia, but I would like to hear from people who live there or have lived there what it is really like, the cost of things, like homes, taxes, and such.

Thank you for any help.

Christine
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 12:57 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,708,591 times
Atlantic Canadian provinces tend to be cheap areas to live but the economy isn't very good, generally speaking.

That being said, I've met a lot of people from there who wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:49 PM

9 posts, read 90,540 times
We just don't like to tell too many people about how many jobs are available and about the real estate prices in some areas. We've been away for a few years and have decided that, despite living in a very nice town in Ontario, that there isn't anyplace like NS and are praying to be back in the summer

Old 02-15-2011, 11:09 PM

10 posts, read 18,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamelia View Post
We just don't like to tell too many people about how many jobs are available and about the real estate prices in some areas. We've been away for a few years and have decided that, despite living in a very nice town in Ontario, that there isn't anyplace like NS and are praying to be back in the summer
Sorry, but where are all these available jobs?
Nova Scotia does has great real estate opportunities and a peaceful lovely lifestyle if that is what you are seeking..but telling people there are alot of jobs here is totally wrong/untrue.

Most ppl living withen this province are on gov't assistance or living way below poverty line.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:11 PM

10 posts, read 18,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamelia View Post
Sorry, but where are all these available jobs?
Nova Scotia does have great real estate opportunities and a peaceful lovely lifestyle if that is what you are seeking..but telling people there are alot of jobs here is totally wrong/untrue.

Most ppl living withen this province are on gov't assistance or living way below poverty line.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:28 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,159,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea/snow View Post
...Most ppl living withen this province are on gov't assistance or living way below poverty line.
Less than 6% of the population are on income assistance. http://www.canadiansocialresearch.net/welfare.htm

In 2006, the most recent year for which
data is available, 76,000 Nova Scotians,
or 8.4% of the population, were living in
low-income situations (LICO; after-tax).
This represents the lowest incidence of
low-income of the past decade, and is
down from 8.9% in 2005. http://www.gov.ns.ca/coms/department...ts-May2008.pdf

Old 02-16-2011, 03:33 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,136,151 times
Isn't it difficult for a US citizen to get permission to live in Canada? I'm looking for a place to retire (looking at Colorado right now) and don't need a job, but isn't a residence visa hard to get?

Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,159,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Isn't it difficult for a US citizen to get permission to live in Canada? I'm looking for a place to retire (looking at Colorado right now) and don't need a job, but isn't a residence visa hard to get?
You could check this out: David Aujla, Canada Immigration Lawyer, Vancouver BC Office & Victoria B.C. Office

Old 02-16-2011, 12:33 PM

482 posts, read 2,159,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It isn't harder than for a Canadian to obtain US residency. Canada has a points systems that encourages folks with skills and entrepeneurs to move here.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:43 AM

78 posts, read 197,055 times
I am a US citizen with a home on the Eastern Shore of Nova Scotia, specifically Sober Island, near Sheet Harbour. It is pretty much a retirement community. Many US citizens have homes here. Most live here 6mths and back in the States 6mths. Some are full-time residents. There is a financial requirement to obtain resident status. Depending on what you're looking for, if you like privacy on the ocean the prices here are quite low, the people are amazingly friendly. There is a large art community here, a strong Chamber of Commerce and a committed group of retired people working on many improvements. Sidewalks were recently put in, bike path, quaint street lanterns and sidewalk mosaics. Taylor Head beach is 15 minutes away with miles of ocean and relatively quiet. We love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or