Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:04 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,835,885 times

Advertisements

I am a stage IV breast cancer patient. This weekend I received pink shotgun shells (long story behind that!) and for some reason this topic came to mind. Is it overkill to have so much breast cancer awareness? Or - maybe we have so much breast cancer awareness because so many people have been touched by breast cancer. One in eight women will have breast cancer sometime during their life. It is the leading cancer for women. By contrast the leading cancer for men is Prostrate. Kind of hard to evoke the warm fuzzies about a prostrate that you get about a breast. Much easier to market finding a cure for breast cancer. Find a cure for breast cancer, find a cure for them all - or at least most of them. You might be sick of seeing pink, but I bet you you know someone that has had beast cancer. Support them, support us - we need all the help we can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 02:44 PM

30,229 posts, read 15,988,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonknight123 View Post
One more reason for breast cancer awareness and it's pretty sad. Look at what we women as a whole have done to ourselves (Of course there are always exceptions). Breast augmentation, boob job (The search for perfect breasts to please men and to please ourselves and even compete with other women or keep up with them) Boob's are a big deal because of the media, men and their fixation. I have lots of friends and 3/4 of them have had breast augmentation, both my sisters did as well.

We nurse our babies and they become something other than a nice rack. We become a life source to our babies. The last thoughts that went through my mind before they put me under was how sad to lose what was once revered as a very feminine part of my body, I nursed my babies and they were taking everything including the nipples. I managed Victoria's Secret for many years and had such a huge client base of women ranging from teens to post menopausal. VS has the Bombshell bra which makes a women's bust size a size or two larger. I know, it's sad if you think about it. Women are always trying to boost those girls, enlarge them etc. The men will pay for it because they like it (Again this does not apply to all women and all men) but I know you understand my point.

Boobs became a big deal through the media and so when a woman is threatened with breast cancer it does something to her psyche. Ideally it would be great to say, "well, she should not worry, breasts aren't everything, if a man really loves her it won't matter" We should be thankful to survive!!! Very idealistic and not very convincing to most women, in fact I have heard other women say to their own friends; "You should just get a boob job" Even women encourage others to do it. I hear women talking bad about their own breasts (Men never talk out loud negatively about their manhood or any part of their body except joking about their beer belly and then they half the time rub it like they are proud .

I realize the majority of women that get breast cancer are post menopausal and probably don't find it as important to get reconstruction, they are more sensible and have a better understanding of what matters most. Why risk complications with surgery. Some however still care about their self image and have it plastic surgery and reconstruction, we've seen that in celebrities.

Susan G Komen was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 33. At the age of 36 she passed away (1980). Susan's (younger) sister Nancy Goodman Brinker, felt that Susan's outcome would have been better if she knew more about cancer and it's treatment and made a promise to her sister that she would do everything she could to end breast cancer. That's when she founded the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation in her sister's memory. Good intentions, and it soared. Whether or not the integrity of it is in tact as it was in the beginning, that's not the point about this topic here (Sorry, but Enough with "Breast cancer awareness month). We women (generally speaking) all somehow contributed to the importance of Breasts and now people want to SAVE THEM and the lives of these women.

Well look now, people are tired of it and angry because the other cancers don't get much attention. I honestly believe that we all made Breasts a big deal. Blunt I know, but I'm in those shoes and I see many women with breast cancer. I have stories upon stories and you know what, People don't make a big deal about their pancreas (YES IT'S IMPORTANT, my God it most certainly is and every other vital organ ), but our society talks about "Breasts, boobs, tata's, a nice rack, and we even have beauty pagents where they are emphasized, even our young teens in school are obsessed with the shape size and flaws of them . Breasts are talked about daily regardless of cancer, they get looked at, talked about, criticized about or "wowed" about. So when cancer hits those babies, it is going to make a huge impact because they are a big deal.

You know what the first thing out of a few girlfriends mouths that was said to me (to make me feel better I guess and show support) Don't worry...You'll have a brand knew set after plastic surgery and look better than the rest of us ARE YOU KIDDING ME LOL!!! It's sad but some people think of that more than the spread of the disease because it's boobs and not a vital organ. I have a cancer blog I wrote It's easy to find if you google shannon knight my victory over cancer, I have a few blogs. One is called my attitude adjustment, I wrote it while fighting the disease.

Some one wrote to me above (With good intentions, kind words and to sort of send me in a better direction by not allowing negative energy in my life while fighting the disease). I must say this. We are all born with an array of emotions. It is okay to express joy, and delight, and maybe okay to cry and be sad , but...when it comes to anger or negative feelings this is where everything gets thrown off balance (We must SUPPRESS? ) This is not healthy and it's like keeping trash stored in your house and never getting rid of it. It has to go somewhere and as long as someone is not being vile and destructive, negativity must flow through and out of us. This I learned the hard way; I stuffed all my pain inside and was miss polite all the time and the negativity stays in you and festers believe me. This is when disease (Dis-ease) blossoms in the body. Let it go, let it flow through, look at it for what it is and don't feel guilty for feeling angry. I believe this fosters the growth of cancer. If we do not allow every emotion it's proper place this is not healthy. I am not talking about being violent, but remaining true to yourself (Your authentic self) My cancer is NOT going away because I am positive or getting worse if I express negativity. I think balance is important. Some amazing positive people get sick and DIE and some cynical negative people live on forever. This is a stigma that has been attached to cancer and it is hurtful to many. When you tell someone that being negative contributes to their disease, think long and hard about what you are saying. (I can handle it) but there are some people that will take it hard upon themselves and blame themselves for the disease over analyzing everything negative they have ever felt.

I got my disease from a vitamin D deficiency I lived in Seattle for ten years and never was in the sun. Let's not add self blame to the victims of cancer and other diseases, it just happens sometimes and some people get hit by a car or get a stroke at age 19 like my son (He had a hole in his heart). We live and then we die and no one is the authority on how it goes for each unique individual.

Have a great week
I hope you enjoy the blogs
Shannon Knight my Victory over Cancer
Shannon Knight My Attitude Adjustment

Peace, Love and Light
reread that post and it still sounds very negative; if you say it wasn't meant that way, I'll accept that and just chalk it up to the limitation of the written word vs the spoken, and I guess my interpretation.

Odd about different reactions tho'. Everyone I've told about mine (chose mastectomy over lumpectomy and chemo) told me I did the right thing. People are, well, weird aren't they?

(present company excluded of course)

Old 06-01-2011, 07:36 PM

23,789 posts, read 33,234,366 times
Quote:
Please try reading what i wrote out loud with a smile on your face without anger or defensiveness and tell me if it sounds the same the second time. Read it with compassion (out loud with a smile =).
That last sentence i wrote exposed a little bit of myself, an emotion of fear. The rest of my entry was written carefully, thoughtfully and without anger. Thank you for the flower.
Hi Shannon; 1st; I'm sorry that with all of the awareness for breast cancer; & fighting as much as you have that you are one that it did not help. I hated to see Elizabeth Edwards lose her fight. I was at the GYN yesterday; she was going over my records & wondered why I'd only had 2 mammograms; I felt foolish telling her that it doesn't run in my family.. I felt foolish because she was wearing a scarf & it was obvious she'd just lost her hair to chemo. She told me she was younger then me with no family history either but they found it early due to her going every year.. So; I took the script.

Anyway; the piece you wrote about boobs is true. I remember back when reconstruction was not offered because I know someone that paved the way for others. Back then; she had to visit a psych to prove she needed reconstruction to move on with her life. She was one who looked at it positively; she had small boobs & was looking forward to being a little bigger. She was even going to ink butterflies instead of nipples. I saw her a few years ago & I have to say that she was one of the most positive people I've ever known; telling me how much she loves her new boobs..

On the flip side; at one of the cancer boards a lady posted because she was furious that the oncologists never told them that her husband may lose his teeth due to head & neck cancer due to radiation damage & how insurance refuses to pay for extraction & false teeth because they consider teeth cosmetic surgery; just like they used to consider reconstructive surgery. Insurance also won't pay for fluoride trays which are needed during radiation as well as for the rest of their lives; assuming they're able to keep their teeth. My hub was diagnosed with oral cancer; so this may be our fight one day. They also won't pay for hearing aids after the hearing loss from radiation. We also don't know if the memory loss from radiation will be permanent

Then we have brain cancer; which we will be seeing a lot more of just like oral cancer; where younger people are losing their battles with the 1st operation. Depending on where they are cut; they could lose their speech; bowels; one side of their body until they are finally taken from the horrible disease.

I'm glad Susan Komens sister was so successful with her charity & hopefully someone will bring better awareness to other cancers as well. By the way; my mother in law was diagnosed in 2007; 1 year after losing her husband to brain cancer that was caught so late he wasn't actually diagnosed with what type until the day after he passed- it was about 7 weeks from the time he went to the ER until death. I know that 4 years later she still lives in fear it will return.

I was hopeful that Michael Douglas would be honest about his oral cancer to help raise awareness but he was not & I know this because of my hubs fight. Since oral cancer will start being diagnosed more & in younger people; the youngest I know is HPV+ in his low 20's; I'm hopeful that someone will eventually make oral cancer awareness what Susan Komen's sister did for breast cancer- I wish they would also include male breast cancer which is my biggest rant- the ribbon should have a blue stripe for the men because I know a man in your shoes...

Most BC blogs/posts I read do not like pink or do not like pink any more because of what BC did to over use. They don't like BC Barbie nor the "save the ta-ta's" wrist bands. There was a post at a board I go to about kids going to school with "I love boobies" bands & T shirts; they were all saying how unfair it was to not allow it in schools until I asked how they would feel if it was for testicular cancer & said "save the balls" or I love balls- or penile cancer... most wouldn't want their kids wearing something like that.

Anyway.. I agree.. enough about breast cancer awareness month because it's being shoved down people's throats & I wish people would care about one really important cancer & that's one that affects kids- pediatric cancer. With all of the cancer we've had; we're fortunate that it was not our kids & I'm very afraid for potential grand kids. Reading the blog of a little girl under 5 fighting brain cancer made my hub very thankful it was him & not our kids.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:41 PM

5 posts, read 7,854 times
Red face Shannon's Story Remission without chemotherapy

Quote:
Please try reading what i wrote out loud with a smile on your face "without anger or defensiveness". You misinterpreted my transparency for anger. I urge you to read it with compassion and a different perspective =).
My entry was written carefully, thoughtfully and without anger. Thank you for the flower, much appreciated.
I'm on facebook alive and well and in touch with many fighting the fight. Please friend me if you wish
https://www.facebook.com/shannonknight123

Last edited by shannonknight123; 08-22-2012 at 02:43 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 02:42 PM

5 posts, read 7,854 times
Thumbs up Have Cancer? Don't want chemo? Please visit website.

Have Cancer? Don't want chemo? Please visit website.
SHANNON'S STORY
Angels for Shannon

Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 PM

947 posts, read 1,635,339 times
Roselvr - Please get mammograms on a regular basis. Having a family history of breast cancer increases your risk however not having a family history does not mean you are exempt from developing it. I have breast cancer and no history of it in either side of my family.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:58 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,860,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
Roselvr - Please get mammograms on a regular basis. Having a family history of breast cancer increases your risk however not having a family history does not mean you are exempt from developing it. I have breast cancer and no history of it in either side of my family.
I know a lot of people who don't get mammograms. It is really essential to get one every year.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
I actually did have it back in March when I was able to stand long enough.
I'm happy to say that this was the 1st mammo I've had where I was not bruised at all. Usually I'm bruised for weeks. They got a new machine; so I'll try to be better about it.

My issue is I'm badly disabled to begin with & the mammo puts strain on my back & lungs; knocks the wind out of me plus I'm not able to stand after that for a few days.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:26 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,582,737 times
I had one in July and the new digital machine is sooo much less painful. I was in tears 2 yrs ago but this one was only uncomfortable, not painful.

Rose, could you ask for the machine where you lie down and your breast hangs out a hole in the table? Not sure if that would be easier for you. My friend who had breast cancer had to have it done that way afterwards, not sure why. She thought it was weird but not painful.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I had one in July and the new digital machine is sooo much less painful. I was in tears 2 yrs ago but this one was only uncomfortable, not painful.
Glad to read that it's not only me that finds them extremely painful.
It's like torture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Rose, could you ask for the machine where you lie down and your breast hangs out a hole in the table? Not sure if that would be easier for you. My friend who had breast cancer had to have it done that way afterwards, not sure why. She thought it was weird but not painful.
I didn't know they had something like this. I'll look into it if the new way gets painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer