Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 04:18 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,489,321 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for info on the vaginal procedure. Recovery time? When is the follow up and what does it entail? How do they ensure that they excised enough of the cervix to remove all the cancer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 06:20 PM

36,960 posts, read 40,898,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I'm looking for info on the vaginal procedure. Recovery time? When is the follow up and what does it entail? How do they ensure that they excised enough of the cervix to remove all the cancer?

Why is the procedure being recommended? Has the patient already had a supracervical hysterectomy?

Usually, if there is a malignancy extensive enough to require surgery, the entire uterus is removed.

I could see doing it in a elderly person with a uterus if there were serious medical problems and a need to keep anesthesia to a minimum, or as a means of perhaps preserving fertility (but that would be an iffy proposition with risks of cervical stenosis and premature delivery due to weakening of the cervix).

Could you give more patient history?

To answer your questions. Recovery should be quick. I would not predict a lot of pain. Follow-up a few weeks after the surgery. Complete excision determined by the pathologist's evaluation of the surgically removed tissue. Follow-up Pap smears, frequently at first, then stretched out to up to a year apart, but no further than that.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Could you give more patient history?

To answer your questions. Recovery should be quick. I would not predict a lot of pain. Follow-up a few weeks after the surgery. Complete excision determined by the pathologist's evaluation of the surgically removed tissue. Follow-up Pap smears, frequently at first, then stretched out to up to a year apart, but no further than that.
Thanks for the info.

Early stages of cervical cancer. Patient is still young enough to conceive. Partial removal of the cervix (about 1/3) vaginally is the recommended route according to two different doctors.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Early stages of cervical cancer. Patient is still young enough to conceive. Partial removal of the cervix (about 1/3) vaginally is the recommended route according to two different doctors.

Is it "carcinoma in situ" ? If so, is the planned procedure "conization" ? If more than carcinoma in situ, has a gyn oncologist been consulted?

Old 09-21-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Is it "carcinoma in situ" ? If so, is the planned procedure "conization" ? If more than carcinoma in situ, has a gyn oncologist been consulted?
I think a "cone" term was mentioned. The planned procedure is removal of part of the cervix due to cancer. There was an abnormal pap, colposcopy and another type of biopsy. It was determined that removal of part of the cervix is necessary.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I think a "cone" term was mentioned. The planned procedure is removal of part of the cervix due to cancer. There was an abnormal pap, colposcopy and another type of biopsy. It was determined that removal of part of the cervix is necessary.

That makes more sense, then. The term "trachelectomy" would really imply removal of the entire cervix and would be an uncommon procedure these days.

With a cone biopsy, the area around the opening in the cervix is removed along with part of the lining of the opening in the cervix. This provides another tissue sample for the pathologist to look at and usually cures the problem.

It is important to know what you mean by "cancer". Carcinoma in situ means the abnormality is confined to the most superficial tissue layer. It is not a cancer that can spread, but if untreated may become a truly invasive cancer which can do so. Truly invasive cancer on a biopsy would not be treated by conization, and a cone is not necessary for further diagnosis. So I am assuming that the patient we are discussing has a diagnosis no worse than carcinoma in situ.

Recovery from conization would be as I described before. It is important not to insert anything in the vagina until the doctor determines the cervix has healed well --- not even a tampon. The most common complication is bleeding, which sometimes can be delayed and heavy.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
That makes more sense, then. The term "trachelectomy" would really imply removal of the entire cervix and would be an uncommon procedure these days.

With a cone biopsy, the area around the opening in the cervix is removed along with part of the lining of the opening in the cervix. This provides another tissue sample for the pathologist to look at and usually cures the problem.

It is important to know what you mean by "cancer". Carcinoma in situ means the abnormality is confined to the most superficial tissue layer. It is not a cancer that can spread, but if untreated may become a truly invasive cancer which can do so. Truly invasive cancer on a biopsy would not be treated by conization, and a cone is not necessary for further diagnosis. So I am assuming that the patient we are discussing has a diagnosis no worse than carcinoma in situ.

Recovery from conization would be as I described before. It is important not to insert anything in the vagina until the doctor determines the cervix has healed well --- not even a tampon. The most common complication is bleeding, which sometimes can be delayed and heavy.
Early stages, that's all I know. But you answered my question. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 7,855 times
Default trachelectomy

One week recovery, Vaginaly Procedure.Must Rest.take it easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer