Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 04:26 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmabernathy View Post
Roselvr-I don't know about the neighbor but My Daddy didn't have any of the risk factors, thanks for the link.

I am 29 now (my Daddy died at 50) should I get tested, will my insurance cover it? I don't have the risk factors either, except that now my Daddy has died from it. My family history includes a lot of other cancers but he was the only one with colon cancer.

Diabetics run in both sides of my family too, but my parents didn't have it and my blood sugar is consistantly in the 70's-although when I was heavier I was in the prediabetic range.

I am so sorry for your loss. My Daddy has been gone for 7 years, and I still miss him.

Talk to your father's gastroenterologist about when to start screening. Certainly it should be well before the age at which your father was diagnosed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 04:34 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Colon cancer has some pretty definitive causes behind it, and it's pretty easy to avoid in the long run if you just eat right.
I completely disagree.
Katie Couric's husband Jay Monahan died of colon cancer several years ago and since his diagnosis, she's been instrumental in getting people to realize that this is a cancer that has a very high cure rate IF detected in time. This is an article from 2004 describing her advocacy for screening: Katie Couric: I MUST share this vital information - TODAYshow.com

Old 09-23-2010, 05:16 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I think if I was you I would have a colonoscopy around age 40. Insurance may not pay, but for ease of mind, I would pay for it myself. In my area I think the cost is about $1,200. You have 10 years to save up for it. Better than worrying about it.
First of all, colorectal cancer is the 3rd ost commonly diagnosed cancer in both men and women. About 140,000 people will be diagnosed with the disease in 2010.

The American College of Gastroenterology (ACG) recommends routine colon screening colonoscopies at age 50. If you have a fmaily history of colon cancer in a 1st degree relative (parent, sibling, etc), then screenings should start at age 40 OR 10 years younger than the age of the relative with cancer, whichever comes first. Since your dad was 40, your health insurance should pay for screenings at 40. That is as along as you have none of the "worry signs" (change in bowel habits, bleeding etc), at which point you should have your screening exam.

Most colon cancers evolve from polyps although a family history places a person at about 10-15% risk of developing the disease.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:35 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
First of all, colorectal cancer is the 3rd ost commonly diagnosed cancer in both men and women. About 140,000 people will be diagnosed with the disease in 2010.

The American College of Gastroenterology (ACG) recommends routine colon screening colonoscopies at age 50. If you have a fmaily history of colon cancer in a 1st degree relative (parent, sibling, etc), then screenings should start at age 40 OR 10 years younger than the age of the relative with cancer, whichever comes first. Since your dad was 40, your health insurance should pay for screenings at 40. That is as along as you have none of the "worry signs" (change in bowel habits, bleeding etc), at which point you should have your screening exam.

Most colon cancers evolve from polyps although a family history places a person at about 10-15% risk of developing the disease.
Then he should get the 1st in his 30's if they suggest 10 years earlier, at least to get a base

Old 09-24-2010, 11:46 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmabernathy View Post
He was only 50.
Just to remind everyone, his father was not 40, he was 50. Of course, talk to your doctor about when to have the first colonoscopy. But I believe that would be about 40 years of age for you. If you have any symptoms before that time, then go get one asap.

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a parent is most difficult.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:16 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Then he should get the 1st in his 30's if they suggest 10 years earlier, at least to get a base
I meant to write that since his dad was 50 when diagnosed, that the OP should get an initial screening at 40. Guess I didn't edit my post well. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Colon cancer is one of the commonest but also one that can be prevented some times and treated if caught early. One reason that at about 40 many now recommend a colonoscopy. I am always shcok hearting the number of friends that are checked and have Polps that are precancerous conditions.Also it seems that diet can play a big role in keeping a healthy colon.I wouldn't be alarmed its such a commo cancer but it should make you want to bhave your checked if you haven't already depending on age.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:33 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
There is much misinformation regarding colon cancer. Studies are being done to try to determine if there is a common causative factor. Where I live, in northeastern PA, we have a higher incidence of colorectal cancer than in the rest of the state. I was diagnosed in January of '09 w/Stage II colon cancer, despite the fact that I had faithfully had colonoscopies as ordered by my doctor. The tumor had reached 7.5cm in less than two years following a negative colonoscopy. I had surgery and chemo. I'm doing pretty well, except for some very uncomfortable days when I have severe gastric disturbance.

The Cancer Society is funding a study of colon cancer victims to try to determine if diet does, indeed, play a part. I participated in the study, and was shocked to learn that they have a very difficult time getting people to answer the survey questions.

My surgeon and his partners are of the mind that because the rivers are contaminated with acid-mine water run-off, there is a causative factor there.

Then there is another school of thought that believes if you live long enough you'll get everything.

My own opinion is that we can be as prudent as necessary, but in the end, we all die. All we can hope for is that we do so as painlessly and peacefully as possible.

lmabernathy, my condolences. Your physician can advise you as to when you will need to commence your scopes. With a parental link, you will more than likely start at age 40. By that time, President Obama's health coverage will take care of the expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer