Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 10:03 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,649,653 times

Advertisements

My mother was diagnosed at age 69 in 1990 with pancreatic cancer after a year of seeing doctors for what she said felt like gas pain around her stomach and back area. They gave her 3 months, she lived for 7 months. I took care of her at home and my heart ached for her suffering. This is one of the worst cancers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 05:03 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
My ex wife's father died of the disease. The doctors gave him two years and he made it two years and 2 months. My ex was 11 when he passed away. So when I was diagnosed with cancer brought back all sorts of memories and feelings for them.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:52 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
I want to add this information I posted elsewhere- The people on the PC board I go to suggest 3 places to get opinions from-

Now consider that M D Anderson in TX, Johns Hopkins in MD and Dr. Fine @ Columbia in NYC are the best at treating pc in this country. They all have complete areas dedicated strictly to pc. Why would you want to go anywhere else; you need the best care you can find!

Dr Fine -The Pancreas Center @ Columbia -
Columbia direct link (http://cumc.columbia.edu/dept/cs/pancreas/guide_team_robertf - broken link)
Address: Black Building
650 West 168th Street
20-05
New York, NY 10032

Phone: 212.305.1168
Fax: 212.305.7348

Multidisciplinary Pancreatic Cancer Team at Johns Hopkins- Pancreatic cancer message board
401 North Broadway
Baltimore, MD, 21287-5678

410-933-7262
main PC page
Pancreatic Cancer Research Center at Johns Hopkins -this is the information page

John Hopkins PC 2nd opinion - is a 2nd opinion page

Referral page- this is a page to tell how your Dr can get the referrals

MD Anderson - 1-877-MDA (632) -6789 There is a lot of information on this link- MD Anderson Pancreatic Cancer (http://www.mdanderson.org/patient-and-cancer-information/can - broken link)

Stand up to cancer had a pancreatic cancer grant- link here

See here- PANCREATIC CANCER DREAM TEAM (DREAM TEAM SERIES PART 2 OF 5) (http://www.standup2cancer.org/node/4536 - broken link) - Cutting Off the Fuel Supply: A New Approach to the Treatment of Pancreatic Cancer / Leaders: Craig B. Thompson, M.D., Director, Abramson Cancer Center at the University of Pennsylvania, and Daniel D. Von Hoff, M.D., Senior Investigator and Physician in Chief at the Translational Research Genomics Institute (TGen).

You can read more about it here- someone from Hopkins is on the team

Progress Report: Pancreatic Cancer Dream Team - As the fourth leading cause of cancer death in the United States, pancreatic cancer remains one of the most deadly forms of cancer. More than 90 percent of patients die within the first year of diagnosis. Recent advancements have had little impact, and a new approach is desperately needed.

These are the people on the Pancreatic Team -
Leaders:
Craig B. Thompson, M.D., director, Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania
Daniel D. Von Hoff, M.D., senior investigator and physician-in-chief, Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen)

Principals:
Chi V. Dang, M.D., Ph.D., vice dean for research, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Joshua D. Rabinowitz, M.D., Ph.D., assistant professor of chemistry and integrative genomics, Princeton University
Geoffrey M. Wahl, Ph.D., Professor, Gene Expression Laboratory, the Salk Institute for Biological Studies

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOv7sutKlgU

Old 11-26-2010, 04:03 PM

109 posts, read 325,525 times
It would be great if everyone could go to one of these places but, there are times finances do not permit.... or helath insurance... :-{

Old 11-26-2010, 05:19 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
They do phone consults. I don't know how it works but they can get your records electronically; then they guide the local places on treatment from what I understand.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:32 PM

109 posts, read 325,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
They do phone consults. I don't know how it works but they can get your records electronically; then they guide the local places on treatment from what I understand.
that's good to know... it's too late for my darling but maybe I can help someone else with the information...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer