U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,070 times

Advertisements

Hi you guys , i,m wondering has anyone dealt before with importing stuff ( appliances , goods ). they are restaurant appliances . What i got from searching and askin that ,i,m gonna be looking for 8% on appliances and 5 % on goods. My question is how do they set he value in order to determine the duty ? is it all on the bills and recipes ? i know its long daunting way but its worth it .
I hope someone could just shed some light on this issue cuzz it has sequences on makin my decision .
Thanks in advance guys .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 04:04 PM

10,907 posts, read 23,199,221 times
Importing into Canada
is the article subject to some other federally-imposed condition? For example, goods for retail sale have to comply with labelling laws; motor vehicles have to meet emission control standards; food and agricultural products have to pass the necessary health and sanitary checks. Customs can usually advise you on this, but you can refer to the useful telephone numbers list below.

is the article subject to some privately-certified standard? For example, all electrical appliances and equipment must be certified by the Canadian Standards Association International before they can be sold in Canada. Call the CSA International at (416) 747-4000 (or toll-free 1-800-463-6727) for information on electrical and other standards.

is there a provincial rule to comply with? For example, imports of liquor, wine and beer require prior authorization from the appropriate liquor commission before Customs will clear them.

most goods imported are subject to customs duties (imposed under the Customs Tariff) and the GST; both these are collected by Customs at the time of importation, and levied on the landed value of the goods. Customs also collect anti-dumping and countervailing duties on a few goods that have been found to be sold under unfair conditions.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:31 PM

351 posts, read 2,170,623 times
Default Importing for private use

Do those conditions apply when you move across the border and bring household items, small furniture, clothes, linen, etc., with you? Considering that those are used items, not for resale, and for your own private use, is there any tax that you would be responsible for?

Old 05-22-2010, 09:01 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,431,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
Do those conditions apply when you move across the border and bring household items, small furniture, clothes, linen, etc., with you? Considering that those are used items, not for resale, and for your own private use, is there any tax that you would be responsible for?

There is a distinct difference between importing items for a business and bringing household goods with you when you move to Canada.

Here's the criteria for household goods you wish to bring into Canada when you move: Before you arrive: Prepare to move - Bringing goods to Canada

Old 05-23-2010, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Importing into Canada
is the article subject to some other federally-imposed condition? For example, goods for retail sale have to comply with labelling laws; motor vehicles have to meet emission control standards; food and agricultural products have to pass the necessary health and sanitary checks. Customs can usually advise you on this, but you can refer to the useful telephone numbers list below.

absolutely right and there is a website that explains it all plus a forum for ppl who actually did import cars and go through all those process and here is the link; Registrar of Imported Vehicles

is the article subject to some privately-certified standard? For example, all electrical appliances and equipment must be certified by the Canadian Standards Association International before they can be sold in Canada. Call the CSA International at (416) 747-4000 (or toll-free 1-800-463-6727) for information on electrical and other standards.

There where i have some clouds because I,m importing those equipments for my personal use in restaurant not for sale . actually i did try to contact them but there was a messaging box . But i think i read in their website that they test products and give upon the results certificates of quality to sell those products , they never mentioned anything about using them ..?

is there a provincial rule to comply with? For example, imports of liquor, wine and beer require prior authorization from the appropriate liquor commission before Customs will clear them.

Of course importing food has its own prickly way

most goods imported are subject to customs duties (imposed under the Customs Tariff) and the GST; both these are collected by Customs at the time of importation, and levied on the landed value of the goods. Customs also collect anti-dumping and countervailing duties on a few goods that have been found to be sold under unfair conditions.
Right on !! thats my biggest concern ! You see , i get to buy these equipments from appointed agent in south Asia and Middle East for famous and common American and European brands for 60 % off the price here in Canada !! nothing being sold under unfair conditions , and i have singed , dated and stamped bills and invoices . So , are they gonna take these prices into account when they set their values ?

I totally appreciate the input man .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada