Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 10,975 times

Advertisements

Hi,

1. Can US Citizen travel to Canada to visit without Visa?

2. How long can they stay there? (visiting)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 11:43 AM

11,154 posts, read 29,159,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hari1177 View Post
Hi,

1. Can US Citizen travel to Canada to visit without Visa?

2. How long can they stay there? (visiting)

Thanks
According to Citizenship and Immigration Canada, citizens of the countries whose citizens do not require a visa to visit Canada (including the US), are allowed to stay in the country for up to a maximum of 6 months per year. However, the immigration officials at the point of entry decide for how long you actually are allowed stay.
People mentioned above are required to obtain a visa prior to arrival if they decide to stay in Canada for more than 6 months.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:51 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,710,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
According to Citizenship and Immigration Canada, citizens of the countries whose citizens do not require a visa to visit Canada (including the US), are allowed to stay in the country for up to a maximum of 6 months per year. However, the immigration officials at the point of entry decide for how long you actually are allowed stay.
People mentioned above are required to obtain a visa prior to arrival if they decide to stay in Canada for more than 6 months.

For instance, if a US citizen entered Canada as a visitor and was not subject to a specific time limit by an Immigration officer, that US citizen could stay for a maximum of 6 months.

If that US citizen decided they wished to remain in Canada as a visitor for a period longer than that 6 month period, they would be required to apply for an extension to their visitor visa. This process requires one to file an application with Citizenship and Immigration Canada giving their reasons for requesting an extension. There is a fee involved and also a time element. The extension may or may not be granted.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 8,041 times
i have a u.s. visa and i'm from dominican republic do i need a visa to visit canada?

Old 11-21-2010, 03:22 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,710,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlize1324 View Post
i have a u.s. visa and i'm from dominican republic do i need a visa to visit canada?

The fact you have a US visa doesn't impact Canadian requirements. Visit Welcome Page | Page d'accueil to check the requirements for your citizenship.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,011,809 times
Most Americans i know who live in close proximity to the border just show a current passport if they want to come to Montreal for a day or two.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:14 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,248,596 times
List of countries whose citizens require a visa to enter/visit Canada:
Countries/Territories requiring visas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada