U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 10:29 PM

793 posts, read 1,191,627 times

Advertisements

Something I have noticed while traveling and living abroad is that Canadian travelers are most likely out of every nationality to display their flag on their suitcases/backpacks.

It was actually brought to my attention yesterday here in Istanbul (I live here part time for work) when a Turkish co-worker of mine knowing I grew up in Canada mentioned that all of them had a big joke about the Canadians standing out because of the flag and that they made themselves targets if they ventured out of the main tourist areas like Sultanahmet.

I agree with him 100% personally and think it is kind of obnoxious and ill advised because you are in a foreign country and should do your best to blend in.

So do you wear a Canadian flag abroad? and if so why?

Old 05-31-2010, 11:42 PM

7,247 posts, read 6,585,166 times
Heh heh heh.

Believe it or not, they mostly aren't Canadians doing that, it's mostly Americans that put a Canadian logo of some kind on their luggage, although many Canadians will do it as well. I have talked to so many Americans that claim to always put a Canadian flag or a small red maple leaf on their luggage, or on the shoulder of their jacket or their hat or whatever.

They (both Americans and Canadians) say the reason they do it is because they don't want to be mistaken for Americans when they're travelling. They figure they get better service and people are friendlier if they think they are dealing with Canadian tourists, which I suspect is probably true. People have been doing that for many years now and I'm surprised you've only just noticed it. Next time you see people with a Canadian logo on their luggage or clothing, go strike up a conversation with them and listen for an American accent and mannerisms.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:58 PM

705 posts, read 1,442,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
Something I have noticed while traveling and living abroad is that Canadian travelers are most likely out of every nationality to display their flag on their suitcases/backpacks.

It was actually brought to my attention yesterday here in Istanbul (I live here part time for work) when a Turkish co-worker of mine knowing I grew up in Canada mentioned that all of them had a big joke about the Canadians standing out because of the flag and that they made themselves targets if they ventured out of the main tourist areas like Sultanahmet.

I agree with him 100% personally and think it is kind of obnoxious and ill advised because you are in a foreign country and should do your best to blend in.

So do you wear a Canadian flag abroad? and if so why?
Part of their national identity crisis.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:59 PM

705 posts, read 1,442,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Heh heh heh.

Believe it or not, they mostly aren't Canadians doing that, it's mostly Americans that put a Canadian logo of some kind on their luggage, although many Canadians will do it as well. I have talked to so many Americans that claim to always put a Canadian flag or a small red maple leaf on their luggage, or on the shoulder of their jacket or their hat or whatever.

They (both Americans and Canadians) say the reason they do it is because they don't want to be mistaken for Americans when they're travelling. They figure they get better service and people are friendlier if they think they are dealing with Canadian tourists, which I suspect is probably true. People have been doing that for many years now and I'm surprised you've only just noticed it. Next time you see people with a Canadian logo on their luggage or clothing, go strike up a conversation with them and listen for an American accent and mannerisms.

This is a riot to read, only someone so insecure about their national identity would write something so silly.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:39 AM

156 posts, read 348,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
This is a riot to read, only someone so insecure about their national identity would write something so silly.
Though I have never been backpacking and cannot confirm from first hand experience, I have heard this reason many times.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:11 AM

793 posts, read 1,191,627 times
Quote:
Heh heh heh.

One quick question, have you been out of the country since Obama was elected? Check his poll numbers in Europe, they are actually higher than in the US. The old Americans get treated badly abroad thing died with GWB.

At the airport terminal I actually was standing for my bags next to two young ladies who had the canadian flag on their backpacks, and from the accent I can tell you they were DEF not American

I havent just recently noticed this, but just wanted to bring it up because of the comment my co-worker made.

With that being said wearing that flag does the opposite and I know first hand that people here in Istanbul view them as a joke, no wonder they never venture far from the Blue Mosque and miss out on the rest of this wonderful city.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:44 AM

5,692 posts, read 6,538,583 times
I've never worn a flag or anything identifying myself by nationality but I do know some Canadians who have, particularly during GWB's White House tenure. The reason they said they did it was to avoid being identified as Americans.

Stating one's understanding of the reasons why some display the Canadian flag abroad is not the same as an identity crisis, something calisnuffy has failed to understand. Many Europeans tend to lump all North Americans into the same category and wouldn't be familiar enough with the English language to to catch differences in accents. The simplest reason of all, is that if your name is "Bill" and someone keeps calling you "Andy," you want to correct them.

And the people I know who have done that are in their 40s and 50s, and remember the days when tourists with Israeli and American passports were singled out in plane hijackings.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:02 AM

I gotta tell you that your identity issues are really all irrelevant to me so don't go off getting into a snit about it, okay? I'm very content with my identity as a Canadian.

You asked the question and I told you the answer. If you can't accept the answers you get here then just ask it on google and you'll find similar discussions and answers. Here ya go, I've just gone and done it for you, click on the link below and see for yourself what other people's reasons for it are, especially why it's recommended to Americans. Here are 5,720,000 results for you to the question "why do American travellers put Canadian flags on their luggage?".

Google

There's a big industry in supplying Canadian logos and flags to American travellers, has been for at least 12 years that I know of. You can ask about that on google too if you want to find out who the suppliers are.

Quote:
One quick question, have you been out of the country since Obama was elected? Check his poll numbers in Europe, they are actually higher than in the US. The old Americans get treated badly abroad thing died with GWB.
No!! George died ?!?!? I didn't know that! When did that happen? May he rest in peace.

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-01-2010 at 03:37 AM..

Old 06-01-2010, 03:35 AM

17,446 posts, read 23,957,361 times
Quote:
Heh heh heh.

They (both Americans and Canadians) say the reason they do it is because they don't want to be mistaken for Americans when they're travelling.
Even in the '90s Europeans already figured out that people who were travelling with Canadian flags or logos on their backpacks or luggage were American (with a few exceptions), and Canadians doing so have been thought to be American.

ISTM that for English-speakers to get better treatment when travelling abroad than otherwise they should try to pretend they're Irish, given that Ireland has been a victim of foreign aggression throughout its history rather than an aggressor itself - but it's harder for Americans, or Canadians outside of the Maritimes, to fake that accent.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:06 AM

I have one more suggestion for you, just as an experiment for you to try since you've got a very broad base of people right here on City-Data forums to ask. Go on the World forum or the general discussions forums, try asking the question "Do you display your nation's emblems when you travel abroad?" and ask them why.

If you do that, be neutral and unbiased, don't make the troll-type mistake that calisnuffy just made, don't be a basher and don't express any criticism or personal opinion like you did here, such as you think it is obnoxious or silly or that it's a joke (that could be taken as an insult and may just get some people riled up and thinking you're a troll, you see) - just ask if people wear an identifying logo when they travel and what their reasons are for doing so. Then make your own judgements about it based on what their honest answers are and if you want to express your personal opinions about it after that then go for it.

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-01-2010 at 04:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.