Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:42 PM

793 posts, read 1,453,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
When we go to Paris this summer I am going to staple my Canadian passport to my forehead. srsly.
Is this reaction based on a previous experience in Paris? Where you treated badly overseas? Just wondering, because why dont you just go on vacation and enjoy yourself as a Canadian, American, Australian, Egyptian, whatever?

This displaying ones nationality abroad for "protection" thing is really strange to me.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:13 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,294 times
I have an American friend actually that put up a Canadian flag on his backpack when he went through Europe...I cannot for the life of me understand this and always give him a hard time about it when it comes up.

I studied in London during the first half of 2008 and backpacked throughout most of Western Europe afterward and never had a single negative experience due to my nationality. Then again, I don't wear baggy clothing or anything with US sport teams when I'm traveling (because I don't do this at home either) so at first glance I did not look like any one nationality really. For some reason especially in France I would be asked directions if I didn't have my large backpack on. Of course when I spoke it was obvious I was an American but I was never treated rudely even in Paris which would be a shock to many Americans who've never traveled abroad.

I stayed in hostels so I came across a great deal of backpackers from the Anglosphere, Portugal, Germany, and Japan. The vast majority I spent time with were genuinely good people and we enjoyed learning about each others travels and homelands with a little light-hearted banter occasionally. As an American I felt no different than anyone else. I did have discussions about some Americans not paying attention to the world but I think as a backpacker in a hostel in Faro, Portugal for example they didn't assume that about me. My experience may have been different had I been obnoxious or an excessive complainer. These stereotypes do exist about American tourists so if I had acted like that they would have assumed it was because of my nationality and not just that I'm an a**hole which would be the correct response!

I did have a conversation in Munich where I was told I was not nearly as backward or racist as they thought I would be given where I'm from. But this guy was from LA! He was Asian and somehow hadn't encountered many American Southerners except on TV/movies so we had a good laugh about stereotypes of Southerners and Californians.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:28 PM

701 posts, read 1,900,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I have an American friend actually that put up a Canadian flag on his backpack when he went through Europe...I cannot for the life of me understand this and always give him a hard time about it when it comes up.

I studied in London during the first half of 2008 and backpacked throughout most of Western Europe afterward and never had a single negative experience due to my nationality. Then again, I don't wear baggy clothing or anything with US sport teams when I'm traveling (because I don't do this at home either) so at first glance I did not look like any one nationality really. For some reason especially in France I would be asked directions if I didn't have my large backpack on. Of course when I spoke it was obvious I was an American but I was never treated rudely even in Paris which would be a shock to many Americans who've never traveled abroad.

I stayed in hostels so I came across a great deal of backpackers from the Anglosphere, Portugal, Germany, and Japan. The vast majority I spent time with were genuinely good people and we enjoyed learning about each others travels and homelands with a little light-hearted banter occasionally. As an American I felt no different than anyone else. I did have discussions about some Americans not paying attention to the world but I think as a backpacker in a hostel in Faro, Portugal for example they didn't assume that about me. My experience may have been different had I been obnoxious or an excessive complainer. These stereotypes do exist about American tourists so if I had acted like that they would have assumed it was because of my nationality and not just that I'm an a**hole which would be the correct response!

I did have a conversation in Munich where I was told I was not nearly as backward or racist as they thought I would be given where I'm from. But this guy was from LA! He was Asian and somehow hadn't encountered many American Southerners except on TV/movies so we had a good laugh about stereotypes of Southerners and Californians.
I think how one is treated in another country largely reflects how he behaves him/herself, instead of his/her nationality. Not many people will hate one just because he is from a certain country.

That being said, many Americans feel they were treated badly without thinking about how they behaved in a foreign country. For example, many Americans assume everyone in the world should speak good English and whoever doesn't it is his fault. If a French waiter greets him in French, he simply ignores and replies with "hello", as if saying" I am American, speak English with me." I wouldn't blame the waiter for finding this American annoying. Every American (or anglophones) should keep it in mind, nobody is obligated to speak English with you in a foreign. If someone does speak English with you, he or she is doing your a huge favor because you are sort of handicapped not being able to speak the local language. The fact that English is most widely spoken in the world doesn't change that.

On many occasions, many American do have this "I am from the U.S of A" arragance, acting like anything different from the American culture is just wrong or stupid, passing on various judgments without even knowing it, they laugh at, sometimes unwittingly, Canada, the UK, France or Asian countries for whatever is different from the US, and often assume just because they are Americans, they should be popular, because,,, everyone is suppposed to adore America, and many probably really want to move there. From an Asian country, I have seen many of these Americans, who are just nobody in their own country and want to be treated like kings or queens in Asia. Usually bad reputation comes from somewhere.

Last edited by kkgg7; 06-04-2010 at 12:42 PM..

Old 06-04-2010, 01:37 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
I think how one is treated in another country largely reflects how he behaves him/herself, instead of his/her nationality. Not many people will hate one just because he is from a certain country.

That being said, many Americans feel they were treated badly without thinking about how they behaved in a foreign country. For example, many Americans assume everyone in the world should speak good English and whoever doesn't it is his fault. If a French waiter greets him in French, he simply ignores and replies with "hello", as if saying" I am American, speak English with me." I wouldn't blame the waiter for finding this American annoying. Every American (or anglophones) should keep it in mind, nobody is obligated to speak English with you in a foreign. If someone does speak English with you, he or she is doing your a huge favor because you are sort of handicapped not being able to speak the local language. The fact that English is most widely spoken in the world doesn't change that.

On many occasions, many American do have this "I am from the U.S of A" arragance, acting like anything different from the American culture is just wrong or stupid, passing on various judgments without even knowing it, they laugh at, sometimes unwittingly, Canada, the UK, France or Asian countries for whatever is different from the US, and often assume just because they are Americans, they should be popular, because,,, everyone is suppposed to adore America, and many probably really want to move there. From an Asian country, I have seen many of these Americans, who are just nobody in their own country and want to be treated like kings or queens in Asia. Usually bad reputation comes from somewhere.
I agree with much of what you said. My main point was that most in the world aren't going to judge you on your nationality and that while I had mostly positive experiences I wasn't arrogant or insistent that people speak to me in English. In my case I know only a few phrases in French so obviously if there's going to be any real verbal communication while I'm in France it will be in English. However, I certainly tried to start out in French or at least ask them "par le vous anglais?" and they would switch to English.
It's ridiculous to walk into a cafe and start talking English to them yet many of the people who do this would be livid if a Mexican back home spoke to them in Spanish.

For the record I expect foreigners in America to at least try to learn English and in every country I've traveled to in Europe and Asia I've done the same.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:11 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,858 times
I remember people wearing the Canadian flags when travelling back in the seventies, but thought it was more for safety than anything, when travelling to troubled countries like Nicaragua, San Salvadore, etc., to show that they were visiting 'neutral' tourists not involved with their conflicts in war.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:03 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,862,145 times
Travelling to troubled countries is just asking for trouble. I doubt a Canadian flag would protect them.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:13 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post

Wow, can we say SWEEPING GENERALIZATIONS

Old 06-06-2010, 02:24 PM

43 posts, read 87,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
This is a riot to read, only someone so insecure about their national identity would write something so silly.
No it's true, 'mericans don't like getting picked on for the issues their country has caused... so they masquerade as Canadians.

Why Americans pretend to be Canadian - Times Online

For many, it's either stay in North America or be an "honorary Canadian".

And it's been going on for decades.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6666338/

I know lots of Canadians who have traveled overseas and figured that they had met some other Canadians because they were wearing Canadian flags... until they spoke to them... Here's a typical conversation: So where are you guys from? Ah, Toronto (only city they know of in Canada) ... Oh yah? What part of Toronto... Okay, we really are from the States! LMAO.

You 'mercans are a hoot!

Last edited by Waterlooson; 06-06-2010 at 02:39 PM..

Old 06-06-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
We aussies are often mistaken for Americans as well, until we open our mouths of course!

Still canadians take it to the extreme, not only the flags (i once met a girl who had 12 of them on her) but Roots gear, a shirt supporting their local NHL hockey team, or a molson shirt with the "I am Canadian" Logo are mainstays of your average "canadian" backpakcer.
Canadians take it to extremes? Here're some Aussies in Canada:

YouTube - Australia Day at Whistler Blackcomb

Then take this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmKf8...eature=related

I like the part starting at about 4:50... look at all the props Aussie take with them - crocs and all.

Last edited by Waterlooson; 06-06-2010 at 04:18 PM..

Old 06-06-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
I guess I do not understand why anyone would want to stick out like a sore thumb as a tourist abroad, so I think I should just agree to disagree on this one. I have always tried my best to blend in wherever I travel and it has served me quite well, especially now living in Turkey part time.

And what does my location have to do with anything? (Even though I have to admit I am in Ankara for the night not Istanbul like usual) I admit you mentioning that went completely over my head.
An American friend of mine does civil engineering consulting work all over the world. When he tried to get through customs in Saudi Arabia, they gave him the hardest time because they don't like Americans... that according to him. When he got to the desk, the customs agent saw his US passport and told him to go back to the end of the line (the same very long line)... It took him 3 hours to get through customs, and he only had some clothing.

The trick is to get the officials to laugh (or at least smile) at you. That way they might just give you a break. So next time he needs to wear a white T-shirt with a big red maple leaf... that way, when the Saudi customs agent looks at him, and then his passport, he will laugh his ass off and let the poor guy through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada