Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 11:35 AM

43 posts, read 87,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I believe you stated that you've never travelled in Europe, correct? I never found Americans to be "despised" there. I did find that Europeans can get annoyed with Americans, and I found it hard to blame them. For crying out loud, it seems you can't walk 10 feet without tripping over an American anywhere in Europe.

As for Canadians being "lionized" by the Dutch; well, my experience was that the Dutch felt considerable, if not greater, thanks towards the U.S. efforts to liberate Holland. If you drive through Nijmegen, many pubs have the logo of the 82nd Airborne Division painted on their buildings. Don't get me wrong, however -- the Canadian effort is recognized.
The Canadian effort is recognized?... what an understatement... Canada liberated Holland, not the US.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad...92726-qmi.html

Canadians liberate Holland - CBC Archives

Old 06-07-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
So you cant be a naturalized Canadian citizen but be originally from somewhere else? Once you are naturalized in Mexico will you stop saying you are Canadian and be Mexican before anything else?

How on earth do you not understand that. I didn't saying anything false, I am Jamaican, but I have Canadian citizenship, the same way I have American but am NOT American.
You are either a Canadian (i.e. hold Canadian citizenship) or you are not.... whether you were born in Canada or naturalized is irrelevant to the issue.

So now you're back to being a Canadian?

Old 06-07-2010, 11:53 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooson View Post
You are either a Canadian (i.e. hold Canadian citizenship) or you are not.... whether you were born in Canada or naturalized is irrelevant to the issue.

So now you're back to being a Canadian?
I always said I held Canadian citizenship, I guess when you get your Mexican citizenship and travel abroad and people ask you what you are you will say Mexican then. Do you really not understand what I was saying when I said I was Jamaican? (especially since I put a sarcastic smilie afterward)

Old 06-07-2010, 11:54 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
The Canadian effort is recognized?... what an understatement... Canada liberated Holland, not the US.

Netherlands to mark 65th anniversary of liberation | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Canadians liberate Holland - CBC Archives
Seriously, get a grip. The liberation of Holland was an ALLIED effort. Let's not forget the Brits, too.

Operation Market Garden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-07-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Fair enough.

Oh yes, when I was 6 and immigrated to Canada I was turned down for all those jobs
Yet again, you can't read... I said "Jamaicans" ... that referred to your family.

Quote:
How would you know how Canadians are viewed all over Europe? You have never been. It is a mixed bag based on country and individual. I do understand that US foreign policy has not been respected of late (and that is well earned) but unlike you I did not defend the USA's foreign policy the way you did Canada's. Neither country is free from reproach. It is funny how you completely skimmed over the examples I gave about Haiti and Turkey.
Personal experience is hardly the only way to gain knowledge.... and where have I defended Canada's foreign policies?

Haiti is another basket case in the world whose citizens should praise any country which bothers to spend a dime on them... they should be grateful to the US, Canada, France, Brazil just to name a few for trying to save their hopeless sorry asses.

Quote:
So you on one hand take a poll from 2004 on cnbc as gospel, but you do not respect the words of a former Vet in the Canadian forces (Afghanistan: Vet Claims Canada Using White Phosphorus as Weapon (http://www.pacificfreepress.com/news/1/3167-afghanistan-vet-claims-canada-using-white-phosphorus-as-weapon.html - broken link))
You can't even get the source right (it's MSNBC) and then direct false statements to me... I said that the poll was unscientific... do you know what that means?

Regarding the alleged war crimes that guy only wrote, "But when I hear of things our troops have done in Afghanistan"... so he didn't witness a thing! And you mention this to support your argument... your credibility here is zero.

Last edited by Waterlooson; 06-07-2010 at 12:12 PM..

Old 06-07-2010, 12:14 PM

793 posts, read 1,453,362 times
Quote:
Yet again, you can't read... I said "Jamaicans" ... that referred to your family.
And once again you make assumptions, you know my family's experience?

Quote:
Personal experience is hardly the only way to gain knowledge.... and where have I defended Canada's foreign policies?
It sure is a great way though, but of course you discount it because you have zero experience in Europe.

Quote:
Haiti is another basket case in the world whose citizens should praise any country which bothers to spend a dime on them... they should be grateful to the US, Canada, France, Brazil just to name a few for trying to save their hopeless sorry asses.
Oh my lord, you obviously have spent no real time speaking to the Haitian people or in their country. How ignorant.

Quote:
You can't even get the source right (it's MSNBC) and then direct false statements to me... I said that the poll was unscientific... do you know what that means?
So it was unscientific, but you still use it as a source? LOL This is unbelievable.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Seriously, get a grip. The liberation of Holland was an ALLIED effort. Let's not forget the Brits, too.

Operation Market Garden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LOL... first (according to you) the liberation of Holland was chiefly a US operation... now after cherry picking a Wiki article... it was an allied operation (leaving out any direct mention of Canada.

At least you were starting to get a "grip"... let's go the rest of the way:

Liberation Day (The Netherlands) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The nation was liberated largely by Canadian troops, with the assistance of the British and American Armies...

Old 06-07-2010, 12:24 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
LOL... first (according to you) the liberation of Holland was chiefly a US operation...
Please direct me to where I said that.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
So it was unscientific, but you still use it as a source? LOL This is unbelievable.
Unscientific doesn't mean that the poll is worthless. When thousands reply that they would consider posing as Canadians overseas by nearly a 2:1 margin... It's reasonable to believe that a significant percentage (certainly not the majority despite what the vote may suggest) of those people wearing the Canadian flag in Europe are actually Americans. Furthermore articles in major media have been posted on this thread saying the same thing.

Last edited by Waterlooson; 06-07-2010 at 12:39 PM..

Old 06-07-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Please direct me to where I said that.
You said, "my experience was that the Dutch felt considerable, if not greater, thanks towards the U.S. efforts to liberate Holland."

You implied that the US role in liberating Holland must have been more significant than Canada's.

Fact is, Canada's role was huge... the US had a more peripheral role.

Now, back on topic...

So now that you know all this, do you yearn to wear a Canadian flag?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada