Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:07 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,387 times

Advertisements

If there is, how come it doesn't get as much recognition as breast cancer? Don't they both have about the same stats?

(And I am not trying to be mean, I really want to know)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 09:33 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,871 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/cance...awareness.html

Old 11-10-2010, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,022 times
Prostrate cancer awareness month is celebrated in different countries in the month of September. Considering the fact that this cancer kills millions of men globally, there is special care being taken to spread awareness and raise funds in order to initiate research to control and cure this disease. The modes adopted by people to lend their support to this cause are amazing and different. While some choose to grow only their moustaches, others choose to grow stubble by not shaving or trimming throughout the month of November. Some men go the color way, and choose to wear a blue band, imitating the pink accessories worn by women to support breast cancer. This step seems to have worked as the survival rate of prostrate cancer patient has increased in the last few years.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:20 PM

109 posts, read 325,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
If there is, how come it doesn't get as much recognition as breast cancer? Don't they both have about the same stats?

(And I am not trying to be mean, I really want to know)

here is the list from: Cancer Awareness Calendar from Choose Hope

January
• Cervical Cancer Awareness Month
February
• National Cancer Prevention Month
March
• Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month
• National Kidney Cancer Awareness Month
April
• Head, and Neck Cancer Awareness Month
• Testicular Cancer Awareness Month
• Esophageal Cancer Awareness Month
May
• Brain Cancer Awareness Month
• Melanoma and Skin Cancer Awareness Month
June
• National Cancer Survivors Day
• Sarcoma Awareness Week
July
• Bladder Cancer Awareness Month
September
• Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
• Gynecologic Cancer Awareness Month
• Leukemia Awareness Month
• Lymphoma Awareness Month
• Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month
• Thyroid Cancer Awareness Week
• Prostate Cancer Awareness Month
October
• Breast Cancer Awareness Month
• Liver Cancer Awareness Month
November
• Lung Cancer Awareness Month
• National Family Caregivers Month
• Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month
• Stomach Cancer Awareness Month

Old 11-15-2010, 07:46 PM

The more I see and think about this "dedicated week/month" thing the more I want to flip the bird to it all, frankly. Oh and gotta love how most get a month but Sarcomas and Thyroid just get a week. I guess we care about them less.

If we MUST do this whole bit, just have ONE FOR ALL CANCERS already.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
The more I see and think about this "dedicated week/month" thing the more I want to flip the bird to it all, frankly. Oh and gotta love how most get a month but Sarcomas and Thyroid just get a week. I guess we care about them less.

If we MUST do this whole bit, just have ONE FOR ALL CANCERS already.
Do you know how painful your attitude to those of us whom have recently lost a loved one to cancer? Is it really necessary to post your bad attitude? If you don't want to hear about it don't read the thread. Or the ads, or anything else. Because there ARE awareness events and ways to raise awareness, most cancers are now becoming less deadly. If we are aware of something then we can do something to fight it, combat it, stop it. Catch it early.

Or, should we all just go around with blinders on and pretend these diseases don't exist? Not try to fight for cures?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:30 PM

I HAVE recently lost MORE than one loved one to cancer,Moderator cut: rude . And if you don't want to hear my responses then don't read them, or anything else. (etc etc etc) Works both ways.

PS and oh btw: most cancers aren't becoming less deadly because of these "official awareness months." Most cancers are becoming less deadly because of awareness in general, along with modern medicine, which has been working extensively on this long before "awareness months" became vogue. They toil in the background and far more often than not get little credit for it. Many don't even wear the official colors during official months. gasp

I'm all for awareness but grow sick of the awareness months (oops except for the sarcoma and thyroid people, who only deserve a week). Excuse me for having an opinion that differs from yours.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-16-2010 at 11:22 AM..

Old 11-15-2010, 09:03 PM

I wasn't being self riightous. sorry if I stepped on your toes. My partner just died from pancreatic cancer... no worries, I'll go away and let you rant your opintions

Old 11-16-2010, 04:36 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,042,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn1209 View Post
here is the list from: Cancer Awareness Calendar from Choose Hope

• National Cancer Survivors Day
Thanks for the list - and for letting me know that there is a National Cancer Survivors Day. I didn't know that until I read your post. Thanks. I'll take the liberty of adding the fact that the next National Cancer Survivors Day is June 5, 2011. For me that works out nicely as our local American Cancer Society Relay for Life usually falls during that same time period.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn1209 View Post
I wasn't being self riightous
Came off that way to me. Pardon the rant and I'm very sorry for your loss. Guess it's a rather sensitive topic all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer